main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Divided Heart (By Rhea Jediknight and SJ) L/M angst, romace, action (Karrde, Leia, Han, originals)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SJade, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJade

SJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 15, 2000
    Good morning everyone :)

This new story is a joint venture with the fabulous L/M writer Rhea Jediknight (jediknight@mail2master.com). Both of us have written and corrected every character of this new story, but some scenes are exclusively Rhea's, and others are mine. Mostly though, what you'll read here is an hopefully fine-tuned blend of both of our styles and characterizations.

Summary: While a diplomatic charming operation is taking place on Coruscant, Mara discovers that her former boss has feelings for her, but before she can truly develop her relationship with him, an old friend from her imperial life resurfaces while she witnesses what could be the beginning of a relationship between Luke and the princess of Cariba. While she tries to figure her heart out though, danger looms in the shadows as an Imperial Commander plans to destroy the usurpators, once and for all.

Intrigued? Hope so :) And now, Rhea and I hope that you'll have fun following this new spin in a galaxy far, far away :)

Divided Heart
    Part 1: Rendezvous
    By SJ and Rhea Jediknight (skyjade@globetrotter.net and
    jediknight@mail2master.com)
    05-04-03/26-04

Disclaimers: Nothing in the Star Wars Universe belong to us; everything belongs
    to George Lucas. We're only writing stories for fun. See my homepage for more
    details.
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Quasar/3702

Special thanks to Rhea for bringing up the plot bunny of that story and
    accepting to work on it with me :) Working with you is a pleasure, my
    friend!

Rhea: Thanks to SJ for working on this with me. It's been fun!

"Luke," his sister warned him when he tried yet again to weasel his way out of
    her latest 'duty', "you must attend this week's reception. The Cariban court
    will take offense of your absence since---"

"I am the only Jedi Master, I know, I know," he grumbled, throwing her an
    exasperated glance from under his eyelashes before he shook his head in
    displeasure. "I don't see why my presence would be necessary though. The Jedi
    Order is independent from the Republic, and I certainly do not intend to 'court'
    them in order to acquire favors from their new territory."

"Luke," Leia said again, this time seriously, "they have specifically requested
    your presence. The king's daughter will be present and they wish to introduce
    her to you."

Great, Luke rolled his eyes in definite annoyance. Another match-making attempt.
    "Leia," he sighed patiently, "I really have much more important things to do
    this week than to go to Coruscant to meet yet another younger, rich dignitary.
    The new students have just begun to..." His voice faded away when he noticed how
    his sister's eyes turned grim. She was dead serious about his being present at
    the reception.

"It is part of their customs, Luke. If we want to earn their trust further, we
    must show some open-mindedness toward those."

In short, Luke summarized to himself, if he did not go, 'he' would be
    responsible of a rift between the new member of the Republic and his sister's
    government. "You've already promised them that I would be there, haven't you?"
    he queried disapprovingly.

"I'm sorry, I had no choice," she apologized. "I know how much you hate these
    arrangements."

He raised an eyebrow, perplex. "Do you?" he inquired, memories of other 'blind'
    dates coming back to him.

"Yes, I do now," she reassured him. "That's why I've warned the king that I
    would ascertain your presence, but nothing else. The rest will be between you
    and his daughter."

"And what did he say?" he asked, aware that another custom on Cariba was to
    arrange marriage like they did in the Hapes Cluster.

His sister smiled reassuringly at him. "He's accepted that part of our custom."

For a long moment, Luke considered his sister's request. He had more than his
    fill of her attempts to match him with beautiful, sophisticated young ladies of
    her class of citizens. The women had always been wonderful, of course,

2. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    And some more :)

Disclaimers and thanks, see first post of part 1

Mara Jade watched Talon Karrde, who was sitting across the three tiered
    Holochess board, as he pondered his next strategy. His features were as rigid as
    ever as his most powerful piece, the Monnok, gave a final cry when Mara's Houjix
    outmaneuvered and defeated the computer generated beast. The young woman sat
    back in her seat, a triumphant grin spreading across her face.

