main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Divided we Fall: The reposting, back by popular request.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi Gryph Grin, Sep 7, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Now that's what I call service! I only asked for another post a little while ago!

2. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Another Uppers!

3. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

And again!

4. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    Lemur?s cry of a thousand-credit reward for his safety halted most of his (still living) guards in their headlong flight for personal safety. While the majority of them did not care a bit if their ruler lived or died, that was still a lot of money and would do much to improve the living conditions of their families.

As the guard contingent ran to protect Lemur, the ruler of Osiris continued to scream epithets and point at a single female that was running towards him over the smoking, blast pitted tarmac while swinging a glowing blue stick before her.

Not a few of the guards snickered to themselves behind their face shields, surely this young slip of a girl was no reason for their ruler to be frozen in abject terror. To stop Lemur?s inane squealing, one of the guards lowered his blaster and fired a single shot at the young woman. All of their mouths dropped open in surprise as the rushing girl brought her blazing blue stick down before her and not only intercepted the blaster bolt, but sent it hurtling back into their midst to impact directly on the chest of the one who had fired, sending his body flying backwards to lay lifelessly on the tarmac.

//Obi-Wan//, Qui-Gon sent through their bond, //find a discarded blaster and circle around behind Kithera, we have to stop her and get your lightsaber back before this gets any nastier than it already is.//

Obi-Wan nodded once and dashed off through the murky clouds of smoke that still enshrouded the landing field until Qui-Gon lost sight of him, though they could still feel each other?s presence within the force.

Of the now eight guards that had heeded Lemur?s call, five surrounded the ruler of Osiris and the other three concentrated their attention on the rapidly approaching girl with the blue energy stick. Time after time, she used her mysterious blue weapon to block their blaster fire and send it directly back at them diminishing their number even more, though at least one bolt got past her defense and slammed into her lower left hip. The blast caused her to cry out and stagger for a moment, but she quickly regained her headlong rush at Lemur who was now crouched on the tarmac. The young woman was close enough now that the guards could see that there was nothing in her eyes but madness?suddenly, a thousand credits didn?t seem like all that much.

The frenzied mob at the gates of the city had slowed in their desperate, frantic rush for the protection offered within, and now all eyes were turned to the chaos that centered on the less than popular ruler of their city.

"It?s the Witch," Lemur wailed, huddled on the ground within the dubious protection of the, now four guards, "The Witch of Dzur Mountain, come to punish us all!"

The two guards facing away from the charging girl saw a large shadow appear within the drifting smoke that floated across the tarmac. Its long hair flailing in the wind of it?s passing, huge wings flared out to either side like a predatory avian swooping down to strike unsuspecting prey. Both guards dropped to one knee and lifted their blasters to their shoulders, sending a barrage of scarlet bolts at the figure that bore down upon them.

Emerald power suddenly flamed into incandescence before the running figure and sang through the air as it deflected the blaster fire harmlessly away into the jungle. One guard fainted from sheer terror, while the other looked from his blaster to the approaching nightmare and back again?measured the odds of his success?threw down his weapon and ran screaming for the protection of the jungle.

Qui-Gon slowed in his mad dash and came to a stop next to the huddled form of Lemur, who still stared in horror at the figure of Kithera who was but a meter away. The young woman brought her emerald blade up to strike at the unprotected monarch and began the downstroke that would complete her revenge. Her arms were jolted painfully as her blade met the resistance of a glowing green blade, mere inches from Lemurs head.

"Stop this now Kithera," Qui-Gon said harshly, his eyes glinting dangerously at her, "no

5. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Ooooh, loved it! What's going to happen to Kithera now? And are the Jedi going to be able to talk teir way out of this one?

6. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Hey Calam, since you're probably the only one reading this, brace yourself. When I wrote it I thought Mouse was gonna strangle me.

Charsa and Rela, still holding the unconscious Mermil between them continued their arduous trek across the landing cavern with an equally exhausted and bedraggled Kason following in their wake.

Their journey was slowed significantly by the jumbled piles of collapsed granite ceiling that loomed around them on the floor of the cavern. They had to follow a wandering circuitous route to work their way around the towering piles of stone, and when no other path presented itself, they had to climb the obstructing mounds and claw their way slowly down the opposite sides; an effort made even more difficult by having to lug Mermil?s still form along with them, trying to avoid injury to him as well as themselves.

