main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Divided we Fall: The reposting, back by popular request.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi Gryph Grin, Sep 7, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    Crazy, hectic real life stuff going on these days. At least I already had this story written.

{Looks from here as if the message was genuine}, Hrruggla grunted softly to Rela, who was staring intently at the data screen in front of her, {I?m interested to see what kind of reception we?ll get when we touch down}.

"I could easily go all day without finding that out," Rela replied, momentarily taking her eyes from her screen where she was monitoring the distance between them and the ship in front of them, "I?m still trying to figure out how to fade away gracefully after we land."

{After all you?ve been through, you mean to desert your friends back there?} The Wookiee?s thumb jabbed over her shoulder indicating their two passengers ensconced in the ship?s tiny med bay, {not to mention leaving me alone to try to explain their condition, as well as why I?m piloting a republic courier vessel that doesn?t even belong to me!} Hrruggla?s expressive brown eyes were full of concern as she imagined the probable outcome of being stuck in such a situation.

"No, you?re right," Rela responded with a grimace and turned her gaze back to the data screen, "we?ve got to get Kason and Mermil taken care of first. With their presence I don?t think we?ll be questioned too much about the ship. But what worries me even more is the all too real possibility of running into Qui-Gon while we?re there."

{The two of you have always been close friends}, Hrruggla stated a little too loudly in surprise, {did something happen between you to change that?} The concern in the Wookie?s eyes caused Rela to feel a momentary surge of guilt.

"No, no," she replied hurriedly, "nothing like that! It?s just that?well?you see?He really probably doesn?t expect me to be anywhere else except Coruscant just now."

Hrruggla?s dark shaggy eyebrows rose and arched questioningly, {and why would he think that?}

"Weeeeeeelll?I guess because that?s kinda what I told him," Rela answered, a sheepish grin hovering about her lips.

{Kinda?!?}

"Ok, fine, so I told him I?d be on Coruscant," Rela exclaimed, throwing her hands up in exasperation, "but classes haven?t started yet, and I figured that some time spent out here on the rim could be considered research?kinda."

{My, my}, Hrruggla whuffed in soft laughter, {you do like to use that word don?t you?}

"It has its uses," Rela sniffed haughtily, her eyes dancing with suppressed mirth.

Both of them snapped their attention back to the ship?s controls when one of the proximity alarms began shrieking a warning. The vessel in front of them had deviated significantly from the flight path that had been ordered by the landing officials and was now creating a hazard for several other craft in the procession by lurching it?s bulk back and forth with no apparent regard for the other refugee ships.

Hrruggla?s furry hands danced nimbly across the piloting console as she tried to direct the courier vessel on a course that would avoid collision with the other ship. She slammed one hand brutally on the communications switch, denting the console slightly and bringing the transmitter online. {Watch your descent path, you slobbering nerf herder!} she roared into the microphone, her eyes blazing with barely controlled fury, {wait in line like the rest of us!}

The Wookiee?s hands continued in their dance manipulating the ship?s controls and Rela suddenly heard the front thrusters fire at maximum power, causing the ship to shudder in protest as its forward momentum was almost eliminated.

Rela?s heart seemed to leap up into her throat as the courier vessel suddenly dropped like a stone through the surrounding atmosphere of the planet and she shrieked uncontrollably, "Hrruggla, what are you?" Her cry went unfinished as she was slammed violently backwards in her seat when the main rear engines came to life with a bone numbing roar and the ship leapt forward.

Responding to the Wookiee?s expert piloting skills, the courier vessel skimmed just beneath the offending craft?s belly and rose smoothly back i

2. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
  3. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

"Is it me you're looking for.."

Okay, I know it wasn't that funny!

It's....aaaaagggghhh...look at the time!!!! Almost one in the morning. I was going to say it's late which is why it's a feeble attempt at humour.

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

Back up with you! More please, I need to know what Kason says to Qui-Gon, what he does next and if Rela manages to avoid detection.

4. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Here's a bit more, holiday is approaching fast and furious, only a couple more days...

Qui Gon and Obi Wan walked side by side as they followed Countess Neila through the crowded streets on their way to the huge city gates and the now planetbound courier ship waiting beyond.

<Something must be wrong with the ships communications system,> Qui-Gon thought to himself, carefully shielding his feelings of anxiety from his padawan, <Charsa is a major stickler for full updates whenever anything noteworthy occurs.>

When they arrived at the gates and were able to view the landing field outside, all three were amazed at the chaos that ran wild among the refugee ships. Medical teams were seemingly everywhere treating the injured as effectively as possible for the meantime and were evidently arranging transport to the med facilities for those who would require further attention to their injuries.

Obi-Wan focused his attention back and forth among the injured who were waiting for their turn at treatment, searching for the familiar faces of the Jedi who had begun this mission with he and his Master. His search so far yielded nothing, but he continued to keep an eye on the assembled beings awaiting medical attention?just in case.