As he took in her rare, genuine smile, Karrde found it hard to be resentful of
    her obvious victory. Forgetting the game for a moment, the smuggler studied his
    good friend and colleague with new eyes.

Mara had left his group just a few months ago, yet she was already at the head
    of a small but thriving business. They had just finished a tedious but lucrative
    business dinner with a representative of the Everante Cluster. Aware that he was
    very familiar with the intricacies of Everante law, Mara had asked for his
    presence at the negotiations. After coming to an agreement with the Cluster's
    representative, the two humans had decided that a celebration had been in order.

After sharing a glass of Alderaanian wine on the restaurant's grounds, they had
    adjourned to her apartment. There, their holochess matches had developed into a
    good natured rivalry; neither of them had wanted to abandon now that they were
    no longer working together.

At the moment though, Karrde was filled with more than comradeship for his ex-
    associate. She was garbed in a form fitting black and silver gown and her red-
    gold hair hung in a shimmering mass of curls down her back. She was simply
    stunning.

She dazzled him again with a new smile. "Face it Karrde, there's no way that you
    can get out of this one."

Talon found his gaze trapped in her dancing emerald eyes and wondered if her
    Jedi senses could detect his rapid pulse. He leaned back in his chair, suddenly
    finding the woman seated across from him infinitely more interesting than the
    game. "You're right. I know when it's time to surrender with dignity."

Mara seemed momentarily disappointed; Karrde almost laughed out loud as he
    realized that she had wished to make her victory complete.

"Of course," he added gallantly, "I wouldn't want to deny you the pleasure of
    watching my utter defeat."

Mara laughed and waved her hand in the air. "It's all right, I'm content to know
    that I won."

Karrde watched her with avid interest now, observing details that most people
    would not have noticed.

Over the last few months, Mara had grown more relaxed. She smiled more readily
    and the cold reserve that Karrde had grown to associate with the beautiful woman
    had lessened. He had known how much her independence meant to her, but he had
    never thought how well it would suit her.

For as long as he knew her, he had always considered her to be one of his best
    friends, someone he could rely upon as well as a shrewd business partner.
    However, he had never realized just how much he would miss having her in his
    life. Over the years, she had become a constant companion, but now, her absence
    in it had left a hole.

He had always cared for her, but he was just beginning to realize just how deep
    his feelings for this woman went.

Mara flicked a switch at the base of the board; the holographic pieces
    disappeared with a low hum.

Before she could stand up, Karrde spoke. "Mara, Can I ask you something?"

"Since when did you ever need my permission to ask me a question?" she replied
    flippantly. When she saw the intent look on his face she grew still, "What is
    it, Talon? What's wrong?"

Karrde smiled slightly, enjoying the way she said his first name. "I've been
    asked to attend a conference with the delegates of the Cariban court tomorrow
    night."

"Organa-Solo has already invited me to attend too," Mara nodded.

"I was wondering if you would come with me?" Karrde asked.

TBC soon :)

Love
    Rhea and SJ

3. Sash

Sash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2003
    Am i the first to reply???? :eek: Oh i sure hope so.. :)

4. Sash

Jan 11, 2003
    I am the first to reply.. Oh My [face_blush] does a little up dance in celebration of the new fic and ofcourse the postie ;)

5. Sash

Jan 11, 2003
    did i mention how i DO NOT like the way Talon Karrde is showing interest in Mara.... doesnt he know.... Only Luke is supposed to do that??? ;) Ok Luke looks like u have a lot of competition onyour hands.... ;) nothing that our farm boy couldnt handle ofcourse.... Ahhhh the joys of another fic... *contented sigh* :)

6. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    So, Karrde & Mara, and then Luke & this princess. This might just be more than a bit interesting. By the way, that "fish in a Tatooine desert" line was great. Classic Luke.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

7. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    Good morning, Sash and Tych :) Glad that you've enjoyed the beginning of this joint venture :)

Yup, Sash, you're right, men don't know yet that Mara belongs to Luke ;P But that will come, don't worry :) By the way, thanks for being the first to comment on this story :) I was wondering if it had gotten lost in the volume of stories on the board ;P

Tych: I think I had watched too many fish stuff when I wrote the fish on Tatooine thing ;) Glad you enjoyed it :)

And on with more of Rhea's part :)

Mara noticed that although Karrde's features were as composed as ever, he
    strangely appeared slightly flushed. She could see that the pulse in his neck
    was going just a bit faster than normal and she could sense his growing
    nervousness. What could?..., she wondered--- then her eyes widened as she
    realized that her former employer was asking her out, not as a colleague but as
    a woman. "Let me get this right," she began slowly, "you are asking me out on a
    date, right?"