They were by no means alone in their plight. The cavern seemingly swarmed with pilots and warriors, barely seen in the dim, flickering light and sparking surveillance equipment, who climbed and descended the jagged piles of stone in search of their own way out of the moons environs. Occasionally, they would all look up as a starcraft whooshed by overhead on it?s way to the open portal, to pass through the shield generated field that kept the atmosphere intact in the huge cavern, and into space.

Charsa and Rela stopped in front of yet another unavoidable obstacle and surveyed its surface carefully to mark the most efficient way to climb over. Kason stood behind them silently, gaze directed at the floor as he swayed back and forth on unsteady, exhausted legs.

"I?ll go first this time," Charsa sighed to Rela, "let me get about halfway up and you push Mermil up the side to me, then you climb to the top and I?ll pass him to you." <Too bad Kason?s so out of it,> she thought to herself, <an extra set of hands sure would be a help with this. But that blast took everything out of him, he can barely pull himself along, much less drag a full grown man along with him.> She shrugged her shoulders, both in resignment as well as to loosen them up for the climb ahead.

She pulled on the force to guide her hands and booted feet to the most supportive of the cracks and protuberances in the stress crazed granite to assist her in her climb. About halfway up, she firmly gripped the edge of an exceptionally large crack in the rock and motioned with her right hand for Rela to push the Vicetta upwards until Charsa could get a good supporting grip around his torso, just under his arms.

As soon as she was sure that Charsa had a secure grip on Mermil, Rela made her way up the rock face and inched past Charsa?s precarious hold then proceeded to the top of the stone monolith. When she finally pulled herself to the top, she perched there for a brief moment panting heavily. After somewhat regaining her breath she flopped belly down on the cold, gritty surface and extended her arm down the side, nearly reaching the top of Charsa?s silver maned head. "Ok," she wheezed to the Jedi Master, "pass him on up."

After several minutes of grunting and straining, Charsa had lifted Mermil?s form up high enough for Rela to get a good grip on the ruler?s tunic and haul him to the top of the heap of stone, her small form belying the brute strength that she exhibited.

Despite the seriousness of their current situation, Charsa had to muffle a laugh more than once at some of the vile curses that Rela muttered under her breath as she struggled to pull Mermil?s weight to where she crouched. With her hands free again, Charsa quickly made her way to the top and took a moment to catch her breath and peered over the side to make sure that Kason was starting his own climb. Seeing only the top of her padawan?s grimy, sweat soaked head already moving up towards her, she nodded in satisfaction and turned to Rela, who was no less grimy and sweat stained than Kason and herself, "Ok, now for the easy part," she said with an ironic half smile.

The journey down the side of the rock face was accomplished in roughly half

7. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Gryph, "brace yourself" is NOT the same thing as "Have a box of tissues handy". Luckily as you've done a sequel and mentioned little bits in your story I managed to contain myself to Nooooo!

I'm looking forward to Kason's reaction.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That still makes me cry Gryph.

9. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Thanks for the replies, here's a bit more.

Rela caught her breath and held it as she watched Kason make a headlong dive and scrabble across the hangar floor, trying to reach his master in time. From her vantage point next to Mermil, she could see Kason?s shoulders moving quickly back and forth as he lay on his belly next to the gaping chasm in the granite surface.

<What?s happening?> Rela screamed inwardly, <where is Charsa? I can?t see anything from here dammit! What?s?>

A cold knot of fear cramped her stomach as she noticed that Kason?s shoulders were no longer moving, he was just lying there?staring into the pit. "K-Kason?" she managed to choke out, "is?where?s?is Charsa ok?" Her voice trailed off uncertainly.

Kason moved slowly, too slowly as far as Rela was concerned. He inched backwards from the edge of the chasm and Rela gasped when she realized that his hands were empty. The young Jedi rolled onto his back and sat up, his gaze moving immediately to meet Rela?s.

When she saw the heartbreaking grief in Kason?s emerald eyes, the cold knot in her stomach exploded as if someone had physically punched her in the stomach. <Oh Force?oh Force, no>, she thought, <Charsa?s gone?> She felt the pinpricks of unshed tears sting her eyes as she imagined the sense of loss that the padawan was feeling right now.

Rela watched as Kason stumbled his way to where she stood, his face revealed no emotion whatsoever although she could see the dried tear tracks running through the dust and grime that coated his face.

