Chic, IL DLP at Crown Village 18 in Skokie?

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by slf22233, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slf22233 Jedi Youngling

I've been holding out on purchasing ROTS tix hoping that I'd be able to see it with digital projection at the Crown Village 18 in Skokie. However, I don't see any tickets on sale on Fandango and can't seem to get through to a human being when I call their number. Does anyone have information on this? Thanks!
  2. Hazmatt Jedi Padawan

star 4
    As far as I know, the AMC River East 21 is the only place in the city that is digital. I could be wrong, but that's what I have heard.

I think we have about 50 tickets left. You're more than welcome to join us.
  3. Anime_Nut Jedi Youngling

Loew's Streets of Woodfield started selling DLP tickets yesterday. Still tickets left for the 12:01 am screening.

Relax, I'm quite sure Skokie will get a digital print, as will ALL of the DLP screens in the Chicagoland area. Yeah, all 5 of them... (looks at California's 30+ DLP screens and whimpers).

If you want to be absolutely sure, ask the manager how long HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE (or whatever film will be screened in DLP theaters these next few weeks) has their DLP screen booked for. If they don't know, then you might wanna consider River East or Streets of Woodfield as a back-up.

Man, I miss the days when AMC South Barrington 30 had a DLP projector. That auditorium seats more than twice the number of people that can fit into either River East's or Streets of Woodfield's DLP auditoriums.

Cheers,
    Anime Nut
  4. Vicfett Jedi Youngling

I went there today to see if the tickets that they are selling is for a digital presentation of the film, the girl at the counter told me that it is not. I know that they have digital projection at the theater, but maybe they are waiting to start selling tickets to the digital version. If anything new arises I will let you know.
  5. Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think I posted this somewhere beofore...but...

One of the problems theaters have with getting DLP prints, using DLP screens, and finally putting DLP's on the "good screen" (usually meaning big) is the screw-job they get from the distributors.
    As explained to me and Caroline by AMC's general manager, the distributors force the theaters into an 8-week contract that mandates that whatever screen the DLP movie is shown in, must remain on that screen for the duration of the 8-weeks (guess who came up with that concept back in 99). Anyway, if every movie were awesome and they could sell out the single theater for every show for 8-weeks like RotS and Batman very well could do it'd be no problem. But, if you put Catwoman II DLP in a 500 seat DLP auditorium...even though it's bound to flop...it stays on that screen...even if Batman is coming out in 2 weeks. And since many of the DLP films they get are Pixar movies and the like, they put the DLP print on a medium sized screen and a 35mm print on the Big-azz screen (which they can change out if it's a bomb) and they only lose the proceeds on the medium screen.

So, thanks to greedy distributors they can't put the good projectors on the biggest screen...even in a big city like Chicago...especially in a Mega-Plex. It may have something to do with making it worth the distributors time to produce the digital print at all, guessing it's tons more expensive to make...but I'd still guess it's more greed than necessity.

Bosh

"Multiplexes killed the blockbuster"
  6. Anime_Nut Jedi Youngling

Man, Bosh's post just makes me miss South Barrington's DLP screen even more. If I remember correctly, it moved between the center 4 auditoriums (2 largest and 2 second-largest) for a little while before settling in Theater 17. Although this is slightly smaller than 15 and 16, it's still tons bigger (both in screen size and audience capacity) than ANY auditorium at River East or Streets of Woodfield. I've never been to Skokie's DLP screen or the new one in Peoria, but I'm sure they're nothing to shout about either.

Does anybody know the true story about how and why South Barrington lost their DLP projector?

Cheers,
    Anime Nut
  7. Darth_Vasius Jedi Youngling

Is IMAX considered DLP? Regal cinemas in Buffalo Grove is showing an IMAX version (not 3D). Talk to YodaMax for details.
  8. Anime_Nut Jedi Youngling

A true IMAX film is substantially superior to DLP in regards to resolution and detail. Unfortunately, the IMAX screenings for ROTS are just big-screen blow-ups of the 35mm print, which does NOT look very good.

To answer your question, Darth V, there are no IMAX DLP projectors. DLP has a long way to go before it can pull that off.
  9. darthgoat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    We saw Hitchhiker's Guide on Crown's DLP last night and it was GORGEOUS!
  10. Anime_Nut Jedi Youngling

Ooh, can you tell me if the SERENITY trailer was attached to HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE? I'm seeing the latter either way, but I'd sure love me some big-screen FIREFLY action to go with it.
  11. darthgoat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It wasn't at Crown Village. The Serenity trailer is up online and man does it look good.
  12. Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    What showing did you go to cause I went to HHG at crown also last night.
  13. Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan

star 4
    If anyone didn't catch it in the other thread...the burbs suck.

Bosh

"I'm a child of the Suburbs....Ok, I was a twenty-something in the Suburbs too....they suck."
  14. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
    We went to the 9.40 showing...when were you there? It's pretty much the only theater we go to.
  15. emdub Jedi Youngling

Whoa weird, I was at the HGttG 9:40 showing also. I was the dude with the 5 other people. I wonder if I sat next to any of you.

... weird. Oh well, see ya in 17 days!

matt maul.
  16. Anime_Nut Jedi Youngling

Since nobody else has posted this, I guess I'll be the first.

Crown Village 18 has confirmed DLP screenings of ROTS. You can buy tickets for the midnight DLP show on Fandango right now.

That's one more digital option for us Chicagoans. Personally, I'll stick with Streets of Woodfield and River East. However, if this makes it easier (or finally possible) for some people here to see ROTS the way it's truly meant to be seen, I'm all for it.

Never forget that the non-digital audiences saw Anakin with a limp, flaccid right hand at the end of AOTC, while those of us in DLP theaters saw his hand... rise a few inches.

I feel dirty now.
  17. DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan

star 4
    why feel dirty, anime? it's just his hand...

ooooh. right. now i get it.
  18. Vicfett Jedi Youngling

I just purchased my tickets today for the 6:30 showing of ROTS in DLP. They have the movie there in both film and digital formats. From what I know the tickets for both digital and film versions of the movie went on sale Sunday. Get your tickets when you can.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.