Karrde's mouth twisted slightly and he said: "Did I just overstep my bounds?
    Maybe this isn't a good idea."

Mara thought about it for a moment. Talon Karrde was an attractive man. He had
    his share of females fighting for his attention at numerous social gatherings,
    and she was a woman who had worked closely with him for years. She had never
    thought of him as a man before, mostly because it was against her code of ethics
    to get involved with her boss, but Karrde no longer was her boss, and he was
    still one of her best friends. She respected him deeply and cared for him. Given
    time, could her feelings develop into something more?

Karrde continued, "I tried to hide it, feeling that it was not appropriate to
    get involved with a co-worker, but things have changed. You're a beautiful,
    intelligent woman," he told her in an earnest way that dimly reminded her of a
    farmboy of her acquaintances. "I would be honored if you would allow me to
    court you, but I want you to know that I value our friendship very highly. I
    don't want to do anything that would jeopardize that."

Mara gazed into his pale blue eyes, regarding him closely. For a moment, Mara
    wished that his eyes were just a shade deeper, more intense, and that his hair
    was dark blond. She blinked at that, trying to banish these thoughts. Where did
    that come from? But she knew- Skywalker. Again. Because she knew that she would
    soon see him again.

She had heard from Organa-Solo that Luke would be at the conference, with
    Tarrintha Goule, the King's daughter. Although, she suspected that this
    occurrence was arranged by Princess Leia.

Anyway, she pulled herself out of her musings, it would be better to attend the
    gathering with someone on her arm, then alone. It would also be much better if
    she could be with someone she could trust, someone she liked..., someone like
    Talon Karrde.

She slowly nodded at her companion. Talon's face broke out into a broad grin. "I
    would be happy to go with you... Talon."

She stood up; Karrde got to his feet as well. She could sense his joy at her
    words, and a part of her was similarly buoyed. Another part, though, kept her
    grounded.

"I had better go. You've had a long and profitable day. I'll pick you up at
    about five?" he offered.

"That will be fine," Mara agreed.

He leaned toward her face, and Mara wondered if he were going to kiss her, then
    wondered if she were ready for this or not.

As if sensing her nervousness, her companion seemed to reconsider and took her
    hand instead. He kissed the back of it.

Although she wasn't sure how she felt about Karrde's sudden coming out, his
    action filled her with a surprisingly warm and comfortable sensation. He raised
    his head, smiled, and released her hand.

"Until tomorrow, then," he said, his voice taking on a very sensual range.

Feeling that she should say something, but at a complete loss for words, Mara
    saw him to the door. She locked it behind him

8. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    ohhhhh a new SJ fic :D ;)

Mara with Talon. . . I can see it but it's not my fav. . especially with Luke in the near vicinity :D

looking forward to more of this

Congrats on the new fic Rhea and SJ :D

9. Sash

Jan 11, 2003
    talon had better back off... *takes a stick and starts to beat him away from mara "back! Back I say!!!!!" *lol.. Luke had better maek his appearence soon.. I dont know how much more this poor stick cantake..... lol. :)

10. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    Good morning :)

Thanks for the replies, Maramijade and Sash :) (chuckling) Well, you know, I know what you mean about Mara being for Luke alone, but... believe me, putting another man in the mix does allow some very interesting imbroglio ;) So imagine adding two of them ;P

Hope you'll have fun again :)

And in both Rhea's and my name, thanks for the great feedback; entertaining you means a lot to us :)

Deep in the catacombs of Venia, which was located in the outer sector of the Cariban
    space, disgruntled imperials held a secret meeting. As he gazed at the newly-
    acquired weapon, the Grand Commander felt his excitement and lust for revenge
    bubble within him.