"Kason, I?m so sorry," she stammered when he was close enough to hear, "I?ll miss her too?"

"Later," he almost growled, obviously trying to keep his emotions under control, "there will be time for mourning later. We need to get out of here. She?she would want that."

"I would have to agree," Rela replied softly as she reached out to take Kason?s hand in sympathy, she got the hint when he snatched his hands behind his back before her?s was even close, "let?s get to the ship and make tracks, I?m starting to really not like this place."

Without another word she bent down to grab Mermil?s left arm and motioned for Kason to take the right. They hoisted the Vicetta between them and started to make their way to the ship that sat only a short distance away. "Did the pilot stay on board for the whole time you were here?" Rela asked, panting again from the exertion of carrying Mermil.

"I?I dunno?" Kason gasped in reply, "Charsa always?I guess I didn?t pay too much attention to that?"

Rela glanced sharply at the young padawan and was not pleased with what she saw. < He?s too pale,> she thought, <and my trouble bump is itching like crazy again. He?s exhausted and he?s totally freaked out about losing Charsa, we?re going to need some help.>

Kason stumbled to the right and his legs gave out beneath him, causing Mermil to thunk unceremoniously to the floor when Rela released her grip to avoid being pulled to the floor herself.

<POODOO!> Rela shrieked to herself, <only twenty meters to the ship and I?m going to have to find some way to get an unconscious man and an exhausted padawan the rest of the way?waitaminnit?is that who I think it is?>

"Sorry," Kason mumbled as he strained to stand up and failed, falling to the ground again.

"Stay down cat boy," Rela muttered absently, staring into the distance, "at least for now. I think I see a helping hand." She hoped fervently that the tall shaggy figure in the gloom-enshrouded distance was who she thought it was.

Kason watched in dumbfounded amazement as Rela began to jump into the air over and over again for no apparent reason, waving her arms and shouting at the top of her voice.

"Hrruggla, Hrruggla, over here!" Rela yelled, her voice cracking with the volume that she tried to project. The shaggy figure made no motion of having heard her and continued to move slowly in the opposite direction, picking it?s way carefully amidst the jagged debris that littered the cavern floor.

<Fine,> Rela thought to herself, <if she can?t hear m

10. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Yeah, I could easily see Rela doing that!

Poor Kason. *Sob*

11. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Bringing this up!

12. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    A very confused Obi-Wan stood next to an equally perplexed Qui-Gon Jinn within the domed council chamber in the capital building of Osiris. While they had not exactly been greeted with open arms, the natives of the jungle world were surprisingly tolerant of the Jedi?s presence here.

After some semblance of order had been regained on the ruined tarmac and Lemur?s body had been bundled up and taken away, the two Jedi had been led here by the members of what had once been Lemur?s council of advisors. The woman in blue, Countess Neila, had immediately taken charge of the proceedings and had politely asked first Obi-Wan, then Qui-Gon to address the council and give their reason for being here, as well as to relate the details of their journey to the city.

While each of the Jedi in turn told of the events that had led them here, the Council listened patiently with very few interruptions. When they were finished, Countess Neila again took charge and asked them to stand by in case there were any further questions for them. Qui-Gon bowed formally and led his Padawan off to the side of the chamber to stand in the cool shadows of the enormous room.

Countess Neila stood alone on the raised dais that had formerly held Lemur?s seat of power, the silence in the room lengthened until several of the assembled members shifted uncomfortably. Neila raised her gaze and stared out over the group of advisors. "My esteemed colleagues," she began in a strong, clear voice, "for many years the majority of us have fought together to lessen the damage that has been caused by Lemur and his tyrannical ways. All of us have suffered the loss of family and friends at Lemur?s hands, but our memories of loved ones lost did not weaken us, those memories served to make us fight even harder against what that madman would have us do. Alas, none of us found the courage to oppose him openly?if we had, perhaps today?s terrible events would never have transpired, but that is in the past. Now we must move forward I say, we must put Lemur?s ways behind us and strive for a future in which we and our families can live without fear for doing what we feel is right." She paused, scanning the faces of the assembled nobles to gauge their reaction to her words.

"Master," Obi-Wan whispered, his lips barely moving, "doesn?t this seem a bit odd?"

"Perhaps the reports of their maniacal hatred of outworlders was somewhat exaggerated," Qui Gon replied just as softly, "for the meantime, we will wait and listen. Be patient Padawan."

