main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Divided we Fall : The Continuation

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi Gryph Grin, May 16, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    Well, since the original thread is still frozen in time. (Nothing showing up since May 11, 2000). I'm going to continue it here until finished, or until some miracle unfreezes the original.

You can read the majority of "Divided we Fall" at:
    Forum16/HTML/000031.html Forum16/HTML/000031.html

When we last left our small group, Countess Neila, in a show of compassion and spirit, had just declared that her personal estate was now at the disposal of the Medical Corps of Osiris. Her selfless act would help to ease the massive strain placed on Med Centers and Hostels by teeming thousands of refugees and returning exiles...

Here we go!

Obi Wan had been one of the first to volunteer his services in helping some of the less seriously injured refugees relocate to Countess Neila?s estate where they could recover from their wounds and exhaustion in a relatively comfortable atmosphere.

He was assigned to assist an elderly Med Tech by the name of Trista whose quick, decisive movement and acerbic wit belied her fragile seeming exterior. Obi Wan was astonished at Trista?s medical knowledge and had already learned much from her in the short time they had worked together. They only had a few more patients to check on during their rounds of the west wing of Neila?s estate, checking to make sure that the people who had been moved here had suffered no ill effects during their relocation. So far, everyone they had checked on seemed to be doing quite well, many of them were heartily relieved to be in these calm, restful accommodations after having to endure the over-crowded chaos of the Medical Center.

?I never thought I would live to see such interesting times,? Trista said brightly to Obi Wan as they walked side by side down the hallway to the room of the next patient on her list, ?I wouldn?t miss it for the world though. This sort of thing is exactly why I studied healing in the beginning, would have been nice if it had happened when I was a bit younger though.?

?You mean you actually enjoy this sort of thing?? Obi Wan replied in a puzzled voice, ?Not to sound disrespectful, but there is a lot of pain and suffering going on around us...?

?You misunderstand my meaning young Obi,? Trista interrupted him in mid sentence, ?it is not the pain of others that I crave...it is the fact that I am able to help those that are less fortunate than I. I have studied all my life to gain the knowledge I have, and for me to be able to use that knowledge to help ease a person?s pain is a reward that I cannot put into words. To wish that no one would ever be hurt or injured is not realistic, so I do the next best thing...which is to be prepared for when someone needs my help.?

The young Jedi resisted the urge to remind her, again that his name was not Obi, he doubted another reminder would find as little success as the last hundred times he had mentioned it. ?I understand now,? he replied instead, ?we have a similar code within the Jedi Order. We seek knowledge and strength so we can help those who are unable to help themselves.?

?That?s it my lad, that?s it exactly,? the willowy, gray haired female thumped him on the back enthusiastically in agreement, ?I couldn?t have said it better myself. To tell the truth Obi, I was a bit concerned when I heard I was going to be saddled with a helper as young as you are, but you?ve proven yourself to be an excellent assistant as well as a quick learner.?

?Thank you for the compliment,? Obi Wan said dryly, then his voice softened with sincerity, ?and thank you for allowing me to learn from you, I have gained much from this experience.?

?Humph,? Trista grunted and bent her gaze to the clipboard she carried, her face coloring slightly with embarrassment at his last statement, ?now then, the next patient on the list is a bit of a different case than the others we?ve seen. Some kind of mental aberration has only recently been broken, like someone has spent years living in a fantasy world and then violently thrust into reality. I haven?t met this patient before, s

2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jedi Gryph Grin:
    Kithera was the center of attention with everyone?s eyes upon her. She looked demurely at the floor for a brief moment, then raised her eyes to face the accusing looks of everyone in the room with a hint of nervousness in her gaze.

I can soooooo understand. I have a modern oral this afternoon and that is what I'm going to be doing...no not killing or rather trying to kill someone but looking up nervously and having to be the center of attention.

I'm glad that you started a new thread Gryph

More soon!

Kithera

3. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    Thanks for letting me know this was here, I was beginning to fear I had missed everything because of the missing posts.

Kithera deserves to feel nervous, after all what she did.

I'm certainly glad to see this streched out, I really don't want this thread to end.

Great job!!

4. Alli-Wan

Alli-Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 21, 1999
    So glad you thawed out the story if not the thread. Excellent post JGG! --AWK

5. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    EEEK! This is so way past my bedtime, but the forum was soooo slow earlier. Let me know what you think.

?I think it all started years ago,? Kithera began, ?back when I was much younger and my grandfather was still alive.? Her gaze became distant as if she were watching past events unfold before her. ?I loved my Grandfather dearly,? she said, her eyes still distant, ?he was the only one in my family who took the time to be around me. Mother and Father were always either working or trying to garner favor with some of the higher placed nobles. Everyone in my family...even my aunts and uncles were almost fanatical about their social standing, always wanting more rank and favor ? all except Grandfather. Oh...the stories he would tell and the games we would invent and play with other children that lived nearby.?