At last, he thought darkly, they had captured it. Their allies had been through
    to their words and had helped his troops to infiltrate the Cariban weapon
    facilities and steal a working model of their seismic accelerator.

"Of course," Commander Pakc of Intelligence warned, "this model will need to be
    modified if we want it to destroy a forth of the main Rebel base."

'AKA Coruscant,' the Commander supplied for himself.

"However, the techs assure me that they will be able to complete the
    modifications to your specifications."

The four other men smirked with malice.

"Perfect," the Commander acquiesced. "Have the techs work on it non-stop if they
    have to. I'm going to Coruscant with my team and make sure that the other part
    of our plan succeeds without a hitch. When can we expect this cargo to join us
    there?" he inquired, turning toward the Intel expert.

"In three days from now, Sir, separated in five parts," the other bowed.

"Very good." A mere forty-eight hours later, the Commander would watch the
    beginning of the end of Coruscant as the crust of the strained planet would
    disintegrate. "Make sure to center the attack on the Republic headquarters."

"With pleasure, Sir," the others bowed to him, then left him, returning to their
    duties.

Soon, he promised himself as he watched the departing group, soon he would no
    longer be a power in the shadows; he would step into the light once again. He
    would finally be acknowledged by everyone. For now though, he had a part to
    play.

"What is the last information about the Jedi Master?" he asked his
    intelligence expert.

"He is on his way to Coruscant for the Cariban conference, ETA 1000," the other
    informed him.

"Most excellent," he smiled to himself.

They would truly hit them all in one, swift stroke that would make the Death
    Star pale in comparison, and he himself would finally complete his last command.

As Luke had promised Leia, he arrived on Coruscant barely a few hours before the
    beginning of the reception.

Leia had hoped fervently that he would make a detour by her place to touch base
    with her, but other than a quick touch through the Force, he had avoided her,
    finding refuge in his apartments.

Or so it felt to Leia anyway.

In a way, she knew that she could not ask him to do anything but what he had
    already agreed, but at the same time, she had wanted to talk with him before she
    would introduce him to the Cariban dignitaries. She had to at least coach him
    into the proper behavior with this new culture, and she had to---

"I wonder if Luke's arm is still sore from all that twisting," her husband
    commented from her side as they rode the turbolift up to the hangar floor.

"Huh?" she feigned confusion, "I don't know what you mean."

TBC soon :)

Love
    Rhea and SJ

11. Sash

Jan 11, 2003
    Woah.... someones after our resident jedi master??? :eek: Well they cant do that..... *starts sending messages to the all the force users... may not have the force on my side but suddenly I am a great believer of esp :p *
    Hans perception is uncanny.. gosh he doesnt need the force when he has his smugglers gut.. and ofcourse the fact that he knows Leia oh too well :)

12. C3SoloP0

C3SoloP0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2002
    This is very good indeed...

I have to admit, this is the first Mara/Luke fic I'm reading....

And therefore....I want that Talon guy away from Mara so that she realizes she loves Farmboy... :)

One question though.....you said Luke considered Mara his friend....cool....was she still trying to kill him in your fic or you have taken that fact out? Just a question....Thanks!!

~~C3Solo

13. Ariapaige

Ariapaige Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2002
    Hey, SJ and Rhea. I stumbled onto this over on the Fanfiction boards. You've got a really cool beginning lined up here. Can't wait for the next.

;) Paige

14. SJade

Sep 15, 2000

By the way, Rhea sends her thanks, she didn't have time to sign up, but she checked the board for your great comments :)

Sash: I think Rhea and I got your Force-message ;P Don't worry, trust us ;) As for Han, spending ten years with someone does allow you to know him/her better ;P Glad you enjoyed the latest part too :)

C3SoloPO: Nice to meet you :) ANd it's an honor to be part of the writing team for your first L/M fic ever :) Hope we'll encourage you to read more of them :) To answer your question about their beginning, we definitely consider that Mara wanted to kill him when they first met ;P This story takes place between 5 to 10 years 'after' Heir to the Empire series :) Thanks again for the feedback; entertaining you means a lot to us :)

Paige: Hello too :) Glad that you've enjoyed the catch up so far, and we both hope that we'll keep your fun going :)

Thanks again, the three of you, for the great feedback and interest; it means a lot to both Rhea and I :)

Ready for more?