Qui-Gon caught the merest glimpse of the courier vessel perched on the far edge of the bustling landing field. Finding himself unable to endure this leisurely pace, he strode forward briskly and replaced the Countess as the leader of the small group. The refugees that crowded the tarmac surface shrank back from his imposing form and scowling expression, providing a clear path to his destination.

They arrived at the red tinged ship to find it with its engines completely shut down and the main hatch locked tight. There was no activity whatsoever around it, which was suspicious enough for Obi-Wan to keep his hand near the hilt of his light saber. Qui-Gon stalked up to the entryway and punched a code into the access panel, the door immediately irised open and he stepped into the dimly illuminated interior while Obi-Wan and Neila waited outside in the early twilight.

Several tense minutes later Qui-Gon reappeared at the entryway, exited the craft and closed the portal behind him and returned to stand with his padawan and the Countess. "Obviously this is our ship since my access code worked, but there is no one on board," he told them with a grave note in his voice, "there are a number of travel packs lying about as if whoever was on board didn?t take the time to carry their belongings with them. Unfortunately, I didn?t recognize any of the packs, and there was no owner identification on any of them."

Obi-Wan had noticed the slight gleam of worry in his Master?s eyes as he delivered the last statement and thought quickly of how he might ease Qui-Gon?s concern. "Master," he said, trying to keep the tone of his voice light, "you said yourself that there is too much raw emotion flying around right now to be able to sense Master Charsa or Kason. Let?s give it some time and see what happens."

A soft chime from Neila?s silver wristband stalled Qui-Gon?s reply and the two Jedi watched wordlessly as the Countess lifted her left wrist to her ear and listened to the muted message delivered by the communicator. Several times during the brief interlude Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan could sense flashes of surprise and curiosity through the force from the Countess as she listened to whatever she was being told. The message evidently ended quickly because she lowered her arm and turned to gaze directly at the two Jedi before her.

"Interesting news," she said slowly, as if she were choosing her next words carefully, "that was a med technician letting me know that two injured passengers from this vessel have just been admitted to one of the medical centers. He said that one of them was similarly attired as yourselves, so I?m assuming it is one of you missing friends."

"And the other?" Qui-Gon asked impatiently.

"That one actually has a name," Neila replied, her eyes shining in curiosity, "the p

5. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Holiday time...see ya'll in a week!

The med tech Jonn-Vek arrived before any of the three felt the stirrings of impatience. Qui-Gon was the first to catch sight of the middle-aged technician walking toward them. The man had a guileless, open face with laugh lines around his eyes and mouth, all topped off by a thinning shock of graying brown hair.

"Greetings Countess," he said in a subdued yet distinct voice, "how may I be of service to you and your companions?" He eyed the two Jedi warily, his unease around outworlders was painfully apparent.

"We seek information," Neila replied, consciously pitching her voice to be as soothing as possible, "you contacted me earlier concerning the arrival of Vicetta Mermil and an injured outworlder. You said that someone had accompanied them at the time and told you who the Vicetta was."

"I may have oversimplified things in the telling Countess," Jonn-Vek coughed slightly and his face took on an embarrassed look, "when I arrived on the scene, one of the emergency volunteers had already taken charge of the two patients. When I asked her if they were accompanied by any one she just pointed at two figures walking in the other direction. I called out to them, but I doubt they could hear me?what with all the pandemonium taking place, and they just faded into the crowd."

"What did they look like?" Obi-Wan blurted out, losing his patience momentarily, "were you able to see them well enough?"

"Well," Jonn-Vek replied, "like I said, things were pretty crazy at that point so I didn?t get a really good look. But one of them was tall?very tall and was covered in shaggy fur. The other was a young woman, though I wasn?t able to see her face."

"Perhaps we could talk to the volunteer who was there?" Qui Gon suggested in a tone of voice that indicated it was not a question.

"I wish you could," Jonn-Vek replied sincerely, "but I don?t know who she was, I?d never met her before." He shrugged to indicate his helplessness.

"Could we possibly visit our comrade?" Qui-Gon asked, his frustration obvious in the tone of his voice, "I?d like to make sure it really is him, not to mention checking on his condition."

"Now that I can do," Jonn-Vek said, relieved that he could offer some help after all, "if you will follow me?" He turned and led them to a door that opened into a corridor behind the reception area.

"We have them in the security ward for the meantime," the med tech said over his shoulder as he led the way down a hallway that reeked of antiseptic, "because of the Vicetta?s importance, and the mystery your ?comrade? presented, we thought it best to keep them apart from the other patients."

"A wise precaution," Qui-Gon replied gruffly as the technician stopped and opened a door on their right. The room they entered held ten beds, five to each side, but only the two closest to the door were occupied. In the first was a man Qui-Gon had never seen before, though even without prior acquaintance Qui-Gon could tell that this man had experienced some rough times in the recent past.

