main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  2. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    YEP that's pretty blatant. Qui-Gon makes the cut and Luke and Leia show up twice but Finn and Poe apparently aren't important enough.

I don't think that's a "Lucasfilm poster" in the same vein as say, the official Celebration posters, but it's still officially licensed art. Anyone who has a Twitter can tweet at the company selling the poster here. They're at least replying to people's feedback (so far anyways).

And before anyone pops in with, "Well this poster is just about the Force/Skywalker plot, Finn and Poe are in the Resistance plot," sorry I don't buy it, this sort of separation in the marketing wasn't a thing back when almost everyone was white so it's rather convenient for it to suddenly start when we have an all-white Force plot and majority-POC war plot.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah that's not a good look. Finn and Poe should be there for sure at least. Also the makeup makes no sense.

-Anakin is up there with the other main villains, but he wasn't the main villain of the PT (Sheev was).
    -Yoda is sandwiched in-between two droids.
    -Qui Gon being there despite only being in one film.
    -Etc.

Yeah it should have been (imo):

PT-Anakin, Obi Wan, Padme, and Sheev (at the top). Also maybe Yoda and/or Qui Gon.
    OT-Luke, Han, Leia, and Vader (at the top). Also maybe Obi Wan and/or Yoda.
    ST-Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo (at the top). Also maybe Rose and/or Luke.

4. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    After Solo`s introduction of certain possibilities, this phrase conjures up a certain mental image. :eek: They are all so compatible size-wise even.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    "Why hello, what have we here?" Sorry, couldn't resist.

6. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016

For what it's worth. You can contact the company about it. And they have replied to a few already.

7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The tumblr guy is right. In that even if you go with the creator's explanation that all the chosen characters are akin to the "Skywalker Family Saga," why is BB-8 included?

Aside from being in the same room as Leia, he has nothing integral to the Skywalker family.

8. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    LucasFilm has been blatant about removing Finn from promotional images since the movie came out. I will take that as a hint not to bother with Ep 9.

Kurenai24, Jedha and Troopa212 like this.
  9. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Actually Finn has been shafted numerous times with regards to promotional materials since before TFA even came out. This latest mishap, if you want to give the benefit of the doubt and call it that, is just a continuation of what was already going on.
    Recall that he was:
    1. Shrunk on the Chinese TFA poster
    2. Completely cut out of the SWCO street poster which was also the TFA poster
    3. Left off the TLJ teaser poster
    4. Left out of the TLJ teaser trailer
    5. Was almost completely absent from the official TLJ trailer
    You would think with all the complaints that they've gotten because of these things, they would have learned their lesson by now and made it a point to do better but I guess that's a little too much to ask.
    At this point, none of us should be surprised. When any of this stuff happens, Lucasfilm never even makes a statement distancing themselves from it. They just stay silent, and eventually show that they have no intentions to learn their lessons and do better. I guess that should tell us all we need to know with regards to how they feel about Finn and what they think about his fans.

10. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Lol remember when Pablo was saying that a lot of Finn material was being saved for after TLJ? And that's why he wasn't featured heavily in promo? What a bunch of nonsense that was.

And since we're supposed to be getting away from the Skywalkers being "too central," I'm surprised so many people just looooove this poster... How ******* convenient.

11. Admiral Keller

Admiral Keller Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2017

This helps no one, further causes divisions in the fandom and leads to all sorts of crap. Like it or not there are people out there who have been labeled as the most vile sorts of scum just because they dare profess a different point of view. We all need to do better.

Some of you have seen what I post in these threads. I'm not a hot head and I'm not alt-right but this crap makes me boil

12. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    The responses she's getting fill me with glee. They're saying what needs to be said when she tried so hard to be "woke" and slick.

wobbits and Jedha like this.
  13. Admiral Keller

Admiral Keller Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2017
    Some of the responses are not the best. I'm a Libertarian by nature, but I've had crap like this directed at me more times then I can count (if I had a dime for every time...). I've been called a Nazi, NeoCon (some of you will know what this is really implying), Alt-right. I'm sick of all of it, from all sides.

14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

"I don't mean this to sound like an insult..."

Good job, Amanda. Nailed it.

15. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    This poster situation is kind of a given for me. As a black man, exclusion in medis is just something I’ve sort come to expect at this point. It’s pretty annoying and I’m glad that Lucasfilm (or whoever is involved) is getting called out on it.

Honestly, though, all I care about is how Finn (and Poe and Rose) are portrayed in the movies because that’s where it counts the most for me. Merchandise is a huge part of the SW market, but personally I just need Finn’s character to get the story he deserves. I’m not necessarily optimistic about Episode IX in terms of what’s going to happen with the characters, but I’ll still be there for Finn regardless. He’s a groundbreaking character and new kind of character for blockbuster cinema. That means something to me.

16. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    I have a crazy theory... maybe LucasFilm is figuring they can win the 'majority' of older fans back if they slowly phase out the most obvious characters of color or rather 'put them in the corner'. Since fans of Finn and Poe are literally the minority and considered a nuisance by this point-, not having them visible isn't much of a deal breaker. I'd add Rose to this but her sudden (and temporary) boost in popularity came from the Instagram event.

lol, I am basically exhausted by this point.