?His stories...? Kithera?s voice faltered for a moment, and her eyes focused into the present, ?when I was lonely or unhappy, which was a lot of the time, his stories would take me to fabulous places...created entire worlds and civilizations...and for a short time I could escape.?

The young woman paused for a moment and looked around at the room?s occupants. They all sat or stood quietly, waiting for her to continue.

?When I began to study with the healers,? she went on, again seeming to lose her sense of the present, ?Grandfather was very happy, he always told me that it was a gift to be able to help others.? She gave a wry, humorless laugh and shifted her stance slightly, ?but the rest of my family did not see it as such, to them it was a means to get closer to the noble houses, a way to improve on their own positions of power. I had to spend an enormous time studying and practicing, and that severely limited the time that Grandfather and I were able to spend together ? but due to the company that I was keeping, I was constantly inundated with requests and near-bribes by my own family, still seeking a quick rise to power through the time that I spent within the noble houses using my gift of healing.?

?As time went by,? she continued after another brief pause to focus herself, ?I became more and more miserable every day. Isolated from my Grandfather, surrounded by my conniving, power hungry family. I turned to the only release from misery that I knew?the stories, and imagined worlds that my Grandfather had given me. I took those stories and embellished them, recreated them until they were my own...until they were my world.?

?Then came the day that I received word of my Grandfather?s death at the hands of Lemur, I never found out ?why?, I just knew that Lemur had deprived me of the one person in the world that I loved the most.? Kithera?s eyes brimmed with unshed tears, but she continued with her tale in a strong clear voice, ?that was when reality ceased to exist for me, and I fully crossed over into the imaginary world I had so painstakingly created for myself.?

?I remember everything after that, you know?? she paused, not really expecting any answer, ?but not as I should. It?s like I was watching a play on stage or something; I knew what was going on, but removed somehow. I was never exiled as I told you I had been, by the way...I was so caught up in my private world that I consciously wove the illusion to myself that I was, and my sole purpose in life was to avenge my Grandfather.?

?When I looked down on the lifeless form of Lemur lying on the tarmac, my carefully crafted reality shattered into splinters. The whole reason for my existence lay before me...dead, and the revenge that I so craved to deliver myself was denied to me.?

Kithera paused again, and now the unshed tears brimmed in her eyes and fell down both cheeks, ?I never meant to hurt any of you. I didn?t lie when I said that Grandfather had told me stories of the Jedi, and through those stories I came to respect your order. But the urge to avenge my Grandfather was the focus to my reality, and now that reality is broken. My Grandfather is still dead and now so is Lemur; the ashes of the world I created for myself now

6. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    I suppose her reasoning is adequate, though I'm not so sure I'd trust Kithera so easily.

Great post Gryph Grin!!

7. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Yes, it will be hard for Kithera to make the transition from the fantasy to the real world again, but maybe she can do some good by keeping Vicetta Mermil alive long enough for him to do some good. I liked the way that Vicetta reacted to Rela, and her 'innocent' look! Good touch!

8. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Thanks for the comments H.L. and Jane Jinn, I appreciate all of the support and input I've recieved from everyone while writing this story, but you two (along with Kit' and Mouse2) have kept with me every step of the way. The post following this one will be dedicated to ya'll.

And now, on with the show!

The three Jedi walked through the halls of Neila?s estate accompanied by Rela and Hrruggla, on their way to join the Countess for an informal dinner.

{What do you suppose this is all about?} Hrruggla grunted softly into the companionable silence, {she?s never invited us for anything informal before.}

?It could be any number of things,? Obi Wan replied philosophically, ?there are still large numbers of people migrating into the City, maybe she needs some help with keeping the peace.?

?Maybe she?s just lonely,? Rela added, ?I wouldn?t think that there was much of a social life around here while Lemur was alive.?

?She probably wants us to help keep a watch over the Congress Members,? Kason said in his quiet voice, ?it probably wouldn?t look too good for someone in the new ruling body to get kidnapped or assassinated.?

?I think the Countess would probably want us to wait until she tells us herself rather than have us continue with unfounded speculation,? Qui Gon interjected into the conversation, his voice tinged with amusement at his companions' chatter.

Comfortable silence resumed within the group as they made their way to visit the Countess.

Idle conversation continued throughout the simple, yet delicious meal prepared and delivered by Neila?s personal assistants.

When the dishes were cleared from the table and the guests were sipping their after dinner refreshments, Neila directed the topic of conversation onto a new path.

?So now that Kithera?s assignment for the foreseeable future has been decided upon,? Neila said slowly as if choosing her words carefully, ?there will be no reason for you to testify against her in front of the Congress, which is all that was keeping you here for so long.?

?That is correct Countess,? Qui Gon replied, ?since we are no longer needed, our time here grows short.?