After noting several approving nods from the council members before her, Neila continued.

"As these two Jedi have stated here, our reputation among other worlds is not the best, and we are considered to be ignorant xenophobes by many other cultures. You are all well aware of Lemur?s hatred of outworlders, a mindset that he inherited from his father?and his father before him, that family?s short-sightedness has almost brought our civilization to it?s knees. I say it is time to change that. Here is what I propose: We now have the ability to rule this world as a committee?a Congress if you will, with no one person holding absolute power. And to keep us all honest, no one will be guaranteed a lifelong position here if they do not discharge their duties as befits their station." Neila paused again to take a deep breath, she opened her mouth to speak again, but instead jumped in startled surprise as every member of the Council rose to their feet, erupting in thunderous applause and cheering wildly.

Countess Neila stood as if dumbstruck by the standing ovation of her peers, her eyes welling with unshed tears of relief. The nobles continued to applaud wildly, the entire group milling around as handshakes and hugs were exchanged. The emotion of the moment reached a fevered pitch and only the two Jedi standing in the shadows noticed the chamber door banging open as a young woman wearing a technician uniform raced into the room with a panic stricken expression on her face.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan watched on in silence as the young tech offi

13. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Poor Kason, I've grown so fond of him.

Still an awesome read Gryph.

14. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Uppers!

Maybe Gryph will post again!

15. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

This is a great story Gryph! You've got me completely hooked. MORE!!!!!!!!

16. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Here's a bit more!!

Rela watched the wookie?s progress across the cavern floor and noticed that its path had gone somewhat astray. <What is the galaxy coming to when a Wookiee can?t track?> she wondered silently, <kind of a chilling thought, that. Oh well, time for a course correction.>

She once again fired a micro bolt from her blaster, aiming just above the wookie?s left ear.

"RRRROOOOWWWR!!!", a scream of primal rage echoed across the cavern as the shaggy figure turned its path slightly and finally spotted Rela standing stock still, with her blaster still in her hand.

The Wookiee?s speed increased as it approached, bounding over the scattered piles of debris, its angry growling that punctuated its strides could be heard even at Rela?s distance.

When the approaching figure was close enough to be seen from his vantage-point on the ground, Kason?s eyes widened slightly in surprise and concern. "Um?Rela, you do know what you?re doing?don?t you?" he asked, his voice more than a little bit strained, "I really don?t think that I?m in any kind of condition to fight off an angry Wookiee."

The tall shaggy form was bounding even closer, both youngsters could hear its deep, guttural growling and occasional howl of anger.

<It?s definitely headed directly for Rela,> Kason thought to himself, almost in panic, <I?ve got to help her, that Wookiee?s gonna tear her apart, what could she be thinking?> He pushed himself up off the cavern floor and slowly stood up, his legs quivering with fatigue. He took on agonizing step forward and his knees buckled beneath him, sending him sprawling to the floor once again.

Kason could only watch in horror as the Wookiee ran past him as if he wasn?t even there.

It reached out for Rela?s slight form and grabbed her in its huge, powerful hands. It swept her high up into the air with its massive arms, then brought her close in to it?s own body and?planted a big kiss right on the center of Rela?s forehead.

<HUH?!?!?!> Kason thought as his mouth dropped open in surprise. His confusion only increased as he saw Rela wrap her arms around the Wookiee?s neck and give it, <her> Kason?s mind told him, a heartfelt hug.

{Little Rela}, the Wookiee growled at the young human woman she held in her arms like a child, {how you?ve grown! I haven?t seen you in a gundark?s age. What are you doing so far out on the rim?}

"Oh, a little of this?a little of that," Rela replied in her usual evasive manner. She gave a close approximation of her usual impish smile, but evidently the Wookiee knew her too well to be deceived.

{My dear child}, crooned the Wookie, concern evident in her dark brown eyes, {whatever has happened to you?}

"Too much to tell right now," Rela almost sobbed, her eyes brimming with tears again, "I?ll tell you later, but for now we need to get out of here. We have a ship, but don?t know if we have a pilot. I?ve got one unconscious friend, and an exhausted Jedi apprentice who can barely hold his own head up. Will you help?"

{Of course, dear child}, the Wookiee replied softly, {truth to tell, I was looking for a way out of here myself. And besides, your friend Qui-Gon would ship my scalp to Mandalore himself if I refused you.} The Wookiee gave a deep grumbling chuckle.