Troopa212 and Jedha like this.
  17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Inevitable gif. Sorry.

18. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    Why would LF make such a calculation? Ok correct me if I am wrong, but the "so called" Alt- Right,( and I would not even call the majority of the objectors that but I will here for the sake of argument) hate Rey, Holdo & Rose way more than they hate Finn & Poe. I shouldn't even say they hate Finn & Poe, I felt like the majority of the complaints from the so called right felt that Finn & Poe where diminished in TLJ by Holdo & Rose because they are male and the left feel it is because they are POC. I am in the middle, I think they are diminished because they are POC males and just much easier to throw under the bus and ignore.

The majority of the opposition from the "right" & dissenters is to Rey PROPER, She is ubermensch and an unlikable and unrelatable character who is diminishing Luke.

As an a older, left leaning libertarian, female POC. Rey is now one of my least favorite character, but there she is! Skywalker Saga, Kylo's future wifey & baby's mama! Well, sign me out, I will not be a part of it, I will not pay to see it. I am done and tired.

Troopa212 and AhsokaSolo like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually thought the person posting that tweet was being facetious or sarcastic. Looks like she’s being serious...and absolutely ridiculous, not to mention unhelpful. Those of us who are concerned about equality in representation will get directed by the alt-right crowd to someone like that as an example of what we “really” think.

And I agree with some of the responders that she is being racist and sexist, given that she is lumping all white males into the “no gurlz or colerds in my Star Wars treehouz “ crowd, when most white males that I have encountered in the fandom, want no part of that crap.

20. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    I think it depends on who you ask (which I don't recommend doing). Finn arguably got the most hate before the Sequel Trilogy even started. And he's still pretty hated among racists and bigots. Many people call him useless and relegate him to being the unfunny black comic relief character, which he's not. Poe is definitely the least hated of all of them...for certain reasons that I won't get into.

Also, I'm a little curious about the use of quotes and the "so-called" before the words Alt-Right, though. Not a criticism or a jab, just an observation.

21. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017

I am not a flat earther or a climate change denier! There is such a thing as the Alt Right, I just don't believe that everyone that hates the last Jedi is a racist or a bigot.

But Finn has been regulated to the unfunny black comic relief that has been tazed 3 times in 2 movies. That is why the SDCC poster and LF calling people out as racist and bigots is just so ironic.

You know what Jesus said

Matthew 7:3-5
    “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The alt-right are comprised of people who think WASPs are superior to everyone else and that they, as male WASPs, are entitled to set social, cultural and political policy, and women and POC (and LGBTQ people) are obligated to submit and fall in line. It doesn’t have much if anything to do with flat-Earthers.

That’s a separate topic though, and overall I agree with you. Plenty of people dislike TLJ who are not alt-right. I dislike it because it’s representation of women and POC are a little too stereotypical and traditional. The opposite of alt-right thought.

23. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    Of course and that is not what I meant. The OP was implying that I was implying that there was no such thing as an alt right. The earth is not flat, climate change is real and the alt right are a real group.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    * Rey is the lead character, it doesn't matter how much 'hate' or criticism she gets she's always going to be present for the story and she will always have the media sticking up for her existence.
    * Holdo was a one shot and Rose was a last minute addition. Rose being placed away from the main story again won't really affect her popularity anymore than it already is.
    * As for the 'Alt-right', I've seen these types simply use Finn and Poe as a reason to say 'male characters are being emasculated', other than that they prefer Kylo Ren so there is no love lost there.

* As above.
    * Rey as a character disappoints me, she is now much like Kylo Ren, coasting on popularity of the Skywalkers; she can do no wrong because she will always have "The Force" to fall back on.
    * Finn and Poe are portrayed as average joes who are gooder than good and are not being promoted by the company or built up by script. If you have critics even saying these two don't affect the story then LucasFilm is going to take a hint from them and not the fans.

I hate being this pessimistic but I have to take what LucasFilm is giving me.

dragonchic likes this.
  25. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    Oh, I wasn't making any accusations. Like I said, it was just an observation.

I also don't think that most people who dislike TLJ are bigots. I've seen a heck of a lot of hate disguised as criticism in regards to the film, but there are plenty legitimate criticisms that people have when it comes to The Last Jedi and the ST. It's just not everyone's cup of tea. And that's fine.

I'm gonna agree to disagree on this one. This is a pretty touchy subject. However, I'll leave it at this:

Personally, I feel that the movies show that Finn is a lot of things: not just (un)funny and black. He's not Chris Tucker's character in Rush Hour or the cool, dope black best friend in most modern movies. He's a genuine human being with a wide range of emotions and a capacity for love, bad decisions, and heroism. He's someone who learns and changes. Someone who gains an exceptional amount of growth in the span of two films. I can't think of any characters like Finn in blockbuster cinema, except for maybe T'Challa from Black Panther and Adonis Johnson from Creed.

That's not to say the writing of his character is perfect. There are quite a few things to criticize. However, I will never not talk about how great Finn is.