"Vicetta Mermil," Countess Neila murmured to the still and silent figure lying before her, "we meet at long last." She turned her attention from the unconscious form and looked at Jonn-Vek, "he looks like he?s been dragged face down through all nine hells. What is his condition?"

"He is stable, Countess," the med tech replied, "he has a rather nasty blaster burn on his side, and a serious concussion. But I am confident that he will recover?with time."

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan walked to the next bed and stared down at its occupant. Short, spiky blond hair atop a young face that was much too pale, padawan braid lying listlessly and frayed on the white hospital pillow. Crisp, white linen sheets that came very close to matching the chalky pallor of the young man?s skin covered the rest of his body.

"Kason," Qui-Gon breathed in dismay, "what has happened to you?" His gaze was drawn to the dark circles under the young man?s eyes. Sunken cheeks gave the padawan?s face an unhealthy gauntness

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Have fun Gryph!

I'll just wait in the ship with Qui-Gon til you return.

Obi-Wan, why don't you go find something to eat.

7. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Um, Healer Leona, can I wait with you?

8. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Um...three's a crowd Calam. J/K

Obi, why don't you find something for all of us to eat...and maybe a holovid or two to keep the four of us occupied while we wait for Gryph to return. Something scary.

9. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Sorry for the HUGE delay. Real life has become something like a tangled knot, I'm not complaining...I'm just clueless as to which path to follow...I'm babbling.

At least I can continue posting this re-telling since it's already written, "When a Child Cries Out in the Night" will contine...I just don't know exactly when, so don't dismiss it just yet.

A heartfelt thanks to all of you who continue to follow along, it means a lot.

The late night air of Osiris was more than a little bit chilly and Rela?s body shivered uncontrollably as she and Hrruggla left the confines of the city walls and made their way onto the edge of the landing field.

{Remind me again why we?re skulking around at this time of night}, Hrruggla said in a low-pitched growl, {a good night?s sleep would do us both good.}

"I know," Rela replied, trying to keep the note of frustration out of her voice, "but we have to get back to the ship and get our stuff before anyone has a chance to inspect it."

{You mean before Qui-Gon has a chance to inspect it?} the Wookie growled in response, amusement tingeing her words, {why are you so afraid of him?}

"I?m not so afraid of him," Rela sighed as she pulled her cloak more securely around her to ward off the chill air, "I?m more afraid of disappointing him."

{Maybe next time you will honor your promises}, Hrruggla said softly as they began weaving their way through the silent maze of quiescent star ships.

If looks could kill, the one Rela threw at Hrruggla would have had the Wookie lying on a slab in the coroner?s office. She stopped herself in mid-thought, <I?m worn out and on a hair trigger>, she thought to herself, <if I?m not careful I could alienate the only friend I have right now>. "Hrruggla, I appreciate your help and friendship, but don?t pass judgement on me. I?m my own worst critic, and there?s not anything you can say that I haven?t said to myself a thousand times over."

{I know, dear child}, Hrruggla replied softly, her tall, shaggy form silhouetted against the star studded night sky, {I just wanted to make sure that you were thinking things through}.

Within the dimly illuminated ship Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan waited patiently, the Jedi Master was meditating?Obi-Wan could feel the undulating waves of Force concentration emanating from his teacher, but try as he might, he could not calm himself enough to be one with the force.

<Something is about to happen,> Obi-Wan thought uneasily as he poked at the pile of travel packs with his booted toe, <something about this feels like the calm before a storm.>

As if in response to Obi-Wan?s unspoken comment, Qui-Gon?s eyes snapped open. His emerald gaze moving to meet that of his padawan. "Someone is approaching," the Jedi Master said softly, "two someones actually. Be ready Obi-Wan."

A sharp pang of hurt stabbed at the young man. <When have I not been ready Master?> he thought, shielding his thoughts carefully, <why do you find it necessary to remind me of that all the time?> He immediately pushed that thought away as being unworthy of a Jedi, followed his Master?s example and faded into the shadows of the ship?s entryway.

Master and Padawan stood immobile within the concealing shadows of the ship as the entryway cycled open accompanied by a rush of fresh air. Two figures stood in the opening, one tall and shaggy, the other was slight, almost delicate, and enshrouded by a heavy, voluminous cloak. The hatch closed behind the two figures and for a moment there was no sound within the confines of the small area. "So far, so good," a light, lilting soprano voice echoed from the durasteel bulkhead.

"Identify yourselves!!" Qui-Gon?s voice thundered in the cold silence as he stepped from the shadows, his voice ripping through the room. With a buzz-humm of power an emerald blade of pure energy erupted from the silver cylinder that he held.

{Stop, Qui-Gon!} the dark, tall figure roared, {you know me!}

The other, smaller figure gave out an ear piercing shriek and darted into an adjoining cabin.

Obi-Wa

10. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    "He?s standing right behind me, isn?t he?" Rela asked in a forlorn, tired voice.

LOL--One of my favorite parts!

11. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Now, I'm just being greedy 'cos you're already delighting us with your other story. BUT, as I'm reading this for the first time, I'd love it if you could put some more up here....

Please?

12. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Oopsie!! Sorry, I got tied up with "When a Child Cries...", my bad. :)

Qui-Gon lay on his small bed wrapped in his Jedi robes and his eyes stared off at nothing in the inky blackness of the cabin he shared with his padawan onboard the courier vessel. From across the cramped cubicle, he could hear Obi-Wan?s rhythmic breathing and an occasional dream induced mumble from the young man as he slept.

<It?s all so much to try to absorb at once,> thought the Jedi Master as he continued to gaze at nothing, his thoughts tumbling over each other.

After their surprising reunion earlier, and after he had convinced Rela that he wasn?t going to kill her for her duplicity?yet, they had all settled down in the main gathering area of the ship and listened to Rela?s tale of the events that had occurred on Llakret and ended in such a horrific conclusion for the moon colony and the poor souls who had not made their way to safety. Time stretched and before they realized it, the early morning hours were upon them. By the end of telling her story, Rela?s emotions were wound so tight that Qui-Gon knew that there was no chance that she would be able to rest at all this night. Obi-Wan had been similarly affected and in a fit of desperation Qui-Gon had called on the force to compel both of the youngsters to go to sleep, if only for the remaining two hours until the sun rose. But try as he might, he could not force himself to relax enough to find the sleep that he craved.

<Charsa?>, the Jedi Master?s mind whispered to him unbidden.

<Jedi are no strangers to the possibility of death,> Qui Gon mused, his thoughts turning mournful, <sometimes the path we follow demands it. But to go in such a way?what a waste.> He shook his head slightly in heartfelt regret.

<And Kason,> Qui Gon?s mind almost reeled at Rela?s description of explosive power that the teenager had unleashed, <whatever he did, it was NOT Final Strike as Charsa thought. The legend of Final Strike has always entailed that the Jedi who invokes the rite is destroyed along with the target, hence the reason it was supposedly only used as a last resort. I don?t know what he did, but I certainly would not want to try it?unless there were no other choice.>

He sighed softly and tried to re-arrange himself into a more comfortable position, yet sleep still eluded him. From the corner of his eye he caught a glimpse through the cabins only porthole of the slightly less dark night outside, the sky was taking the deep bluish cast that heralded the approach of morning.

<Time to get up and get everyone organized,> Qui Gon said, looking regretfully at his tousled bunk, <first order of business is to go check on Kason, then we?ll see what else the day has in store for us.>

As the four companions gathered in the main cabin of the ship, Rela?s head felt as if it was packed full of straw and her eyes were gummy due to lack of sleep. None of the others looked as if they felt any better, so she decided to keep her mouth shut and not complain.

The hatchway opened at Qui-Gon?s command and they all stepped out into the almost painfully bright sunshine of the new morning. They all started off on their journey across the landing field, Qui-Gon in the lead with Hrruggla, Obi-Wan and Rela trailing behind. Shadows of the high flying, puffy white clouds seeming to chase each other among the stationary spacecraft standing on the tarmac.

"So Rela," Obi-Wan asked with a casual air as he sidled up beside her, "just out of curiosity, how did you end up on Llakret to begin with?"

"Could the formal inquisition into my presence on the moon please wait until both of my eyes are open?" Rela snapped back in response, the tone of her voice a bit more acidic than she?d intended.

"Not a problem," Obi-Wan replied tersely, shrugging his shoulders to indicate his nonchalance, "whatever suits you." He then lengthened his stride somewhat to catch up to his master and walked side by side with Qui-Gon.

"Ugh," Rela muttered softly, "too little sleep and too many things to worry ab

13. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Thanks Gryph! He, he, love it how Rela got caught!

14. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Here's some more Calam, since you seem to be the only one reading this. I think I made a HUGE mistake making the first part of this reposting so gigantic, my bad...I should have just done it using regular sized entries. *sigh*

The four continued on their trek through the city wordlessly until they reached the entrance to the med center, Qui-Gon stopped and turned to look at Rela and the Wookiee. "Please try not to get into any trouble while we?re inside," he said with a hint of weariness in his voice.

Hrruggla growled unhappily at having someone think she needed to be reminded of such a thing.

Rela fluttered her eyelashes coyly as she unleashed one of her most dazzling smiles, and was gratified to see the corners of the Jedi?s mouth quirk slightly upward in response. <So he?s unfrozen towards me somewhat,> she mused silently, her spirits considerably lifted, <we?re not out of this yet, so I had better play my cards carefully.>

Inside the Med Center the light was subdued and comforting while the temperature was a welcome decrease from humid, almost steamy weather outside. Rela sighed in relief as the cool indoor air dried the perspiration that was beaded on her forehead.

They passed the administration desk and made their way down a lengthy hallway. Roughly halfway to the end Qui-Gon stopped, opened a door and passed inside followed by the others.