"Ummm, S?cuse me," Kason interrupted from his place on the floor, "could someone tell me what?s going on here?"

"Oh! Sorry," Rela replied hurriedly as the Wookiee placed her gently back on her own feet, "Kason, this is Hrruggla. Hrruggla, this is Kason. And the unconscious guy over there is Vicetta Mermil. Hrruggla and her family took care of me for a while, um?when for a while I was unable to take care of myself."

{You travel in auspicious company these days little Rela}, Hrruggla whuffed gently, {do apprentice Jedi no longer travel in the company of a teacher?}

Kason?s quick intake of breath belied his calm exterior and Hrruggla quickly fixed him with her penetrating gaze. {Ahh, young Jedi. I think I understand what has gone on here. My apologies for waking your pain anew.}

17. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    "memories are not glass treasures to be kept locked within a box?they are bright ribbons to be hung in the wind"

That still jumps out a me Gryph. How wonderfully descriptive!

18. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Yes, I thought that line was beautiful too.

19. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Uppers!!!

Post more Gryph!!!!!!!

20. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    The sun was sinking slowly past the distant horizon as Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan stood on a high balcony with Countess Neila gazing upwards at the approaching ships that glided through the air in a corkscrew pattern, coming in to land on the tarmac before the city gates. There were easily a hundred airborne ships visible, their proximity beacons blinking amid the slowly emerging stars of the early evening.

"A beautiful sight, don?t you think?" the Countess commented, her gaze still following the graceful paths of the descending ships, "but I guess this sort of thing is pretty common to you."

"The beginning of a new future is never a common thing," Qui-Gon answered in a deep, soothing voice, "and I think you?ve began a good one here."

The three of them, standing on the balcony of one of the tallest towers of the city continued to watch the downward spiraling pattern of the approaching spacecraft. Neila occasionally murmured aloud with appreciation of the airborne maneuvers, while Obi-Wan and his Master scanned the multitude of ships with their minds trying to find some hint of presence from their fellow Jedi.

"Master," Obi-Wan commented quietly to Qui-Gon, "I can feel nothing of their presence. Do you think Master Charsa and Kason may have not?"

"Patience, Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon interrupted his padawan in mid-sentence, "there are too many distraught life forms within the arriving ships to sort all of the life signatures out. Emotions and fear are running rampant among the refugees of Llakret. For the meantime, we must wait."

"Am I to understand that you had ?friends? present on Llakret?" Neila asked, one of her eyebrows arched elegantly in suspicious inquiry, "could they have possibly caused this situation. It certainly sounds like a rather convenient plan to take control of both the moon Llakret and Osiris at the same time."

"I assure you Madame," Qui-Gon replied with a slight chill in the tone of his voice, "we Jedi do not seek personal gain. We are protectors and peacekeepers, nothing more."

Neila raised her hands before her with palms up, and smiled slightly, "I believe you Master Jedi," she said softly, "I only ask the question because I am sure the subject will come up again when the Congress next meets. I must warn you that there will be questions asked that may not be comfortable, especially about the young woman who attacked Lemur using one of your weapons." She sighed softly, and looked again at the spacecraft that were spiraling in to land on her once isolated planet, then returned her gaze to Qui-Gon?s, "most of us despised Lemur, and hated his tyrannical ways. But, there are some among the Council who became very rich because of his reign, they will be the ones who challenge you?and those of us who believe in this new beginning."

"I understand," Qui-Gon replied, "we will be wary. My thanks for your warning, Obi-Wan and I will be especially vigilant?"

"MASTER!" Obi Wan interrupted with a shout, his voice filled with joy as he pointed at one of the uppermost of the ships in the procession, "there it is!! They must be okay!"

Qui-Gon?s gaze followed the direction indicated by his padawan. Indeed, in the high reaches of the atmosphere of Osiris he saw the unmistakable scarlet colored needle-like bulk of a courier vessel. <Is it ours though?>, he thought as he tried to scan it for any familiar presence, <too far away and too much interference to tell for sure.>

21. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Ooooooh, more please Gryph!

22. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Noooooooooo!!!!!! Gryph will never find you way down here! Back up with you!

*Grins and flutters eyelashes*

Can we get the next bit please?

23. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Uppers here too!!!!

24. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

And again!

25. Calamity Jinn