main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Let me answer the specific question:
    "why is it OK for Finn to be nearly killed and lose a lot but not okay for Rey?"

1: taking the question at face value, the answer would be "because a writer can create two characters with varied, differing skill sets, and different roles within a dynamic, which may or may not shift over the narrative"
    In other words: writers can make up characters who do stuff they want the characters to do.

2: it would be OK for Rey to "nearly be killed"; she just happened not to be in this film.

3: you seem to be bringing a specific desire to have a certain type of black male represented which you are prioritising above another character

4: point of clarity; women aren't "a minority", though with the amount of backlash once the gender that makes up 50% of the population gets 25% representation as lead characters in Star Wars, you'd assume they are

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    Yep What Girl insinuated this earlier on. She spotted it a mile off. We may have disagreements on here and with a lot of certain parts of fandom. This thread though, what can I say? Freakish, nasty and horrible. :(

3. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Not what I'm saying. I'm talking about balance. It doesn't make her weak to need help it makes her human. I'm not making this an either or situation. You're the one basically saying she's weak if she needs someone to save her even if only one time. All I'm saying is that I want to see it so Finn and everyone else for that matter don't look so inferior and unimportant next to her.

Zejo the Jedi likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Without Finn she would have never gotten off SKB so I am not sure what your complaint is.

Jedi Jessy, Birkendoc and Dark Horse like this.
  5. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    I wasn't gonna say I prefer a damsel in distress vs a Mary Sue..what I just want is a healthy balance of all. But threads like these bring out all the ugliness in some people. That's why I just stand back and watch instead of comment.

I do have a bone to pick that the last 2 Star WARS movies under KK are starring 2 brunette actresses who look very similar. I would even go as far and say I like Jyn's story(so far) cause she's relatable than the all powerful but vulnerable Rey(good story still not buying self taught Force mind trick scene).

But then again Star WARS is vast..opportunities for some many things, races, and genders. They are just getting started with their new universe.

Troopa212 and Zejo the Jedi like this.
  6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    *Sees ending of TFA with comatose Finn being carried to the Falcon by Chewie. Then sees this post. Cries a little on inside for Finn*

*Talks to himself in a corner, in the fetal position*

"It will get better. It will get better. It will get better......"

JediAce1 likes this.
  7. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
  8. Dark Horse

May 15, 2016
    But if it was a female being carried off it would of been the perfect ending for the film, the hero would have saved the day and off to become a jedi :rolleyes:

Valairy Scot likes this.
  9. Shadojoker

Dec 15, 2000
    I dont mind the women as central leads,or people of color as central leads..it's about time for Hollywood to make up for all the years of shoving all life on Earth is all white except for the help and comic relief.

Just saying balance it out naturally. Back to back movies kinda scared me. (E7 and Rogue One)...but in all fairness it's how the story fell. And I'm ok with it. Solo movie is looking to be like Fast And Furious 5 in space with their cast,and im sure Boba Fett,the next movies (Obi-Wan) deliver as well.

Dark Horse likes this.
  10. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    First sentence is exactly what I was saying. Finally someone gets where I'm coming from.

Shadojoker likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not sure what you mean by "back to back movies." Literally movies every year, or back to back with female leads?

Also, what does "balance" look like, for those of you who are calling for it? Be specific about how a female character and a male character (minority or not) would be portrayed for "balance," taking into account Force sensitivity and lack thereof.

12. Dark Horse

May 15, 2016
    Yeah it worries me too. Disney really like to bleed franchises dry.

13. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    CEB
    Probably Luke.
    In the OT, there are many times where Luke had to be saved by Obi Wan or Han.

The more Luke trained and got better, then he started to save Han. And by the end of RoTJ, Luke was more powerful than Obi Wan. The audience saw Luke's growth.

Mentors and older figures (like Han and Obi Wan), are often used as the stepping stone measuring sticks of the hero or heroine of the story.

14. Shadojoker

Dec 15, 2000
    Rogue One preceded by TFA with lead actresses who look just alike. (To answer your Back to back question)

Balance..meaning aside for Han Solo .I hope the next 3 SW movies won't be starring women who look like younger Kathleen Kennedy clones..give me a Twi'liek female if you go that route.

I'm all for diversity(people of color) AND female leads..just not overboard.

Like Rickleo123
    If the Twilight,Harry Potter, and or Hunger games movies did a 2 spinoffs or reboot starring Anthony Mackie, Donald Faison and Halle Berry..I'd be kinda suspect...

But how 24:Legacy is doing without Kiefer Sutherland..I'm all for that.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So if most of the future Star Wars films have female leads but some are Twi'lek, some are women of color, etc., you'll be fine with it?

Shadojoker likes this.
  16. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    After VIII, the next SW movie is about young Han Solo. The white male anti-SJW crowd gets their turn in the spotlight too. For the rest of us not obsessed with these things, it's just Anthology #2. Win/win.

Jedi Jessy and Artoo-Dion like this.
  17. Shadojoker

Dec 15, 2000
    I'd be cool with it if they didn't look the same. If not you got the same thing as before.

No longer Blonde hair blue eyed hero but now it's brown eyed brunette!? Wth? Naw son..

18. Dark Horse

May 15, 2016
    I seemed to have liked a post but I missed half of the conversation, I feel guilty I liked it. Sorry!

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm actually hoping they don't, that there is a strong woman character or several, that there is at least one strong woman character who is NOT Han's love interest, and that Han acts even less like a dudebro than he did in ANH and ESB.

Jedi Jessy, AhsokaSolo and nightangel like this.
  20. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    I think she should have said nothing at all. I do not mind female leads or characters, why not? But now she makes this statement and it will only annoy people more. TFA and rogue one female leads why not. We have a han solo film coming anyways ? And i'm sure the spin off after that will be a male lead movie.

21. Shadojoker

Dec 15, 2000
    You can always take back the like.. no judgement here

22. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah and that's why Han was never my favorite character. I'm just not into these macho types. ;)

Dark Horse likes this.
  23. Shadojoker

Dec 15, 2000
    All I care is that they keep cranking out SW movies every year! Everything else we'll deal with the details here as they come.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    nightangel I love Han because I like the sarcastic no-bull**** attitude. But I understand the arguments against the scenes with Leia in ESB.

Jedi Jessy, Birkendoc and nightangel like this.
  25. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    for me it is just a personal preference. ;)