Standing just inside were two people that Rela had never met before, their facial features and tanned skin indicated that they were native to Osiris.

Qui-Gon beckoned Rela and Hrruggla to step forward and then turned to face the two strangers. "Countess Neila and Med Tech Jonn-Vek," the Jedi said as he placed one hand gently on Rela?s shoulder, "allow me to present a recent addition to our little group?Rela, someone whom I?ve known for quite some time."

Jonn-Vek nodded wordlessly in greeting while Neila murmured a brief, "welcome." Their attention locked on the imposing figure of the Wookiee standing nearby, both wore astonished expressions on their faces and scarcely even blinked as they stared at the unfamiliar being.

"And this?"

"And this," Rela interrupted Qui-Gon as she placed her hand on the Wookiee?s shaggy arm, "is Hrruggla, a dear and trusted friend." She noticed the look of unease and concern in the two sets of eyes and decided she should try to put them at their ease. "Don?t worry," Rela quipped brightly, patting Hrruggla?s arm in a friendly manner, "she doesn?t bite." Rela?s smile dimmed a little and she looked at the floor as if in deep thought. "Well?no, actually that?s not quite true," she continued cheerfully as if she were discussing the weather, "she DOES bite?but just not friends."

Rela beamed happily at the small group for a long moment until finally Obi-Wan coughed loudly as he tried to stifle a laugh at the young woman?s impertinence. Obi-Wan glanced quickly at Qui-Gon and was surprised to see the Jedi Master?s eyes twinkling with suppressed mirth.

"Who?s making all the noise?" a sleepy voice sounded from one of the beds, all six visitors turned around to find themselves being regarded by a set of emerald green, black slitted eyes.

"Well, hello cat boy," Rela called softly as she walked towards the young Jedi, "so you decided to re-join us, hmmm? How?re you feeling?"

"I?ve been better," Kason replied with a wry grimace as he tried to sit up so he could see everyone from a more comfortable position.

Obi-Wan stepped forward and hastily put his arm behind the younger Jedi to ease him into a sitting position while Rela plumped extra pillows on the bed to help support him.

Kason eased back into the oversized pile of cushions behind him with an obvious sigh of relief. "Thanks," he said in his soft voice, "that?s much better. I don?t seem to have much strength at the moment."

"That will not last long young padawan," Qui-Gon said comfortingly, "I can sense that you are on the road to recovery already, have patience and soon you will be good as new. Soon you will be back among those at the Jedi Temple

15. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Hmm, I don't know where all the others disappeared to! Never mind, after winning best male author they'll be flocking in droves to read this!

Yep, that's the Rela we all know and love! Poor Kason. I really wanted to whack Qui-Gon for being so insensitive.

More please Gryph!

16. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    The passage of a mere two days time found Kason physically strong enough to leave the Med Center permanently and partially resume normal activities, as long as they didn?t tax his strength too severely. Qui-Gon was secretly concerned about the young man?s emotional recovery, and was reminded of that every time he looked into the boy?s lackluster green, feline eyes. Kason?s face and body were still gaunt and paler than normal, but that was sure to improve in time; but for some reason the absence of vitality in his eyes troubled the Jedi Master greatly.

During waking hours Kason divided his time between his fellow Jedi in their silent observation of the newly formed Congress - and Rela, who accompanied him on long walks through the City Gardens, sometimes talking?sometimes listening?sometimes they just walked in silence, each content to allow the other to dwell on private thoughts.

After years of observing the seemingly endless debate and frustrating rhetoric of the Republic Senate, all three Jedi were somewhat amazed at the direct efficiency of the new Congress of Osiris. In less than a week they had decided upon the checks and balances that would be incorporated into the budding Government so that one part would never be able to overpower another. Qui-Gon was quite sure that the presence of the imminently capable Countess Neila played an important part in the efficiency of the Ruling Body.

After the break for mid-day meals was concluded, the Congress again convened to continue its development of the new planetary government. The Jedi Master and two Padawans moved to an unobtrusive distance from the throng of delegates and sat on benches far enough away so as not to intrude, but close enough to hear what was going on.

Obi-Wan and Kason muttered to each other in scarcely concealed surprise when they saw Rela enter the still-open doors of the chamber and began wandering in their general direction.

"I thought politics bored you to tears," Obi-Wan said quietly to Rela as she arrived and deftly wiggled herself between him and his Master to sit on the long wooden bench.

"Something tells me that today may be a little different," she replied as she squirmed a bit, trying to get a little more comfortable, "I just thought I?d take a look around." Her brown eyes twinkled as she took in the surrounding chamber and the assembled dignitaries, making tiny monosyllabic noises when she spotted something or someone interesting.

Qui-Gon continued to stare down at her, one eyebrow raised questioningly above his sea blue eyes, but he decided to say nothing for the meantime.

His other eyebrow rose to match the first when he noticed the form of Vicetta Mermil come walking, however unsteadily, into the Congressional meeting place.

