Lit Diversity Special: Goran and Medrit

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 12, 2013.

?

IF YOU HAVE READ LOTF: At what point did you realize that Goran and Medrit were a gay couple?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2013.
During Sacrifice - Medrit's first appearance 8 vote(s) 20.5%
During Revelation - Medrit's second appearance 8 vote(s) 20.5%
Heard about it elsewhere after having finished both books 14 vote(s) 35.9%
Wait, Goran and Medrit are gay? 3 vote(s) 7.7%
Heard about it elsewere after finishing the first book but before reading the second 6 vote(s) 15.4%
  1. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I hope you folks will humor me with this for a week or two; I just want to get a sense of something and then this can be closed as far as I'm concerned. One of our big recurring topics has been Goran and Medrit's portrayal in LotF, and the extent to which it was obtrusive/subtle/totally unnoticed, and I think it would be instructive to know exactly how readers (here, at least) interpreted it at the time.

Because I'm sure there are a number of people here who are intimately familiar with the series but didn't actually bother to read it, I'll repeat that I'm only looking for responses from people who have actually read the books, because hearing about it secondhand defeats the purpose. In keeping with that, please be honest--I'm especially trying to figure out how many people didn't notice at all, so if that was the case with you, don't be ashamed to admit it.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Feb 12, 2013
  2. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    Mine's an option that's not actually listed --- someone pointed it out here on the forums after Sacrifice but before Revelation.
  3. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Ah, crap - you can select the third option for that.
  4. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    None of the above: heard about it before reading the books.
  5. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Didn't realize til I saw it posted here in Lit. I can't remember if it was after I read the first or second book though..
  6. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Do you want me to add that variant option to your poll as a possibility?
  7. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Yes please.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Feb 12, 2013
  8. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    I didn't realise until after finishing Revelation and someone said it on the boards. That being said, I did skip the Mando chunk of the book because it was so uninteresting for me.
    Gorefiend likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Done. It's a new option at the end (if I reordered the options, it'd alter the results).
  10. The_Forgotten_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Realized it during my slower readthrough of Sacrifice. I thought Medrit being a man was a typo at first. I figured that there was no way the SW powers-that-be would have allowed that!
  11. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    You, sir, are the Medrit to my Goran. @};-
  12. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, I didn't realize it until after I'd read both. I don't think I even remember Medrit getting a mention during A Practical Man. Probably one of those details I just forgot about. It was here that I realized that both were men and together. I forget which detail it was I hadn't realized when I first read them, though.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10

Having never read any LotF books beyond the first one, I wouldn't possibly know what you meant by that.
  14. DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I heard about it after reading both, iirc on KT's blog or one of her comments. Mostly I think that's because I had a hard time distinguishing the side Mandalorian characters from each other.
  15. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I haven't voted yet because I can't remember -- which book were they sitting in the kitchen in? Were they both in Sacrifice together? (these books sort of meld into one in my mind...)
  16. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Pretty sure that happened in both. :p

I think the best way to distinguish the two is whether Jaina and/or Sintas are there.
  17. krtmd Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, I didn't notice until I read it here, but like @JackG, I'll admit I skipped some Mando stuff.

If I had known ahead of time, I might have paid more attention. :p
  18. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    I vaguely noticed something, but it really didn't stand out, and none of the Mandolorian characters were all that memorable. On one hand, the fact that it was subtly done is a good execution of gay rights, as I prefer equality where it just is rather than having it plastered in my face. On the other, the fact that those two characters really have nothing to distinguish them by besides the fact that they are a couple is a failure to make interesting or distinctive secondary/tertiary characters.
  19. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    I inspired a thread. Unfortunately, that's about all I can contribute to it :(

I suppose this answers my original question, though, that it was fairly subtle and could have conceivably gotten by the editors (lots of other things do =P~)
    Last edited by instantdeath, Feb 12, 2013
  20. Danzo Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I read Sacrifice and didn't notice it at all. Before Revelation came out I was doing a random google search to see if any gay characters had appeared in Star Wars literature and one of the results mentioned gay Mandos. Clicked the link and started kicking myself when I read the name Goran for not having spotted it.
  21. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    I read Revelation and Goran mentioned he was with Medrit, I am pretty sure, and then I frowned because I was sure Medrit was a man. Checked, and smiled, moved on with my reading, saw the word 'rape' in a Star Wars book and just sighed.

So up until that point I was pleased that Karen had introduced a gay character, apart from that Moff from the Han Solo Trilogy. Sarn Shild? Into male nonhumans, I recall.
  22. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    I think that i picked up on it between Sacrifice and Revelation- IIRC Traviss's FAQ referenced it. The dialogue in Revelations further elucidated the matter.
  23. Mia Mesharad Force Ghost

star 4
    I realized it during Sacrifice, upon finding that the person alluded to as a [at the time, likely female] spouse in Boba Fett: A Practical Man, turned out to be a large, burly male character.

That's a somewhat disingenuous statement. Goran and Medrit are so often lauded due to their relationship because they're the first canonically established gay couple in all of Star Wars, and among only three canonically established gay characters whatsoever in the franchise.

That said, for those fans who did not simply gloss over or skip the segments of the novels featuring the two characters, they're easily distinguishable and interesting as characters in their own right, without any emphasis on their sexual orientation.
    Contessa and The_Forgotten_Jedi like this.
  24. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    It’s left vague, the implication being he is homosexual and/or favors Aliens (be it male, female or something else).
  25. The_Forgotten_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Agreed. Goran is one of the more interesting characters to come from Legacy of the Force IMO.
    Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.