main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Divix Codec

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WhisperingDeath, Aug 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Okay, I downloaded the divx setup (the icky gain version, but deleted gain :) ). However I can not find the encoder for divx at all, only the playa. Anyone know why this might be and where i can get it?

2. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    First off it is Divx, not Divix, but that's ok.

i think when you deleted gain it probably took then encoder with it. I think gain is built in with it.

But i could be wrong.

3. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    www.divx.com

Click on the link where you get the codec.

4. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    okay, re-installed but still can't find the encoder

I already checked up and down on Divx.com but to no avail, they talk about all kinds of encoding options I can chose from but not where I can find it. I have searched my start and my divx folder but still can not find the freaking encoder ARGH!

Please help, thank you for your time :D

5. ultimateguy

ultimateguy Jedi Master star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    The encoder isn't something you find in the start menu. Open an editing program, such as Premiere. In the list of available codecs, you should be able to select the divx codec. If Gain is not installed, it will give you an error message when trying to encode a video. You also need to make sure that you are encoding as an .avi. This is the only format divx supports.

6. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Oh, thanks man! Ya, I am encoding my 1.88 gig 9 min. movie now, thanx. On the Divx.com site it shows a window for the encoder but I found it in Premiere.

7. Stephan2312

Stephan2312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2002
    Hello,

I've been trying to set up my fanfilm in MSP with Dix5. But when i choose Divx5 in the compression menu, there appears 'error 9486021 (whatever, some kind of strange code)'. Divx4 works fine however. Anyone know how to sole this problem? Already checked the Ulead site, nothing there.

Stephan

EDIT: spelling mistakes

8. CalQdeX

CalQdeX Jedi Master star 2

Mar 29, 2001
  9. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    1.88 gigs for 9 minutes?

mgi was only 5 minutes and was 13gigs :eek:

10. Assassin

Assassin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    Reading this thread prompted me to conduct a little experiment.

I rendered an animation in both DIVX and Sorenson 3. Both codecs were using their default configurations. The Sorenson 3 file was 49.7 megs. The DIVX was 5.59 megs.

That's a phenomenal difference. I asked my sister to view each movie and tell me which one looked better. She said they looked identical. So baically DIVX can achieve the same quality at 11% the filesize.

For those of us who don't want to mess with settings all night, DIVX offers great files sizes and quality.

11. el_director

el_director Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 9, 2001
    But then again, TFN won't let you post your film in Divx.

12. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Yep, that is what PC users have been saying for years but for some reason MAC users hate Divx to the point where they won't dl the newest version. I say stop whining and just dl Divx, it isn't like quicktime owes you a favor.

13. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    The thing about Divx is that it often requires Mac users extract the audio with Divx validator and that process can take several minutes. Also, Divx won't work for me in browser, though it works just fine in the regular quicktime player. It's buggy and a pain in the butt. However, it's a very fine codec and when it finally becomes fully compatible with everything then we can all be happy.

14. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Lay off already, weren't we just discussing Sorenson vs DivX just the other day? All that "mac whining" as you call it was explained and justified.

By the way, running a quality/size test with default settings means absolutely jack squat. A better test would set the same bitrate for both codecs, use keyframes in apropriate intervals and use a temporal and spatial quality comparison graph to contrast the results, not your sisters sharp eye. And that doesn't even take into account the difficulties that an average mac (or PC) user would have in getting the right components to view DivX.

Like I mentioned in that other thread, I won't be the first Mac user to admit DivX has an edge in the quality/size ratio (DivX has been working with MPEG4 for many years, albeit under shady circumstances), but it's not as much as you might think. So to you select few who moan about mac users not succumbing to your wishes and downloading the newest beta codec please stop YOUR whining. There is a reason QuickTime is chosen for TFN Fanfilms and the vast majority of Hollywoods trailers online.

15. Assassin

Assassin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    Couldn't disagree with you more MoffJack. WIthout any hassle what so ever, I was able to get better file size results with DIVX. If you think not having to hassle with settings is not an issue then you must have way too much free time in your life.

