main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DJ question........'spoilers'

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Disco_Dark_Jeedai, Jan 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    Who commited suicide? There was the sneak peek a few months ago and it mentioned a suicide. Apparently I missed it or is wasn't there. The only thing that I can think it could be is Teneniel Djo commiting it. All that is mentioned is that she died from poison. Maybe she did it knowing she was going to be killed anyways.

Anyone???

2. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Oct 19, 2001
  3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    SPOILERS

I think I'm right any way

Lah lah, lah lah lah lah, wayyyyyyyyyy, goodbye

:)

4. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Oct 19, 2001
    A definite possiblity. But to me suicide, as we know it, really wouldn't be "Vonglike". He would actually be offering himself as a sacrifice to his Gods.

5. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Lahs son commites suicide

6. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    yeah Lah's son commits suicide basically when he takes the device that Jaina and her friends made onto his skip and turned it on.
    They didn't show it but they said that was what he was going to do.

7. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Oct 19, 2001
    Yes, but I don't see Vong committing "suicide".

8. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    Yes, but I don't see Vong committing "suicide".

I think we're dealing with semantics here. Lah does in fact kill himself. His motives are certainly open to interpretation. To the Vong, it may be a sacrifice. To the humans who still don't understand the Vong belief system, it may be suicide. In the end, no matter how it is classified, Lah is no longer with us.

9. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Oct 19, 2001
    Yes, that is true. However, when it was first mentioned that there would be a suicide in DJ, how many of us even considered it being a Vong? I sure didn't and from what I read here no one else did either. The Vong would view it as a sacrifice of some sort and so would we with what we have learned about them so far. So to classify that as "the" suicide they were talking about really wouldn't be accurate. Yes, it was technically a suicide, but not the way "we" think of them being.

Just was wondering if they changed their minds and decided not to put "our" kind of suicide in a SW novel but walk the fine line between a suicide and self-sacrifice.

10. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    As we've all learned from SW, the truths that we know all are from "a certain point of view."

In the end, the preview was just creating hype. If it had said "sacrifice" instead of "suicied" it would have been obvious that it was to be a Vong. By saying "suicide" it left open the possibility for it to be a character from either side.

Either way, the sneak preview was just a tool to create interest, and ultimatelt sell books. And we all know how true all advertising is, right? ;)

11. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    it was basically a Vong version of Japan's (horrible spelling possible here) Hary-Kary.
    That is basically suicide, considering it involves intentionally falling on a sword that you or another object is hoding. It is designed to preserve a warrior's honor. Kallee Lah was just trying to pull a "Hary-Kary" so his dad wouldn't be shamed even further. I mean his implants were already failing and his son decided he didn't need any more bad luck. So in a way, yes, it was a suicide by our standards.

12. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Just FYI, Japanese ritual suicide is refered to as either seppuku or hari-kiri.

13. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    hari-kiri is what I was referring to, I just didn't know how to spell it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.