main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Let's stay on track. This is not a TFA complaint thread.

2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    She isn't perfect, though. She gets freaked out by the vision, runs from the saber, gets paralysed, knocked out, abducted, thrown against a tree and knocked out again and finally, gets her arse kicked and backed up against a cliff.

ReyKenobi, Kerlosh, Satipo and 3 others like this.
  3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

If Episode VIII is executed properly, I think a lot of these arguments will fade. Like I said in a previous post, I truly believe JJ and Lawrence pushed back a lot of the struggle and particular emotional weight of the film to Episode VIII in order to tell a more light hearted tale of adventure. Long as we get that in Episode VIII (which again I think will get) I think a lot of these arguments will subside.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  4. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Yeah, that's what i'm hoping for.
    At least we had Kylo and a lot of other great things.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep. I am still waiting for an answer as to whether Rey would be viewed as "too perfect" or "forced" if she were a man.

I appreciate the Man of Steel comparison with Superman from Luke02 , I think it's a fair one. Zejo the Jedi who originally made the "too perfect" and "forced" complaint has avoided responding to the question though. Is it safe to take the response as "No, I would not have the same complaints about a male character, because men are supposed to be powerful but women are just supposed to be hot" (or "the primary purpose of a female character is to be hot")? I hope there is another answer, and don't insult heterosexual males by pretending they all hold this abhorrent view.

ReyKenobi, Kerlosh, Jazz9276 and 2 others like this.
  6. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Of course i would have the same complaints.

7. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    The best part is, notice how neither Luke nor Rey couldn't have done those things if Han or Finn didn't come back to help them. Han saved Luke from getting shot down, and Finn not only helped Rey escape from SKB (avoiding the possibility of her being re-captured again since she had no idea where she was even going, there were stormtroopers on high alert, and all of the exits had been sealed), and he fought Kylo Ren to protect her when she'd been knocked out (otherwise she would've been re-captured or killed again).

Star Wars movies are all about team work.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Finn/Rey teamwork was awesome, and her not needing him to hold her hand...I can't see the same issues being brought forth if a male lead rebuffed a female character the same way.

As far as Twilight, that is not the kind of franchise that "females" like, it is the type of franchise that "sappy people" like, and I find the story insulting to intelligence. And calling Star Wars a predominantly male-centric franchise ignores and marginalizes those of us who have been fans for decades.

ReyKenobi, Jedi Jessy, B3 and 2 others like this.
  9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    One thing that I think should be noted is Rey's background or lack of. Yes by having it be a mystery it makes for a lot more interesting trilogy but it does lend itself to having arguments about whether she became too powerful too fast being more valid. Or think of this way. If she was indeed Luke's daughter, would be having these same arguments? No I don't believe so. The fact her background is still a mystery gives more credence to this argument of her becoming too powerful to fast. Had she been Rey Skywalker and simply did not remember (which was one of the rumor endings), I don't think this argument would really taking place. Again I think this all become moot after Episode VIII where Rey's struggles become much more relevant both physically and more importantly, emotionally plus we will learn her background finally..or hoping we do!! [face_nail_biting][face_praying]

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It's really simple imo. If she were perfect, then:

-She wouldn't have needed Finn to save her like four different times.
    -She would have nearly gotten them all killed on Han's freighter.
    -She wouldn't have been captured and tortured in the first place.
    -Han wouldn't have died.
    -Finn wouldn't be in a coma.
    -Etc.

So now, she ain't perfect. Also I could start listing off how quickly Luke picks up on stuff in ANH, or even Anakin in TPM, and all of their accomplishments there. But I'm tired of that debate and it just leads to arguments.

Really the ONLY question mark, is her Force abilities (her other skills are perfectly explainable within the narrative already, and were explained). And in the former's case, I suspect that it'll be tied into, whatever her origins end up being.

In regards to KK's comments, she's got a point. I heard more than a few people complain about some of changes being made, including having a female lead. And the argument tended to be something along the lines of "well SW has always been primarily geared towards men. It's a male-centric franchise and there's nothing wrong with that and why do we need to change it for PC, etc." Actually, it was depressing how often I heard that.

For some people it would seem, trying anything new, or trying to bring in any new fans, is a bad thing for some reason.

Vizzy91, ReyKenobi, Kerlosh and 6 others like this.
  11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Such a non-story.

More relevant is the writer's rather bizarre statement:

Regardless, women are gaining representation in the Star Wars franchise at a faster rate, something all involved admitted was a problem in the early films (there are literally two female characters in the entirety of the original film, Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, and one is killed in the first act).

TFA only had one new female character of significance in Rey and then the alien Maz and the useless Phasma despite KK saying:

Speaking with the LA Times Kathleen Kennedy confirmed earlier this month that the cool-looking Captain Phasma, played by Gwendoline Christie, will be back for more. "She’s an important character, a baddie in the best sense of the word," the Lucasfilm honcho said.

[face_rofl]

For Rogue One it's the same pretty much with Jinn's mother in some small role.

Now they are both the leads which is great but how about some more co-leads and support? Why couldn't her mother be the genius? Why for that matter couldn't Krennic be a woman?

So far I'd say that KK has done nowhere near enough overall outside of the two leads.

Also having two beautiful women in leads is hardly going against what is expected.

12. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001

Allow me to quote my now 13 year old daughter who was raised watching real vampires on Buffy. At about age 7 (or however old she was whenever Twilight was in its zenith) she declared: "Vampires that sparkle in the sunlight are lame."

