main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG DIY Darth Vader mask

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by wmgan, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmgan

wmgan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2004
    I've been trying to make a Darth Vader helmet and mask using cheap materials -- the mask shouldn't be a problem, because I can just cut, fold and paste black cardboard into the appropriate shape. The problem is the helmet.

I tried making the helmet thus: I constructed a frame using strips of cardboard, then tried covering it with papier-mache. Unfortunately, the whole thing practically fell apart because the frame was too flimsy and sagged under the weight of the papier-mache.

Did anyone hand-make their own Vader (or Boba/Jango Fett or storm/clone-trooper) mask? How did you do it?

2. GetzJedi

GetzJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 21, 2005
    I seriously wouldn't advise you to make your vadar helmet from scratch unless you have the right tools and materials... else you might be featured at this website...

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/room_of_doom.htm

3. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    Haha, some of the costumes on that site are indeed worth a laugh, but some of them are actually quite cool in their own way. =)

All right, you've just encouraged me to complete my costume, photograph myself and send it to this website!! =P

I managed to make the Vader helmet entirely with cardboard, though as you can imagine, it probably looks fairly convincing only at quite a distance away. But it doesn't matter -- it's all in the spirit of fun, anyway, and I don't intend to make an exact replica of the real thing -- as long as people (including non-Star Wars fans) will recognize it as Darth Vader when they see it.

4. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Looks like we're gonna have a few Darth Vaders this time...talk about overkill! At least gives the Jedi's something to battle.

;)

5. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    Really? How many and who else? I guess there's no denying that Vader is the coolest character in the whole saga, hahahahurghhhhhh...

6. InCogNiToFan

InCogNiToFan Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    Just my thought.

Look for a toy helmet. Or those yellow contruction helmet. Cut and modify from there. Toy helmet will be easier to cut and lighter too, compared to contruction helmet.

Add plastic or aluminium sheet for the slanted sides and 'eye brows'.

Spray paint gloss black. Voila!!

Nothing beats homemade stuff if it looks so much better than those on sale commercially.

7. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Toy helmet? Which reminds me..

wmgan - Try asking lukedecop if he can lend out his toy Darth Vader helmet with speaker box. He's also got one without the speaker box. ;)

8. InCogNiToFan

InCogNiToFan Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    I was thinking .. toy helmet like green army helmet.

9. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    My 0.02.

If those fellows in The Philippines can do the Stormtrooper Helmets from Paper Marche, why not do one for Vader too? ;) Before we have fans making helmets replicas, we had other fans making a no. of the helmets using Paper marche and it not only looked good but also able to withstand rain (they use correct thickness and a good layer of Laquer).

It's just a matter of how well it'll turn out depending on your skills. Those who are familiar with Julia aka JediElfQueen will know that with her great Arts Qualification, she was able to do from Jango Fett to Eomer and now to Sauron from scratch with some paper marche, duct tapes, special clay and craft foams etc. With each helmet, the quality even increase many times fold (heck! her Sauron looked very close like the original!) Of course, some else can also do the same if he/she just put his/her mind to it and has the creative hands to do it. ;)

Heehee, I got a Thin Plastic Vader helmet there on top of my wardrobe. Maybe one of these days I should thicken it or something so it'll be strong like the original. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.