main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Do all force users that die staying loyal to the light side become a ghost?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by NakkyGraphics, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Had Boba Fett's neck been broken when he slammed into the sail barge, so would have the stuntman's who played him. ;)

And unlike all the other victims Boba Fett fell in with full "Mando gear". Of course I couldn't exclude the possibility that he was killed making his way out - by falling debris of the sailing barge that had just exploded...

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    How so? His storyline (and fate) was going to be resolved within the series, alas between AotC and RotS. It was something perfectly compatible with the movies, hence why he did it.

My point is that I'm not going to argue the completely subjective claim of "there is a close up of his face as we see the life drain out of him".

Originally, until Lucas decided that he didn't die there and then. Again, his survival and activity between AotC and RotS is compatible with what we see in the movies.

The characters don't save the day. They are external to the main story.

Not following and I won't try to.

No, the movie doesn't imply that he discovered it all by himself.

Which is still true to what's stated in RotS.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. You don't know what happens between the movies, so as long as it doesn't contradict what's on screen, it's perfectly acceptable. Maul came and went between AotC and RotS. That's it. It's all compatible.

3. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Slicer87 and Alexrd

I invoke George Lucas canon (from Wikipedia "Star Wars Canon"):

G-canon was George Lucas canon: Considered absolute canon, it included Episodes I–VI (the released films at that time), and any statements by George Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public). Elements originating with Lucas in the scripts, filmed deleted scenes, film novelizations, reference books, radio plays, and other primary sources were also G-canon when not in contradiction with the released films. G-canon overrided the lower levels of canon when there was a contradiction.

T-canon was Television canon:[7] referred to the canon level comprising only the animated film Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the two television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. Its precedence over C-Level canon was confirmed by Chee.[8]

The TPM screenplay clearly stated that Darth Maul "fell to his death" into a melting pit on Naboo. That extra information doesn't contradict what we all saw (and assuredly assumed at the time) in the movie, thus it's G-canon.

Next comes T-canon (wouldn't be surprised if the resurrection of Darth Maul was the major reason not to imbed T-canon in G-canon) according to which Darth Maul did not die on Naboo.

According to that methodology (sanctioned by George Lucas) the death of Darth Maul outranks his ressurection in TCW.

Slicer87 likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Though Lucas sanctioned things, Lucas himself had final say. If he considered the show equal to his films, then no matter what was established by Roffman, it would be official.

La Calavera likes this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The fact that you're citing Wikipedia aside, that was the ranking system used by Licensing and the Holocron during the old EU days. To George, only the movies (and later on TCW as well) are canon.

La Calavera and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    As a version of the mission to Circapous seems to be canon and the original novel seems to have large input by GL, i wonder if Force Ghosts have the abbility to possess other people and if that part of the story (Obi Wans possession of Luke during the Vader Duell) happened in canon.

7. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    But canon doesn't mean continuity as many mistaken it to mean. Maul did die in TPM, he was killed beyond doubt. Lucas has stated he doesn't care much about continuity or if his stories badly contradict each other. Plus he did consider the EU canon, just that it was a different continuity from his continuity, as far as I know, he has not stated if the TCW is a direct continuity of the films or not, he has simply said they are the same officially level which doesn't indicate that they are a single continuity. In fact when TCW was created it was originally a continuation of the mircoseries until he decided to retcon.

It shows how your argument fails, you claim TCW is the same continuity while saying it is a different continuity at the same time. Those spinoffs you citied follow a similar but still distinct and separate continuity just as TCW does. Spinoff juncture off from a certain point from the parent continuity and grows into a relate but independent continuity, much like a plant sapling budding off from a parent plant, they are related but still different. In fact the old microseries is much closer to the PT films than TCW ever was, and the microseries still deviated quite a bit.

I would figure Boba would have been injured by slamming into the barge, probably broke his arm. The sarlac must be able to quickly paralyze its victims to keep them from injuring it, most likely from secreting a paralyzing agent that would soak though the skin, making Boba's weapons worthless without motor ability. Plus his armor would slow down digestion, prolonging his suffering. Plus the sarlac has a closing beak and a long tube to fight through back out. Fett escaping is highly unlikely, goes against what the film presents, is further unlikey with the CGI beak, and is just fan wishing.

8. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    We simply don't know enough about the Sarlacc's intestines to arrive at solid conclusions, but there is a high probability it got injured when Jabba's sailing barge blew. And I can assure you that I've seen the Sarlacc plenty of times, but most of these it did not have a beak...:p

[​IMG]

9. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    Well here is the Original vs special edition versions of the sarlaac.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally I think the addition of the beak would make escape much more difficult. But this is a sidetrack and probably deserves its own thread.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    'Canon' doesn't mean 'continuity', but it implies at least one.

Until it was decided by the person who created the character that he didn't die from his bisection.

No, he never said that. And no, there's no need to bring a joke out of context ("continuity is for whimps") as evidence of anything other than arguing over minutae shouldn't get in the way of telling a story.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    So why should you care?

I didn't say it was a different continuity. I said that TCW is in continuity to the films. Just because it features concepts not included in the films, doesn't make it not in continuity. Of those spin offs that I listed, only "Highlander" and "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" have different continuities. Both have television shows that connect loosely to the feature films, but also have spin offs that tie in to the shows that they came from. But being a spin off doesn't mean that it is a different continuity for any show. "Highlander The Series" uses the events of the first film as the basis for the show, and it deviates a little. But it is still considered in continuity to the first film. Likewise, "Star Trek: The Next Generation" is in continuity to "Star Trek", because it features the same characters and universe. It's continuity is derived from the original show and the first six films. TCW and "Rebels" falls in that category.

Right. In "Star Trek", Klingons were depicted as looking mostly human. In the first film, they're depicted looking more alien and that continued for remainder. In the "Deep Space Nine" episode, "Trials And Tribble-ations", Worf is asked why Klingons looked different in the mid 23rd century and he said it was something too embarrassing to talk about. In "Star Trek: Enterprise", it is finally explained in "Affliction" that the Klingons of the 22nd century attempted to create a virus using Augment human DNA and the result was the alterations to the Klingon race. It would take years to undo the damage. Continuity in fiction means a consistency of characteristics, plots, objects, places and events. In this case, the stories line up to each other.

In TCW, the consistencies are things like Anakin is still a Jedi who fought in the wars. We see him as he is at the start of ROTS, before his fight with Dooku. But also hints of his anger that is in both AOTC and ROTS. An inconsistency would be Anakin never having temper issues in TCW and acting more like Obi-wan.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    Anakin is still a Jedi who fought in the clone wars in both stories, but that is where the similarities end for him.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Because the series was cancelled and his storyline was unfortunately left unfinished.

AshiusX likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Let me help you all out here:

1. Canon pre-Disney:

Films and TV

2. Canon post-Disney:

Everything published post-Disney plus films and TV.

3. Continuity:

Not perfect pre- or post-Disney.

Let's stay on topic of light-side user Force ghosts and steer clear of canon arguments.

Slicer87 likes this.