And yes, Star Wars has appealed to females since the get go. I'm about the same age as anakinfansince1983, there were grade school girls like us out in the backyard playing Star Wars with the boys in the neighborhood pretending that we were a certain princess that kicked ass and took names. We've been there since the beginning.

Vizzy91, ReyKenobi, Kerlosh and 9 others like this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm 42, and male, and I agree with this too. There were girls in my neighborhood and at school who liked SW too (especially because of Leia). Some people may have assumed all along that SW is "just for boys", but those people have always been wrong.

14. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    I would say they're too forced and perfect even if it was a male. For me, I just feel like Hollywood is afraid to write female characters with any type of vulnerability right now because they're a little too concerned with making them into "heroes that girls can look up to". I don't think Rey has to almost immediately fix any mistake she makes or be instantly liked and gravitated to by other characters, or be almost entirely independent of anyone needing to rescue her or help her for little girls or anyone for that matter to like her. Those are some of the key characteristics of a Mary Sue character, and that's why I've called her a Mary Sue.

Zejo the Jedi likes this.
  15. Lord Farnsworth

Lord Farnsworth Jedi Padawan star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    It depends. I know plenty of girls who have no interest in Star Wars. It's like anything else in the world. Different strokes for different folks. Having female leads is not going to increase female presence. It just serves those females who were present from the beginning. I will admit I have no interest in Rogue One. The conversations after TFA has been too much of a battle, and I'm just worn out. Too many people have personal interest, and I just don't give a Sugar Honey Iced Tea.

16. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    I hope to see Rey in real danger that she can't just escape by herself. I want some balance between the characters in this especially between Finn and Rey. He needs real W's and she needs real L's.

Zejo the Jedi likes this.
  17. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

The rest of your post contradicts your first line.

For example you talk of a lack of vulnerability, and yet I clearly remember seeing a terrified Rey being frozen to the spot, and then rendered unconscious before being carried in that 'monster carry" pose. Later on she literally had her mind invaded, and her deepest fears read. Did Luke have comparable vulnerability in his first appearance? In fact, has any Star Wars character been put in such a classically vulnerable position? I guarantee you that any male rendered unconscious and carried by a character of either gender would be ridiculed and/or seen as being utterly humiliated or overpowered.

The fact that the vulnerability was eventually overcome is beside the point; a lot of people are straight up saying she didn't have any set backs and was invincible, which simply isn't the case.

Also, I think it's kind of not OK to moan about the idea of 'creating characters girls can look up to" as if that's sneer worthy. I'm sick, and I'm sure plenty of women are sick, of female characters who exist just to be saved, or to be a vessel for a man's libido, or to bear children. If there's one thing that the concept of the force does, it is to level the physical abilities of men and women so that women can be the kick ass heroes. Having a problem with that is sexist, and shouldn't be tiptoed around. If you sneer at Lucasfilm thinking about who female children might want to look up to, then your attitude is a problem.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't have statistics as to whether female leads increase female presence because, as someone who has been here from the beginning, I haven't cared that much. I will say that I am a bigger fan than either of my sons and have found the most fan camaraderie from male friends.

Depends on what you mean by "vulnerability." I think the damsel-in-distress trope has been so grossly overused in the past that I am appreciative of efforts to get away from it. I also am not a fan of overly emotional characters, male or female. (My user name does NOT include many AOTC and ROTS scenes.)

Kerlosh, Jedi Jessy and CEB like this.
  19. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

And who would you like to see her get rescued by?

Kerlosh, Jedi Jessy, WhyKnock and 3 others like this.
  20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    My vote goes to Space Horse.

21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The horse better be believably strong though. If it's not descended from Red Rum and if we don't see it trained to rescue helpless women, I'm not buying it. And if the horse used to be First Order but rescues a Resistance memberwhile trampling over former friends, then I'm OUT. Unless we get some real character explanation about how the horse was able to defect.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I'm also out if we don't see Space Horse get any wins against regular stormtroopers.

23. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    -^:)^

And in Scooby Doo style she swings in and pulls of the veiled mask. Thank the heavens we have KK in charge.

I actually agree with What Girl :eek:

What Girl likes this.
  24. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I'd like to see someone try to properly answer this, because this is at the heart of all of it; that Rey should be "rescued" implies that it's OK for someone to exist who is more perfect than Rey. Which implies that some characters can be perfect or powerful, but not others.

25. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I don't need to see Rey rescued per the damsel in distress trope. I'd like to see her challenged much like Luke was in ESB. Sure, hand her butt to her on a platter, sever a limb, make her a prisoner of Snoke like the one spoiler said. Even challenge and seduce her with the Dark Side. Sure, the other characters--Finn, Poe, Luke, Leia, and even that stinker Kylo may play a role in bringing her back from the brink. But that is not rescuing. If this is the hero's journey, allow her to find it in herself to rescue herself from the evil of the movie, even if that evil may be found within. I have no problems with the other characters assisting in this process. But she needs to be the one, just like Luke did. to find the strength within to overcome.

So I have no problems with the Falcon flying in as she falls off something after a valliant battle (Luke on the weather vane at the tip of Cloud City), or a friend extending a hand on a bridge (yes, a parallel to Kylo and Han, get over it) where a Dark Rey takes the hand instead of plunging a lightsaber. I want the action to free herself to come from her.

What I don't need is some maiden trapped in a tower waiting for the Tin Man, Scarecrow and Cowardly Lion (take the costumes off Poe, Finn and you too Kylo) storming the castle to rescue the helpless girl crying for her Auntie Em because she can't figure out how to open the door.

Valency Jane likes this.