"Hold on to your robes, boys." Rela?s half whisper was barely audible, but the three Jedi heard it plain and clear. Obi-Wan and Kason turned to her for clarification, but she just stared forward intent on the proceedings - as did Qui-Gon.

"My dear Vicetta," Neila?s contralto voice sounded clearly throughout the Congressional Chamber, "you should be resting - do you not trust us to inform you of anything important to your holding?" An irritated and slightly suspicious gleam shone in the Countess? eyes.

"On the contrary beautiful Lady," Mermil replied as he plopped down unceremoniously in an empty seat near the assembly, "it is I who wish to give YOU important information." It was obvious that he was still not fully recovered, his face was too pale and perspiration dappled his forehead even though it was quite cool in the chamber, but his gaze was sharp and his voice did not waver in the least when he spoke. Several more of the Congress members turned in their seats to look at Vicetta Mermil and fixed their attention on him.

"By all means then," Neila said and gestured gracefully with both hands for Mermil to continue speaking, "tell us what is so important that it causes you to leave your bed and bring you all the way to the Capital Building."

Mermil stood unsteadily and fastened

17. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Hey, another one to read, goody!

Yes, Qui-Gon, you keep an eye on Kason. Rela girl, nothing's ever dull when you're around!

18. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Forgive me for not posting sooner to let you know I'm still avidly rereading this.

And a great big Congrats on winning Best Male Author, a well-deserved award!

19. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Thanks Calam & H.L.

********During the decades of short-sighted leaders, and capped by Lemur?s iron fisted rule on Osiris, thousands of people had been exiled for whatever reason, be it real or imagined.

Many of those forced to leave the City had taken their families with them, unwilling to be separated from their loved ones at any cost. As the seasons turned and the years had drifted slowly past, those families grew and many joined together to form small communities all over the planet. While the thousands of people grew to even greater numbers, their means of survival were crude since they no longer possessed the technology that was taken for granted when they lived within the City. Though the lives they lived were primitive, the exiles did not revert to a barbaric state, instead they carefully preserved the knowledge of City life, waiting for the day that Lemur ruled no longer and they could finally go home.

One day there came a call?a call unlike any heard in the eons old history of the planet called Osiris by its current inhabitants. Spiraling out from the Capital City at its center, the call traveled slowly?it traveled at the pace of wandering traders and free spirited explorers. From community, to village, to small single-family cotholds the call made it?s way - slowly gaining momentum. It would take years for the call to wend it?s way around the entire globe, but it would happen? eventually. In each subsequent exile community that the call reached, it?s effects were the same: people would stop what they were doing - they left their fields in the middle of cultivation, they left their laundry drying on the banks of creeks and rivers, they stopped in the middle of their bartering in the marketplaces.

They returned to their homes and calmly began packing their belongings and readying their children for traveling. The call had come?and continued on its way to more distant areas.

?Lemur is no more?it?s time to go home. ?

Even though there were no more ships landing on the city?s tarmac from Llakret, not all ships had been able to reach the landing coordinates and had landed or crashed elsewhere on the surface of the humid jungle planet. Survivors of those ships struggled through the depths of the unfamiliar jungle terrain and eventually, if they were lucky, made their way to the surrounding environs of the Capital City.

Tired to the depths of their souls, dirty and unwashed for days on end, many injured people began making their way out of the jungles and approached the Capital City. Both natives and crash survivors began streaming into the City, and more were still arriving in groups of varying size. It was expected by the Congress, and others that this would continue for some time.

The streets and avenues of the Capital City were crowded beyond their designed capacity, travel time was no longer measured in minutes but in hours. Medical Centers and free Hostels were crammed full to the bursting point. Hostel rooms meant to accommodate four guests at a time now played temporary home to as many as fifteen to twenty people. The Medical Centers found themselves in the same predicament as the limited number of beds quickly ran out, patients now slept on chairs, couches, and in many instances slept on the cold, hard tiles of the floor.

Because of the dangerously crowded condition within the Medical Center, it was quite some time before Mermil?s condition could be addressed.

Several hours after Mermil?s re-admittance to the Med Center, Jonn-Vek entered the facility?s foyer and made his way through the crush of beings to meet with a very nervous Rela and a stoic Qui-Gon Jinn. The moment their eyes met the technician?s they knew that the prognosis for the Vicetta was not good.

"So how bad is he?" Rela asked, her voice calm and even. Qui-Gon stood next to her, silent and motionless.

Jonn-Vek cleared his throat self-consciously and paused a moment to look at the clipboard he carried in his right hand. "His condition is much more serious than I?d originally surmised," he replied w

20. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Ooooooh, another twist in the tale!

21. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Hellooooooooo...*waves*.

More please, or I'll have to start calling you that name again!

22. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Here ya' go Calam, and hopefully still H.L. Wow, I'm almost at the end of this reposting with only three pages to show for it...the original was, like, twenty something pages with all the comments and stuff.

