main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN DLP IS COMING TO CARMIKE'S THOROUGHBRED20!!!

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Kir Kanos, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    I e-mailed Carmike about getting a DLP theater at the Thoroughbred 20 & here is there reply:

"Dear Scott

We appreciate your interest in viewing movies in the digital format and we are pleased to inform you that the Thoroughbred 20 is currently being prepared for the installation of these digital projectors in selected auditoriums as we communicate.

The plan will be to eventually convert all auditoriums to digital projectors as the industry makes the transition from film to digital content. :eek:

We are very thankful that you continue to enjoy movies in the ?theatre? environment and we continue to work hard in providing our customers the best presentation possible.

You should see several of our auditoriums presenting the Summer Big Hits in digital format within the next 45 days.=D=

Hope to see you at the movies!"

Sincerely,

Fred Van Noy

Sr. V.P

Needles to say, the reply was beyond what I expected. [face_dancing] I had no idea that work was already underway. I'm looking forward to FINALLY seeing Star Wars on a large format DLP screen (in 3-D for 30th Anniversary)

2. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Awesome! It's about time. I'm sure it is not a cheap renovation, so we can be sure the not all local theatres will follow suit. You know, all it takes is a simple letter, and we find out so much..

3. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    So Scott, how long you give it until it's truly completed? ;)

4. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Very cool. :cool:

5. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999

If money is at stake for their summer movie blockbuster season, then it will be < 45 days. [face_money_eyes]

Its amazing what people can accomplish when there is money on the line.

6. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Um,..it might be helpful if you told us what DLP means.

7. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    DLP means Digital Light Processing. Its basically Hi-Definition for theaters. The advantages to this type of projection is that not only is the image quality phenominal & contrast optimum, but the 250th showing will look just as good as the first. No more film breaking in the middle of the movie or choppy scenes or fuzziness due to degradation of the film stock. I have experienced this a few times at the Thoroughbred & have been refunded the cost of the ticket price twice. It increases the chance of having a good theater experience every time. And if people have a good theater experience & a better one than what they can view on their televisions at home, they will probably come back again & again. No, it won't keep people from talking or their cell phones from ringing or kids from kicking your seat, or insure that you will never have stale popcorn, but it will at least hopefully greatly diminish the chances for equipment failure.

They have to change out both the projectors as well as the movie screens by installing special reflective silver screens made just for DLP. Not only is it very expensive on the front end, but if there are no digital movies playing a DLP theater will sit empty. This is the main reason that Carmike turned down the opportunity in 2002 when Dream Works offered to help fund the installment of a DLP theater at the Thoroughbred20. However, with more digital movies being produced each year, this should only be an infrequent occurence.

8. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    According to www.dlp.com, there are currently six movies playing in DLP in the U.S. and another opens this week. At that rate, they shouldn't have any trouble. And they could always just hold a movie a little longer than normal if there would be a lag.

And it really makes a difference on animated films where there is less fine detail so scratches are more apparent.

9. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    You think we can lobby to the theater and Lucasfilm to replay ROTS, or even all three prequels?

10. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of re-release for the 30th Anniversary in 2007. Maybe a SW marathon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.