In regards to my sisters eye, she represents the target audience....the people who we aim to entertain. If she can't tell the difference then I know when it comes to releasing my project, I don't have to worry about visual quality impairing the viewing experience. Seemed obvious to me! ;)

Sounds like DIVX to me is inline with those Mac adds....who wants to sit around and mess with Sorenson settings when DIVX is ready to go outside of the box. Just install and compress....it's that easy ;)

16. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Assasin, based on the issues that started this thread DivX doesn't sound like it's as easy as it seems. It doesn't come wrapped in a box with a cute little bow.

Based on your test, you can't actually determine that one codec is better than another. You're simply comparing default settings. For all we know, based on your test, the Sorenson codec could actually be better but it was just set to an high bitrate to decrease the draw on the system resources. My point was that one codec's default settings can be vastly different than another codec.

Anyone who's compressed a large fanfilm for the internet knows that you can't just click one button and have it turn out exactly the way you want it. Getting settings right does take skill and a little practice, and changing options to exactly what you need - not the 'out of the box' settings. Now I'm not saying you need to spend weeks or even days to find good settings. Those who have done this a lot can adjust settings quite easily.

But, I guess I do have too much time on my hands. You'll find that people who spend more time on a project will usually turn out a better product. I have a higher standard than my audience so it makes sense I would want to spend the time to make it look right for me. Then I know that if it looks good to me, it will look good to those whose judgement I can respect.

Look, let's agree to disagree. It seems your basic point is that you want a codec in which you use the least amount of effort to get results which the average Jane and John Doe will be satisfied with. Well then I would just submit that I have....different standards than you (and apparently loads of more time as well).

-MoffJake (yes, Jake)

17. Ranka_Jaade

Ranka_Jaade Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2001
    Out of curiosity, I performed a test, divx vs sorenson3(maximum) vs sorenson(medium)

My results:

Divx = 5.6mb
    Sorenson(medium) = 22.3mb
    Sorenson(maximum)= 64.7mb

All three clips were compressed from the same sourcefile, same size/length and audio compression.

Also divx ran the smoothest on my machine with equal quality to sorenson(maximum).

But of course sorenson is more pallatable to the internet community.

7.5mb per minute isn't that bad.

?

18. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Don't worry Moff, I understand what you are saying. :)

Ranka, I did a similar test a while ago where I put MPEG4, Sorenson and On2 side by side and compressed the same footage. But in order to get ANYTHING like an accurate test, you need to compress them all using the same specific bitrate, not just a defualt 'best' setting, since these will all highly subjective. Try it again, with (say) 100 bits per second as the standard and then compare the quality/filesizes. I have no doubt DivX will still be smaller, but not by anything like the amount in your first test.

Assasin, what you must realise is that there simply is no current solution for Mac users to compress their movies using DivX, so until this happens of course you aren't going to turn 'Mac whiners' over to DivX. Get a product that works so I can actually compress a movie using DivX, and then you're in with at least a shout.

TFN prefer Sorenson becuase it's a pretty good compressor, but more importantly it actually works for everyone 'straight out of the box', so the theater doesn't get innundated with mail saying 'why can't I....' Sorenson isn't my favourite codec, but it is by far the easiest for people to view, which is why so much of the motion picture industry use that and not some other codec.

19. el_director

el_director Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 9, 2001
    Hear, hear, Daft! Well said!

20. Stephan2312

Sep 6, 2002
    I'm sorry CalQdeX, I couldn't find anything on that site? Does anyone else know something about Divx5 crashing with MSP?

21. Stephan2312

Sep 6, 2002
    PLEASE help!

Why does Ulead Media Studio 6.5 crash when you select Divx5.02 for compression?

22. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    One thing that I love about DivX is how fast in compiles in Premiere. When I compressed with Cinepack, it was almost always an overnight render for just about everything. Divx can render a 5-minute clip in about 6-7 minutes.

But one thing I hate about DivX is that it's not Premiere friendly. It took about 2 seconds to go back a frame in premiere, so there are drawbacks to each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.