Han turned toward her, giving her a 'come-on' gaze that she had come to
    understand as a warning that he could see right through her. Sometimes she was
    sure that he could use the Force too for he had an uncanny ease for reading her
    just as well as she could him.

"All right," she sighed, then nervously brought her hand to her mass of braided
    hair. The tightly woven strands were tied in an intricate, solid knot that was
    firmly affixed on the crown of her head. "I pulled diplomatic strings on him, I
    admit it."

"The Caribans never requested his presence, did they?"

"But princess Tarrintha looked so eager to meet him, and the King was more than
    ready to approve a marriage ---"

"But they did not 'twist' your arm into inviting him. You did."

Beaten, she sighed wearily. "I could not refuse them this privilege, Han," she
    said simply. "You should have seen their smiles when I told them that I would
    make sure that he would attend. They love him, Han. Everybody loves him, you
    know?"

"Sure, I've been the first one to fall for his farmboy naivete," he smirked more
    lightly before he turned serious once again, "but even then, Leia, I also saw
    how moody he could be. He has a temper." he warned her more seriously. "You'll
    have to stop pulling him around by his Jedi cloak or he might just give you the
    slip one of these days."

"Luke?, she gaped at him. "He wouldn't," she shook her head in denial. "I know
    my brother."

"You 'knew' him," Han pointed out knowingly. "He's changed a lot throughout the
    past years. He sure isn't the farmboy I rescued from Tatooine anyway."

"I know," she sighed in agreement, then checked the glowing numbers that
    indicated the floor that they had now reached. "Sometimes though, I wonder if
    those changes have been for the best."

Han didn't answer her last remark. The lift finally stopped and the doors slid
    open once again. Sandwiched between Leia's professional bodyguards, the couple,
    garbed in refined clothing, walked toward the main door of the hangar bay of
    their airspeeder.

As Jade and Karrde approached the casino that had been reserved for the Cariban
    reception, she dimly wondered if the location had been the idea from the
    president herself or from her ex-smuggler of an husband.

"Quite an unusual setting for a diplomatic reception, isn't it?" Karrde
    commented beside her.

"This must hold some significance for the Cariban dignitaries. I've heard that
    this treaty is very important for the New Republic," she shrugged, then pushed
    her wind-blown strands of hair out of her eyes.

"But for which reason," his companion commented seriously, "their acceptance of
    the New Republic? or their weapons technology?"

"Touche," she agreed, then looked up at the imposing building of the Manarai
    Casino before she refocused on her escort.

Karrde was dressed in a form-fitting, rangy, thigh long jacket that was
    completed by tr

15. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    LOL that was so Han this is great!!!

Looking forward to more :D

16. Sash

Jan 11, 2003
    Whew!!! If Mara feels the danger so would Luke and hopefully we could avoid whatever it is that they are planning. Lol the force worked eh? Hmmm maybe i should try the jedi mind tricks inot convincing you to post more !!!! ;) not too much of the dark side is that? :eek:

17. C3SoloP0

Dec 10, 2002
    Thank you SJade

I am certainly loving this!!
    Although after reading that I want to read more!! hehehe...

Mara should tell Luke at once!!!
    Where on earth is Luke? Late probably..

And Leia should stop trying to match him up and parade him around...he's grown up!! Let him make his own decisions!!!

