main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit DNT - 1st time read - Immediate Issues

Discussion in 'Literature' started by OutsiderJediSam, Oct 15, 2017.

1. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    TUQ, page 42....Luke actually says this to Han, "Sometimes I wonder if I still know you, Han." Wow, just wow, that seems so harsh for Luke to say to Han considering the crap Luke and his Jedi are pulling right now.

And I'm a little fuzzy on timeline of release of all this. TPM was released in early 1999 right? These books were released in late 1999? So, in the TPM we see that R2-D2 (R2 series) exists 32 BBY. Yet, this trilogy says the R2 series was made by the Empire which was created by Palpatine sometime after 19 BBY. How is this? Is this ever resolved in this trilogy because it's infuriating me. If it isn't, how did this make it past control and into print?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The idea seems to be that the Empire falsely take credit for the design:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/R2-series_astromech_droid

A combination of excellent design, high-quality marketing, and good timing made this astromech droid one of the most sought after droids in history, and one of the few vintage astromech series still in active production decades after it was first designed, including the prototype R2-0. The line was so successful that the Galactic Empire would later take credit for the design.

The books were published in 2005.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017

okay, that at least gives it some believability then, so now I don't have to roll my eyes every time it's brought up

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    She take after her father, always losing her lightsabre
    [​IMG]

OutsiderJediSam likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    don't blame me, it said that nothing happened and when I looked. Nothing had happened

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    don't blame me, it said that nothing happened and when I looked. Nothing had happened

7. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    now this series is really starting to get to me.....

1) I know this is a problem with all Star Wars books and a hero stories in general...the hero can't be awesome until the end so you have to make them weak/etc., but the fact that Luke Skywalker by this point in time, Jedi Master of the whole order, would be bested by Alema Rar and UnuThul, young Jedi who were a part of the NJO, that's AFTER Luke's first class that are already Masters too, and Raynar never even achieved knight status, it's absolutely ridiculous!!!

2) I'm really getting tired of the whole Dark Nest can do things right in front of the Colony and they totally ignore it...that's getting real old and we're only 1/3 of the way in the 2nd book of a trilogy

3) and Luke is just letting it go that the Colony acts this way......I'd be done with them, let the Alliance do what they must if the Colony wants to be this uncompromising

BookExogorth likes this.
  8. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    edit is gone so have to do new post, sorry

I'm to where the GFFA has arrested Leia and Saba.....wth????

at the end of TUF, the GFFA was the good guys govt., and I know there were issues b/t them and the Jedi in TJK, but now, they're suddenly totally just the Empire redux???? That's just insanely stupid!!!!

Guess we gotta have a bad govt entity though? It wouldn't be Star Wars w/o it!!! I think that's a tired story for this universe though. And it makes no sense that it's the GFFA suddenly!!!

I mean there's this Bothan who even talks just like an Imperial, "You Jedi are lower than skalworms!" Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, "You Jedi scum." And he's mad bc the Jedi apparently stopped a Bothan vessel from trying to chase down Zonama Sekot to destroy it bc of that Bothan death claim they made on the Vong. I'm pretty sure that had to be against orders so they were definitely in the wrong and have no one to blame but themselves. But I guess he just doesn't care.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And he 'beat the Thrawn simulator'

[​IMG]

OutsiderJediSam likes this.
  10. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017

gosh, they've said it 5x now I think, maybe 10, like it's the best thing ever even while also pointing out he's never been in real combat!!!!

and when did Gavin Darklighter become an absolutely pansy stooge for the govt????

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The Denning Bozo-wave weapon.

12. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    Jedi Ben....well I definitely now see what the whole issue with this series is....it is just going off the rails and is spiraling into trash.....it might just be blacklisted by me too

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And you haven't yet hit The Swarm War or LOTF: Betrayal.....

14. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    and I thought I had problems with the NJO, but at least, the good guys were the good guys, just a little too pacifist at times and star gazing when to me, the enemy was obviously evil and needed to be stopped

now everyone is just stupid, or suddenly evil, it's like a crappy bizzarro world!!!!

SWpants likes this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think you should finish the trilogy, but consider if you really want to read LOTF or not. Might be better to just skip straight to the Legacy comics instead.

Or if you want the barebones of LOTF, then only read Betrayal, Sacrifice, and Invincible (the first, middle, and last books of that series).

Dr. Steve Brule and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017

okay, I might do that, or just read the wookiepedia summaries...I'm just not sure I can stomach all of this much longer....it was noble goal, I just wanted more Star Wars with my favorite characters...too bad they ruined them just like every one told me they did, not that I didn't believe you all, I just thought it'd be better to read it than to stop...turns out, I'm wrong.....