?But what if you were still needed here?? she countered, a speculative gleam in her azure eyes, ?I could make it worth much to all of you if you chose to stay on here. You could make a fortune selling your services as bodyguards and protectors. With all of the changes taking place around us, you would command fees from the highest bidders.?

?It is not a Jedi?s goal to seek monetary gain,? Qui Gon said in his solemn ?teaching? voice, ?besides which, we have been away from the temple for a long while, and we have matters to attend to there. We must report on the loss of Master Charsa, and Kason needs the resources available that will begin healing the wounds caused by his loss.?

Kason closed his eyes for a moment and the brief flicker of pain that flashed across his face was unmistakable, but he said nothing.

?I understand your obligations,? Neila sighed resignedly, ?and while it would be nice to have people with your particular gifts around in case of trouble, I have to agree ? you must discharge your duty to your order.?

Qui Gon nodded his head wordlessly in acknowledgement.

?But what about the two of you?? Neila turned her attention to Hrruggla and Rela; the embers of speculation in her eyes re-kindled momentarily, ?each of you are formidable in your own ways. Would you be interested in some of the opportunities that I suggested??

?I appreciate the offer,? Rela replied, stealing a quick glance at Qui Gon, ?but I too have obligations elsewhere, I made a promise and it?s one that I intend to keep.?

{Your offer is more tantalizing than I care to admit,} Hrruggla said slowly, her brown eyes took on a distant look as she considered the possibilities presented, {but there are business contacts that I have been out of touch with for far too long back on Coruscant, and I really need to keep a close eye on most of them. Besides, Rela and the Jedi need a pilot to get them safely home, so by goi

9. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Ohh I finally found it again, and look three long new post. Wonderful. I just wish Charsa wasn't dead. Hmmm
    Hey I've been reading this from the day you started I just haven't always had the time to reply.

10. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Love it!!! As per ususal we have yet another stunning post!

Kithera

11. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    Aw, thanks Gryph Grin, but it was your story that kept me coming back.

Certainly can't blame Countess Neila for wanting to keep the Jedi around for as long as possible.

12. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Psst! Its Sat. morning and I quickly got on for a quick peek.

Hey I'm back and this is the first story I read. (I'm afraid to go searching for mine) I missed the forum soooo much. Remind me never to do that again! I love the posts! I should have one soon. Keep posting.

13. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>From JediKnight-Obi-Wan: Hey I've been reading this from the day you started I just haven't always had the time to reply.

Okay, okay!

In all fairness, the next post will be dedicated to everyone out there who has replied. Just with additional thanks to HealerLeona, Jane Jinn, Mouse2, Alli-Wan, and Kit'

With that being said, I realize that the next post has to be a special one, so I'm going to polish it up some more before I post it tomorrow night after work.

The end is in sight, My Friends.

Until Tomorrow...

14. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    I'm off tomorrow so I can spend all day looking for your post Gryph Grin, that's so sweet to dedicate the next one.

I anxiously await it.

15. Alli-Wan

Dec 21, 1999
    Congratulations JGG on being so near the completion of your tale (not that it won't be sorely missed, because it will). I have thoroughly enjoyed this adventure you have taken us on. Soon, only one question will remain; where are you taking us next? Onward!

Looking forward to the next adventure, --AWK, QOI (Queen of Iffy) and PL (Professional Lurker)

16. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    That was sweet Gryph. I can't wait for your next post. All I can say is...

POSITY POST POST POSITY POST!!!!!!

17. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Okey dokey, here is the promised dedicated post. I'm not going to re-type all of the people this is for, you can see that a few posts above. Besides, my brain has turned to mush trying to get this thing finished, tho I still think it's kinda iffy. Let me know what you think!

Kason came awake to the annoying buzz of an alarm clock perched on his bedside table. He flung his right arm out in the general direction of the grating buzz and swept the offending alarm off the table and onto the floor where it continued its awful noise, but it was now out of reach and Kason realized that he would have to get out of bed if he wanted to do anything about it.

Might as well make the best of it, he thought to himself as he pushed his covers back and sat up in bed. The window showed that it was still the pitch black of night outside, though the lack of illumination mattered little to Kason because of the astonishing night vision he possessed.

He started to flip the switch of the lamp next to his bed, then stopped. What?s the point? he thought bitterly to himself, it?s not like Charsa is here to stub her toes on something walking around in the dark. Without turning on a light, he strode over and picked up the alarm clock, turning it off as he gently placed it back on the table. He made his way to the fresher and got cleaned up, dressed in his Jedi robes, and completed his preparation by clipping his lightsaber to his belt.

He looked around the room as he moved toward the door, making sure he hadn?t forgotten anything since he did not know if he would have a chance to check again before they departed for Coruscant.