18. SJade

Sep 15, 2000

Maramijade: Glad you had fun with Han; I tried to make him as Hanish as I could, so I'm really happy that you enjoyed it this much :)

Sash: The Force worked before yes, but DRL is blocking the more posts sending ;P However, Rhea and I are battling it back to back at the moment ;P
    Glad that you had fun once again :)

C3SoloPo: Yes, I know what you mean about wanting more... I guess it happens so that we can train our patience, huh ;P Rhea and I are hard at work at the moment to keep that waiting as short as possible though :)
    As for Luke, coming, coming ;P Thanks for the feedback; we're both glad that you're enjoying your first experience so much :)

Thanks again for the great feedback, all of you, Rhea and I are glad that you are having so much fun with this story :)

Ready for more ;P

The orchestra was playing music too loud and fast for a typical formal reception
    while the empty space above the main gambling floor was filled with smoke and
    laser-lit images and messages. As if affected by the unusual setting, the
    attendees were as raucous as if they had been in a cantina on a tenth-rate
    planet. Or perhaps they were even worse, Mara decided. After all, clients of
    such a cantina would keep a low profile in order to avoid attracting unwanted
    attention. She refocused on the welcome committee.

"Welcome Mara, Talon," Leia greeted them less formally than she had just greeted
    her Cariban guests. "We're very glad that you could join us, and I personally
    wish you a very profitable evening."

"Yeah, but avoid the Corellian Chance wheel. The odds are too high in favor of
    the house," Han commented as he clasped her hand, then conspiratorially leaned
    closer "and Lando has already cleaned it out for the evening."

"Ah, so Calrissian is the one to challenge to a game of Sabaac then," Mara
    commented in amusement as she shook hand with Skywalker's best friend.

Han's mouth quirked in a half smile, "Exactly."

She felt a momentary twinge of disappointment when she failed to see Luke
    anywhere close by. She quickly scanned the casino, sensing his proximity but she
    was unable to 'see' him. They moved away from the Solos.

"Looking for Skywalker?" Karrde inquired dryly as he guided her toward a
    gambling table.

Mara shot him a look and said: "Why, that almost sounded jealous."

"Should I be?" he asked, his lips pressing tightly together.

"He's my friend," she reminded him, soothingly laying a hand on his arm.

The tension eased from his mouth and he smiled more easily. "Sorry."

Both warmed and disturbed by this little display she went on: "I'm here with you
    tonight, Talon. Remember?"

Her companion nodded quickly as he bent down--- and gave her a quick kiss.
    Mara's eyes widened in surprise. He chuckled lightly at her. "I think that's the
    first time I've ever managed to catch you off guard."

A familiar, almost memorized, gentle voice interrupted them, "I'd be careful
    Karrde. Her bite's worse than her bark."

Mara turned around at that, startled that she hadn't felt his approach, "Luke."
    She felt a slight flush spread across her face, but it immediately drained away
    when she set eyes on the tall, blonde woman who was clinging to the Jedi's arm.

"This is Tarrintha Goule, princess of Cariba." Luke said, casually disentangling
    his arm from the other's grip. "Tarrintha, this is Talon Karrde and Mara Jade,
    some of my very good friends."

The woman smiled slyly and said, "I'm sorry if we're interrupting."

Mara, though, didn't hear her. Instead, her senses were monopolized by the
    Jedi's sight. Instead of his usual Jedi garb, Luke was wearing fashionable, very
    elegant clothes. He looked, she dimly thought, as if he were a handsome prince
    instead of a staid Jedi. His dark blue trousers were matching his short jacket
    that was enhancing his well-built stature, but what was truly completing the
    effect was the satin blue, straight-collared shirt that h

19. Sash

Jan 11, 2003
    *drool drool* lol.. Wow ! Luke not in his usual jedi blacks???? Now this is something worth seeing . [face_laugh] But umm as glad as i am that hes not wearing his usual jedi attire perhaos he shouldnt have forgone his sabre... not with everything thats bound to happen

20. C3SoloP0

Dec 10, 2002
    I want Luke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He probably looks sssssssoooooooooooooo good in that outfit!!!!!

More soon!!!!

21. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Well, we certainly are seeing some changes in the characters here. Do I sense some of SJ's usual twisting going one here? Great description of Luke there. Now when is he going to figure out that this princess is all wrong for him? ;)

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

22. Ariapaige

Ariapaige Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2002
    Mara should never have come with Talon... No lightsaber?! This could get interesting.