ChrisLyne likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Just reading Betrayal, Sacrifice, and Invincible might be best... but still expect Jacen to act weird, Luke to struggle with compassion, and the Galactic Alliance to make stupid decisions. If you go-in expecting those 3 things, then maybe those 3 books will surpass your low expectations.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I've found an AU version of DNT that works so much better.
    Revamp the story from the beginning and tie in stuff from LOTF and FOTJ and it makes for an awesome story.

19. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    jw, I thought I saw a lot of love for Denning. am I misremembering that?

1) SbS - stupid Mission to Myrkr and he killed off Anakin Skywalker
    2) DNT - this crap sucks
    3) he writes in LOTF and FOTJ, right? And most all people hate both, right?

who would like this guy's SW material???

btw - look at me, I'm Raynar Thul, as a Jedi teen, not even a Knight yet, I go on a stupid mission, almost get killed, escape and crash getting burned and barely surviving, don't finish my Jedi training, but I join a group of bugs and become the strongest Jedi ever!!!!! I can even just move turbolaser shots out of the way of my ship and come take over your big one!!!!

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Tatooine Ghost is the most popular Denning novel. Enough people liked Star By Star that it may have contributed to Denning's early popularity, as well.

21. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017

it's been awhile since I read that one, so Idr how good it was/wasn't...

22. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, I remember enjoying Star By Star when it came out (even if the idea of sending the teen Jedi on a potential suicide mission seems crazy looking back as an adult). But with SbS and TG Denning was working within the confines of a set narrative. With DN and beyond he had a lot more free reign, that's where it went down hill.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It was pretty damn good but Denning never managed to match it again, which was a pity.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Denning's books were readable. Not a chore to get through like COTJ, POT or the Aftermath books but the content does leave a bit (lot) to be desired imo.

25. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    omg, I was just looking at my earlier post and I can't believe I put Anakin Skywalker instead of Anakin Solo, what an idiot am I!!!!

also, being as this was a board I started, mostly to vent my thoughts as I read this series, I just feel like giving my thoughts after finishing TUQ.....

Recap of TJK: I thought it was Jekyll/Hyde - Plot/Crazy crap

TUQ doubles down on the crazy and the plot just stops.......

Jaina/Zekk still just as joined, barely in book, no progress on this issue...wth????
    Cal and GFFR - gone full retard and basically like I said earlier, Empire redux......wth????
    Jacen is basically right on his way to the dark side.....was the plan to make him a Sith Lord already in place at this point, jw???
    Raynar/UnuThul is just ludicrous from the fact he just ignores any reasonable explanation to being totally overpowered towards other Jedi, it's a infuriating plot device to drag out the story.....he just is able to deflect turbolasers from a Star Detroyer shooting at his ship in space (another great tactic no Jedi/dark sider has ever used that I'm aware of) and then take over the Star Destroyer with other Jedi on it!!!
    Luke is still underpowered, even in the final fight he barely survives and I guess Lomi Po is just a bad momma/better than Luke and she can make herself invisible even to him the Jedi Master just bc of doubt???......man, I bet all the other dark Jedi would have loved that power!!!!, too bad it just got thought up now......

this book just totally crapped all over any worthwhile set up from TJK....it was really pointless as a lot of 2nd entries are in a trilogy...in other words, written just for $$$$, if it was always about making there be a war b/t the Chiss and Killiks with the GFFA/Jedi in the middle, that could have easily been done with the events of the 1st book, no need for this entry!!!! other than to show us the crap above which just ruined the book....jw if anybody liked TUQ???

26. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    about Luke's speech to the Jedi...

"If you can't place the good of the order above all else and follow the direction chosen by your superiors, I'm asking you to leave. If you have other duties or loyalties that come before the order, I'm asking you to leave. If you cannot be a Jedi knight first, I'm asking you to not be a Jedi knight at all."

I am quite okay with the first sentence. It's the basic military doctrine of obeying commanding officers. H/e, to me, the other 2 sentences bother me. Luke's order doesn't hold to the no marriage/family rules. So, is he asking for Leia to be more loyal to the Jedi than Han or her children? Is Luke going to choose the Jedi above Mara/Ben's needs? Even the military let's people free if necessary for family issues. Maybe Luke's will too, but all we have now are those sentences and they seem to indicate maybe not. If not, I'd be real upset, and guess I'd have to leave the Order. Am I reading too much at this point?