NOTE TO ALL WHO CHOOSE TO REPOST THEIR STORIES: wait about six months and then post it as if it is new, those huge chunks I re-posted at the beginning of this most likely killed any interest (except Calam and H.L., but they were actually looking for them). Save yourself the heartache of seeing your re-posted story mostly ignored. *sigh*

On with the story.

Obi-Wan had been one of the first to volunteer his services in helping some of the less seriously injured refugees relocate to Countess Neila?s estate where they could recover from their wounds and exhaustion in a relatively comfortable atmosphere.

He was assigned to assist an elderly Med Tech by the name of Trista whose quick, decisive movement and acerbic wit belied her fragile seeming exterior. Obi-Wan was astonished at Trista?s medical knowledge and had already learned much from her in the short time they had worked together. They only had a few more patients to check on during their rounds of the west wing of Neila?s estate, checking to make sure that the people who had been moved here had suffered no ill effects during their relocation. So far, everyone they had checked on seemed to be doing quite well, many of them were heartily relieved to be in these calm, restful accommodations after having to endure the over-crowded chaos of the Medical Center.

"I never thought I would live to see such interesting times," Trista said brightly to Obi-Wan as they walked side by side down the hallway to the room of the next patient on her list, "I wouldn?t miss it for the world though. This sort of thing is exactly why I studied healing in the beginning, would have been nice if it had happened when I was a bit younger though."

"You mean you actually enjoy this sort of thing?" Obi-Wan replied in a puzzled voice, "Not to sound disrespectful, but there is a lot of pain and suffering going on around us?"
    "You misunderstand my meaning young Obi," Trista interrupted him in mid sentence, "it is not the pain of others that I crave?it is the fact that I am able to help those that are less fortunate than I. I have studied all my life to gain the knowledge I have, and for me to be able to use that knowledge to help ease a person?s pain is a reward that I cannot put into words. To wish that no one would ever be hurt or injured is not realistic, so I do the next best thing?which is to be prepared for when someone needs my help."

The young Jedi resisted the urge to remind her, AGAIN that his name was not Obi, but he was fairly certain that another reminder would find as little success as the last hundred times he had mentioned it. "I understand now," he replied instead, "we have a similar code within the Jedi Order. We seek knowledge and strength so we can help those who are unable to help themselves."

"That?s it my lad, that?s it exactly," the willowy, gray haired female thumped him on the back enthusiastically in agreement, "I couldn?t have said it better myself. To tell the truth Obi, I was a bit concerned when I heard I was going to be saddled with a helper as young as you are, but you?ve proven yourself to be an excellent assistant as well as a quick learner."

"Thank you for the compliment," Obi-Wan said dryly, then his voice softened with sincerity, "and thank you for allowing me to learn from you, I have gained much from this experience."

"Humph," Trista grunted and bent her gaze to the clipboard she carried, her face coloring slightly with embarrassment at his last statement, "now then, the next patient on the list is a bit of a different case than the others we?ve seen. Some kind of mental aberration has only recently been broken, this someone has spent years living in a fantasy world and then violently thrust into reality. I haven?t met this patient before, so be on your toes Obi, there?s no telling what is going on in this person

23. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Here's some more Calam. Hope you're still reading...

"I think it all started years ago," Kithera began, "back when I was much younger and my grandfather was still alive." Her gaze became distant as if she were watching past events unfold before her. "I loved my Grandfather dearly," she said, her eyes still distant, "he was the only one in my family who took the time to be around me. Mother and Father were always either working or trying to garner favor with some of the higher placed nobles.

Everyone in my family?even the aunts and uncles were almost fanatical about their social standing, always wanting more rank and favor - all except Grandfather. Oh?the stories he would tell and the games we would invent and play with other children that lived nearby."

"His stories?" Kithera?s voice faltered for a moment, and her eyes focused into the present, "when I was lonely or unhappy, which was a lot of the time, his stories would take me to fabulous places?created entire worlds and civilizations?and for a short time I could escape."

The young woman paused for a moment and looked around at the room?s occupants. They all sat or stood quietly, waiting for her to continue.

"When I began to study with the healers," she went on, again seeming to lose her sense of the present, "Grandfather was very happy, he always told me that it was a gift to be able to help others." She gave a wry, humorless laugh and shifted her stance slightly, "but the rest of my family did not see it as such, to them it was a means to get closer to the noble houses, a way to improve on their own positions of power. I had to spend an enormous time studying and practicing, and that severely limited the time that Grandfather and I were able to spend together - but due to the company that I was keeping, I was constantly inundated with requests and near-bribes by my own family, still seeking a quick rise to power through the time that I spent within the noble houses using my gift of healing."

"As time went by," she continued after another brief pause to focus herself, "I became more and more miserable every day. Isolated from my Grandfather, surrounded by my conniving, power hungry family. I turned to the only release from misery that I knew?the stories, and imagined worlds that my Grandfather had given me. I took those stories and embellished them, recreated them until they were my own?until they were my world."