;) Paige

23. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    Good morning everyone :) Luke certainly looks ravishing enough to love, yes :) For those who are curious to see him, I'll probably include him on a drawing for that story, someday ;) As for his lightsaber, you'll see that at the moment, being without it is not dangerous because he'll face another type of challenge during the evening :p Some of my twists, Tych? What do you mean? ;P

Thanks again for the great feedback everyone :) Rhea and I are both glad that we are entertaining you with this story :)

Ready for more?

Then Talon casually put his arm around her waist and the moment was gone. The
    red head fought the impulse to push Karrde away, then she saw how Tarrintha
    pushed up against Luke once again and remembered in the nick of time that she
    had come out with Karrde, not Luke.

"It's an honor to meet you, princess," Karrde greeted formally.

"I'm pleased that our system has finally come to an arrangement with the New
    Republic."

Mara instantly saw red when she noticed how the other eyed her friend as if he
    were the next item on a list of purchases.

"It's always good to be neighborly."

The ex-assassin decided that she did not like this woman. In front of her, Luke
    was obviously embarrassed, and less than comfortable to add anything either
    positive or negative, to the conversation.

"Shall we?" Talon asked her, gesturing toward the dance floor.

Mara, who was once again caught in Skywalker's blue gaze, almost reluctantly
    refocused on her plainer companion and forced herself to smile up at him.

The smuggler pulled her toward him, obviously enjoying how she felt in his arms.
    She, though, was not sure that she enjoyed it 'that' much.

Behind them, Luke and Tarrintha followed them toward the dance floor.

Long minutes later, Mara abandoned herself to the music once again, moving with
    sinuous grace in time to the melodic tempo. Talon was an admirable dancer, she
    reminded herself in a conscious attempt to focus on him instead of her other
    friend. She reflexively smiled when he took her by the hips, swaying with her,
    accompanying her moves.

No matter how hard she tried though, her gaze kept drifting toward the couple
    that was at the far side of the room.

Luke was holding the blond woman, dancing with her with remarkable skill. Her
    eyes narrowed when she saw the possessive way that Tarrintha held onto his
    shoulders. She raised her barriers before her feelings could reach---

Luke's gaze rose to met hers; shocked by the intensity of his gaze, she stumbled
    for a moment. He smiled, as if in understanding, and she felt a little flutter
    in her gut as she returned the smile. She turned away, feeling unaccountably
    flustered. She studiously avoided glancing again in the Jedi's direction; it
    proved to be quite a challenge for her.

It even worsened when Talon seemed to notice the small exchange and bent his
    head toward Mara's ear. "Luke seems to be enjoying himself," he said neutrally.

Talon's words made her heart twist.

As he gazed at his far away friend, Luke felt a stab of red hot jealously slice
    through his heart. With their heads pressed closely together, Mara and Talon
    were the picture of intimacy.

He tried once again to pull away from the clinging woman, counting the minutes
    until he could leave this reception. Not only was his social duty weighing on
    him, but his insides kept churning upside down as he watched Mara and Talon
    dance in his peripheral vision.

They looked good together, he admitted even though this thought caused a sharp
    lance of pain to go right through him. He pondered his reaction. Both Talon
    and Mara were good friends of his, he reminded himself. Hence, he should be
    glad that they appeared to have grown close.

He should, he conceded, but he didn't.

He watched them closely, supremely aware of his emotional pain when he saw Talon
    draw the red haired beauty against him.

24. C3SoloP0

Dec 10, 2002
    aaaaaawwwwwwwwww.....

Both Mara and Luke are feeling the same thing!!!!!!! Come on you two!!! Get together already!!!! :) :) :)

25. Sash

Jan 11, 2003
    Nothing like both of them thinking the same thing and yet assuming that the other is thinking something completely off the mark!!! [face_laugh] Karrde shouldnt enjoy the moment too much lest he gets used to it... x-( and that princess had better keep her hands to herself.... x-( cos hey he sounds so delicous I might steal him!!!!! [face_laugh] ofcourse Mara might resort to her old profession.. so i better not [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.