main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Hamp Disturbance in the Force -- PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jediscar, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jediscar

jediscar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2007
    Hello fellow Star Wars fans!

I have sensed a disturbance in the force amongst our group. This was confirmed when I saw TK's return message saying that there have been issues raised in the last week that need to be addressed.
    I have been thinking about it all morning and feel that we should address these issues out in the open. I believe that some tensions have arisen are becuase of "growing pains." We took a big step in August by hosting a charity/fund-raising event. We now have money in the account and coming to a concensus on how best to spend that money, both for large and small expenses, can be difficult for a group. I think that we should create guidelines, as a group, for how to address policies, money matters, and other group concerns. These would include what determines membership, attendance requirements, how to vote on new policies, spending, and events, establish a regular meeting day each month, and create a set of elected officials to help oversee operations.
    I know this doesn't sound like much fun, but I feel that guidelines are necessary now that we have a significant amount of money to manage. I understand that the group did not do well the last time it was in a similar position, so lets try to head problems off in advance.
    I will be happy to write up a set of proposed guidelines, policies, and description of elected officer responsibilities. I currently serve on the board for the chorale I belong to, so I will likely use our current manual as a rough guideline. I will be happy to host a meeting on Saturday, November 15th. We can discuss, alter, and hopefully agree on a charter and set of policies at that time. I would like to have it around 4:00, with ample time for people to stay after, play games, watch a movie, etc and have some fun as well!
    Please, respond to this message with your own opinions about this and whether or not you can make it on the 15th. I think it would be in the best interest of the group to do this. In the meantime, I will type up a draft manual and post it on here no later than 11/8 so everyone has a chance to read them over before we discuss.

MTFBWY,
    Steve

2. Rotag21

Rotag21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Hello All!!

I agree, there is a lot to go over. Everything Steve posted is almost dead on. So we do need to get together. The question is when? I know I can not make the 15th. Only because it is a Saturday which means work. With it being a Saturday I believe Pete would not be able to go as well... due to work.

Brandon should be at work as well. Yes... thats right work. It looks like he may finally start working again. That means Saturday as well. Lets keep those figures crossed. lol

Like in the past, Sunday is usally the best day for all for the most part. I know Sunday the 16th. is the Portsmith Comic show. Which is Ralphs show... You know JET PACK!! I was hoping we could set up a group table there maybe? Do some fund raising. I will be there selling stuff myself.

In the past our November meetings have all ways been the SMF show. That seems to be the best place for everyone each year around this time. We could also have it that night at SMF maybe? I guess will wait to see what every one else post.

SeeYa,
    TK

3. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    I would have suggested SMF as well if I would be attending. I have company from out of town arriving on the 21st and wife's birthday on the 23rd. Since I volunteered to write the draft and have experience in working on executive boards of non-profit groups, I thought I should be there. So, for the 3rd month in a row, I've offered to host a meeting at my house. I could not offer the 16th becuase I have family plans that day or the 9th because that will no permit me time to write the draft.

4. Darth_Cobern

Darth_Cobern Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2008
    I think that we should have a designated meeting date, such as the third Sunday of the month, for every month. That way members should be able to plan for the meetings, and if they still can't come, then they could post suggestions in advance.
    I think that if you want to have a meeting at SMF, then, as usual, ther will be no stopping your highness.

5. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2003
    Well, I've sat back and read all the posts and opinions and I feel it's time to weigh in.

If this is as an important topic that we need to address, then we need to do so ASAP. There are some concerns to be addressed, both club and non club related. I feel that November 15/16 is too far away, so I would suggest that we meet as soon as everyone can, on a date that everyone can attend so we can all address these issues. I don't care where we meet, what time or whatever. That is of no consequence. What is of consequence is what is best for this group. If we need to create a set of policies, rules, what have you, then we need to do this as a group. That way anyone with issues or suggestions can pose them in front of everyone and address what they need to address, and then vote and agree on what we as a group propose.

I don't want anyone to feel that I am singling them out, but let's remember: we live as a group and die as a group.

I understand that we have not all gotten together as a full group since the Clone Wars dinner, through no fault of ANYONE. Sometimes life does take over and for any number of reasons we haven't been face to face for almost 3 months, and it seems to have bred, for the lack of a better term, some 'attitudes'. I, for one believe that the sniping that has begun on this board is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. I may be overstepping my bounds here but I don't care. This public airing is unbecoming. If you have issues with someone here, then take it PRIVATE with PMs. I will not sit idly by and watch this group that I care deeply for come apart. I've made some great friends through this group and enjoy spending my time with all of you, so let's put aside our differences and work out these problems!

6. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    Thanks for your reply, Baron. I completely agree. We need to resolve this as a group. That was my original intent on starting this topic. I was hoping to provide a forum and a method of preventing things from getting to where they are progressing towards. I take responsibility for my inappropriate responses on here, but do not like being provoked when I also have the groups best interest in mind.

I am free to meet on Thursday night or Sunday of this week; Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday night, or Sunday of the following week. I hope that we can live as a group!

7. Darth_Cobern

Apr 29, 2008
    has the shroud of the Dark Side fallen?

8. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Feb 9, 2003
    For everyone out there, Brandon has graciously offered his place for the meet this Saturday at 6 PM. I feel that Manchester is somewhat central, so if you can make it please reply here. If everyone can't make it, then we can plan another place/time that works for everyone. Myself, I am pretty much open for the weekend.

Take care everyone!

9. Cephas

Cephas Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2003
    I can't make meetings on saturdays. I work in the morning/afternoon and have joined a gaming group in the evening that allows me to renew a friendship that ended a few years back.

I also need to get a part time job to help with my bills and will probably have to work on Sundays. I might be able to swing a Sunday off from time to time. If we did meetings from, say, 5 or 6 at Brandon's on Sundays I could most likely make that regularly.

As for SMF I will not be able to go this year (see above.)

Once I have the info from TK, I will switch the site over to new address.

10. theimmortaljedi

theimmortaljedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2008
    where is smf held? I am also working saterday. Hope to make a meeting as I have yet not met anyone.

11. theimmortaljedi

theimmortaljedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2008
    Not sure who to ask this of but I noticed that other star wars groups have a live chat once a month to talk about the clone wars show. ANother has a live chat where everyone rewatches a star wars movie to have it fresh in their mind then have a live chat about that. I was thinking maybe even once every two months if say we could agree on a book from star wars and a book club chat live about our thoughts. JUst some crazy thoughts. Maybe no one will go for them. Just thought it would be a common way for the group to connect and everyone hoping online atthe same time may not be that hard. maybe, but maybe not. I also have been asked to do a live podcast on the martial arts of star wars. I want to mention are group. I know I have met no one in person but am I an officail member? ALso I have some stuff I want to donate to the group to sell but to keep the money in our fund. Does anyone do ebay for this? It may be a way to raise some funds. I would also like to have info on smf a link maybe and a way to run into anyone from the group. thanks

12. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    Can folks please post specific days between now and SMF that they are available to meet? Thank to Brandon for offering this Saturday, but that also does not work for me. My list of dates again are:

SUnday 11/2
    Thursday 11/6
    Saturday 11/8
    Sunday 11/9
    Thursday 11/13
    Friday 11/14
    Saturday 11/15
    Sunday 11/16
    Thursday 11/20

13. Darth_Cobern

Apr 29, 2008
    this sunday 11/2 is good for us as well as subsequent sundays

14. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    Can anyone else do this Sunday??

15. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    I've researched how to become an official non-profit organization as well as found a website that lists some advantages and disadvantages of doing so. For us, the major advantage would be having financial transparency and legal protection for activities that include raising funds as a charitable group, specifically limiting liability to any one member (say, the treasurer or president). The NH government site has the legal mumbo jumbo about filing paperwork and the other site has the advantages/disadvantages to becoming a non-profit. Check them out. I am happy to answer questions and will study up more before the potential meeting on Sunday.

http://foundationcenter.org/getstarted/faqs/html/np_pro_con.html

http://doj.nh.gov/publications/chari.html

I know that it doesn't sound like much fun, but, for the most part, it is a one-time set of paperwork and an annual update for the government each year. I think the official status to be more public in our activities and protection we would have as a group would be worth it.

16. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Feb 9, 2003
    I can do this Sunday, just name the time and place...

17. Rotag21

Rotag21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I can not make this Sunday due to work. I have a double this Sunday 10am to 9pm due to my stores Holiday meeting. I can do the Nov. 8th. ...that is at night.

Brandon will be having a get together that night and that may work out to be the best.

SeeYa,
    TK

As for info on SMF you can go to the following site.

www.supermegafest.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.