main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I agree that Thandie is probably a bit too old to play:
    Rae Sloane at this point in the timeline (she'd be perfect for a post-ROTJ Aftermath Sloane though. However, I feel like she could pull of playing a really intimidating Imperial, or just authority figure in-general. She could be quite imposing on Westworld when she needed to be.

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I think she'd be much cooler as an underworld character. She has a wild-eyed, reckless spirit about her. As if her soul is trying to burst out of her skin. That doesn't read Imperial to me.

Waller-Bridge, on the other hand? Imperial. For sure. Though she could also do a cynical smuggler type, I'm sure.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Note: If you're doing comparisons between the ST and the Anthologies as far as cast diversity goes, that's fine. But if you're mostly discussing diversity in the Anthologies and/or Newton's possible role in the Han Solo movie, that should go in the "Diversity in the Anthologies" thread in the Anthology forum.

Artoo-Dion and cerealbox like this.
  4. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
  5. TheNetherworld

TheNetherworld Jedi Knight

Feb 4, 2017
    I think they overdid diversity in Rogue One. Not a single white guy in the squad? And the main hero was still white, so the diversity didn't really mean anything. Jyn could've easily been non-white.

6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    It is funny how a large number of fans assumed from Jyn's looks and accent, that should would be Rey's mom.

Then both actresses were somewhat mad that people assumed that. Lol.

If you don't want the audience to assume that, don't necessarily keep hiring people with the same look.

7. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
  8. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

9. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    oh ok.

Didn't say that in the title otherwise I would not have wasted my time.

10. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

Now we have another lol
    [​IMG]

11. DemonKingBalor32

DemonKingBalor32 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2017

in my opinion all i care about is if the movie is good. i liked rouge one more than i thought i was going to because originally i hated the idea of spin offs and i can easily say the whole diversity thing never bugged or bugs me at all . i just feel people look to start an argument so they go hey this franchise is white washing or this franchise has one white person. we are at a place in society now where everything has to be pc

12. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Not trying to be a crabby apple but this thread is titled "Diversity' yet is a very specific embodiment of discussion topic.

Sort of an oxymoron.

Just wanted to voice my opinion.

I will now leave this thread permanently.

Carry on.

13. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    Yeah won't somebody think of the aliens??? They deserve representation too. :(

Jedi Jessy - Don't forget Phoebe Waller-Bridge

[​IMG]

14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Of course, the Duros and Rodians here on earth want to see themselves represented in films too. Just to be clear I'm being sarcastic here.

Actually representation in films means a lot to a lot of people. It's great that the Star Wars films are including more diversity.

15. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    would love vader and rae sloane in a movie together. do the timelines add up?

i realize the above post wasn't so much about vader....

16. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I honestly don't care about diversity. I just want good acting and I'm happy. People get too hung up on diversity in films in my opinion.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  17. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    We should care more about the real issues. Stuff that change the way we look at the world: Like establishing, for good, who shot first between Han and Greedo, campaign to get an opening crawl for the anthology movies, worshipping Boba Fett, Rey's parents etc...

All these very important issues that the average Star Wars fanboy get too hung up about.

18. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    I don't care about any of those things either.

19. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    Why do you check this thread if you don't care? I didn't even addressed, quoted or tagged you?

20. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    NHB0M Human curiosity. I find it curious that so many people care and have the need to see someone of their own race on screen in order to relate. And just because you didn't specifically address me you are on a public forum. Just giving an opinion.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It's not in order to relate. It's just nice to see acknowledgement that not every story has to be only about white heterosexual males, nearly all of the time.

And, I'm a white heterosexual male.

22. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    Ask Kathleen Kennedy:
    [​IMG]

dragonchic likes this.
  23. DemonKingBalor32

DemonKingBalor32 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2017

agreed and i am the same as far as white heterosexual male go's . not to get political but i think movies speak to people where people who feel oppressed would like to see some kind of achievment ( i think is the word) or maybe acceptance in a lead or in a key powerful position . i mean everyone watches movies its part of human culture so its a platform people could use to give insight of hey divesity is never an issue despite peoples ignorance in the world

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014
    I still don't see why it matters. My race is almost never represented on film outside of westerns, and then most of the time we're represented inaccurately. Hell, some of the old westerns I enjoy don't even have real Native Americans in them....they're played by Italians. I just don't get the big deal.

25. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Go out and ask various people of color and ask them if they care about seeing minority characters leading movie and TV shows.

Broaden your views and understanding of people from different races.