"Then came the day that I received word of my Grandfather?s death at the hands of Lemur, I never found out ?why?, I just knew that Lemur had deprived me of the one person in the world that I loved the most." Kithera?s eyes brimmed with unshed tears, but she continued with her tale in a strong clear voice, "that was when reality ceased to exist for me, and I fully crossed over into the imaginary world I had so painstakingly created for myself."

"I remember everything after that, you know?" she paused, not really expecting any answer, "but not as I should. It?s like I was watching a play on stage or something; I knew what was going on, but removed somehow. I was never exiled as I told you I had been, by the way?I was so caught up in my private world that I consciously wove the illusion to myself that I was, and my sole purpose in life was to avenge my Grandfather."

"When I looked down on the lifeless form of Lemur lying on the tarmac, my carefully crafted reality shattered into splinters. The whole reason for my existence lay before me?dead, and the revenge that I so craved to deliver myself was denied to me."

Kithera paused again, and now the unshed tears brimmed in her eyes and fell down both cheeks, "I never meant to hurt any of you. I didn?t lie when I said that Grandfather had told me stories of the Jedi, and through those stories I came to respect your order. But the urge to avenge my Grandfather was the focus to my reality, and now that reality is broken. My Grandfather is still dead and now so is Lemur; the ashes of the world I created for myself now cover both of them. I stand before you now, rejoined with THE

24. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Yep, I'm still here Gryph and loving every post!

Still worried about Kason though. Poor boy!

25. Jedi Gryph Grin

Sep 25, 1999
    Thanks Calam, here's a bit more, we're already getting close to the end here.

The three Jedi walked through the halls of Neila?s estate accompanied by Rela and Hrruggla, on their way to join the Countess for an informal dinner.

{What do you suppose this is all about?} Hrruggla grunted softly into the companionable silence, {she?s never invited us for anything informal before.}

"It could be any number of things," Obi-Wan replied philosophically, "there are still large numbers of people migrating into the City, maybe she needs some help with keeping the peace."

"Maybe she?s just lonely," Rela added, "I wouldn?t think that there was much of a social life around here while Lemur was alive."

"She probably wants us to help keep a watch over the Congress Members, "Kason said in his quiet voice, "it probably wouldn?t look to good for someone in the new ruling body to get kidnapped or assassinated."

"I think the Countess would probably want us to wait until she tells us herself rather than have us continue with unfounded speculation," Qui-Gon interjected into the conversation, his voice tinged with amusement at his companions' chatter.

Comfortable silence resumed within the group as they made their way to visit the Countess.

Idle conversation continued throughout the simple, yet delicious meal prepared and delivered by Neila?s personal assistants.

When the dishes were cleared from the table and the guests were sipping their after dinner refreshments, Neila directed the topic of conversation onto a new path.

"So now that Kithera?s assignment for the foreseeable future has been decided upon," Neila said slowly as if choosing her words carefully, "there will be no reason for you to testify against her in front of the Congress, which is all that was keeping you here for so long."

"That is correct Countess," Qui-Gon replied, "since we are no longer needed, our time here grows short."

"But what if you WERE still needed here?" she countered, a speculative gleam in her azure eyes, "I could make it worth much to all of you if you chose to stay on here. You could make a fortune selling your services as bodyguards and protectors. With all of the changes taking place around us, you would command fees from the highest bidders."

"It is not a Jedi?s goal to seek monetary gain," Qui-Gon said in his solemn ?teaching? voice, "besides which, we have been away from the temple for a long while, and we have matters to attend to there. We must report on the loss of Master Charsa, and Kason needs the resources available that will begin healing the wounds caused by his loss."

Kason closed his eyes for a moment and the brief flicker of pain that flashed across his face was unmistakable, but he said nothing.

"I understand your obligations," Neila sighed resignedly, "and while it would be nice to have people with your particular gifts around in case of trouble, I have to agree - you must discharge your duty to your order."

Qui-Gon nodded his head wordlessly in acknowledgement.

"But what about the two of you?" Neila turned her attention to Hrruggla and Rela; the embers of speculation in her eyes re-kindled momentarily, "each of you are formidable in your own ways. Would you be interested in some of the opportunities that I suggested?"

"I appreciate the offer," Rela replied, stealing a quick glance at Qui-Gon, "but I too have obligations elsewhere, I made a promise and it?s one that I intend to keep."

{Your offer is more tantalizing than I care to admit,} Hrruggla said slowly, her brown eyes took on a distant look as she considered the possibilities presented, {but there are business contacts that I have been out of touch with for far too long back on Coruscant, and I really need to keep a close eye on most of them. Besides, Rela and the Jedi need a pilot to get them safely home, so by going with them I serve a dual purpose. I too thank you for your generous offer, but I must decline.}

"I half expected these replies," Countess Neila said with the ghost of a smile hovering about h

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.