Satisfied that he had overlooked nothing, he opened the door and stepped into the hallway, making his way to the common room where he would meet up with the others.

Qui Gon and Obi Wan were already there, both looking awake and alert, sharing a light breakfast of assorted fruits. They nodded to him in greeting without speaking since their mouths were currently occupied chewing their meal. As Kason joined the two Jedi and helped himself to a couple of melon slices, Hrruggla entered the room and passed immediately to a cupboard and poured a large steaming cup full of caffeinated stimulant. She finally joined the three Jedi and continued to sip gingerly from her steaming mug. A short time later Rela entered the room, yawning and blinking sleep from her eyes.

?Good morning,? Kason said to Rela, greeting her as he had all the others.

Rela snarled something unintelligible as she, too, went to the cupboard and poured a mug of the hot beverage.

?Pssst,? Obi Wan hissed to Kason, his eyes glittering with humor, ?be careful, Rela is many things...but a morning person she is not.?

Rela glared dangerously at the two Padawans, her eyes glowering at them from just above the rim of her coffee cup.

?Yikes,? Kason said back in a mock whisper, just loud enough for everyone to hear, ?that?s the truth. And if looks could kill, we?d both be lying on a slab right now.?

Rela growled something probably best unheard into her mug, and turned resolutely to stare out of the nearest window at the darkened cityscape.

?That?s enough Padawans,? Qui Gon said with what sounded suspiciously like a chuckle in his voice, ?I think it best if we all get to the ship and make our departure before the streets become too crowded, so if anyone needs to get anything from their rooms, now is the time to do so.?

When several moments had passed and no one made a move, Qui Gon clapped his hands together decisively. ?I think we should be on our way. As soon as the City gates open, I?m sure that there will be another influx of refugees. Hopefully we can get there before the gates open and avoid the rush.? He stood up to his full, impressive height and began walking towards the door with both Padawans right on his heels, Rela and Hrruggla bringing up the rear.

The early morning air was crisp and cool as the five companions walked briskly down the wide boulevard leading to the main gates of the City, beyond which waited the ship th

18. Alli-Wan

Dec 21, 1999
    Epilogue! Epilogue!

Or better yet, SEQUEL! SEQUEL!

Excellent work JGG! (Now we will mourn for the story is over. )

Thanks for the adventure. --AWK

19. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    I knew it. I just knew she wasn't dead. YES!
    It would have been so depressing had she really died. *sniff* But she didn't!

20. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    Jedi Gryph Grin, I started reading with a small hope in the back of my mind. I would never presume to push my wants on another writer but I continued to hope for a happy ending for Kason. As I watched the crowd with Kason my heart pounded with excitement. By the end I had tears of joy streaming down my face, so thrilled with his discovery.

You promised a special post, yet far exceeded any expectations I could possibly have. The way you built up emotions as they were leaving was inspired.

Your story was wonderful, a treat to revisit.
    Thank you for sharing it with us.

HL

21. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Awww, HealerLeona, you brought a tear to my eye. Thank you so much!

Thanks for the input Alli Wan, epilogues...yes, sequels...hmmmm, dunno yet.

JediKnight-Obi-Wan, you have no idea how close I came to leaving Charsa...ahem...demised. But at the last minute, a new story idea popped into my fwagile wittle mind.

(Plus I wanna see exactly how early my sis Mouse2 calls me in the morning, I've been evading the subject of Charsa's possible return with her for a while now).

Remember, 2 epilogues coming soon. One dealing with unanswered questions, and another, *insert creepy dark force music here*.

[This message has been edited by Jedi Gryph Grin (edited 05-24-2000).]

22. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Ahaha! I knew Charsa wasn't dead, I've been in denial all this time. Thanks for bringing her back, that last post was awesome!! Now, I eagerly await your two epilogues, and your next story!

23. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    And Gryph is you don't post those epilogues soon I will be wearing the finest pair or Gryph earrings around...or mabye not!

CooooL!

Kithera

24. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    I KNEW IT!

and no I'm not going to call you too early, but I will call and pester you. What are little sisters for? hehehe

I am really going to miss reading your story every day. Well at least I still have two epilogues I can pester you to post. I hope you do write another story sometime in the near (or far) future.

I love the way you had Rela take Kason down a notch. hehehe A Jedi afraid of a small girl, and boy he better he afraid!

25. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Awwww, happy end all around! I'm so happy that Charsa came back, even though I had resigned myself to her death.

Didn't you write something about the "sign" that Obi-Wan is supposed to be carrying? I'll have to go back and read the story again and see if you've answered that question in the meantime, because I simply don't remember. But if you haven't, I expect to see a good explanation in the epilogues!

I love Rela! That threat with the cat's tooth earrings was so powerful! And Hrrugla, too, was a great character. "What is it about Wookiees and starships?" Great line! An excellent story, Jedi Gryph Grin!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.