main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Do Battle Droids Dream of Electric Nerfs?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth_Zandalor, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    While I am no fan of the battle droid "humor", there is the question of Battle Droid identity and its role in the show.

One thing that I am pretty sure everyone, critical or otherwise, can agree on, is that in terms of overall visual design, Star Wars is unparalleled. The visual style is instantly recognizable to anybody who has even a passing knowledge of the franchise. And what I think is the cleverest example of this is how, despite the wide gap between designs of the OT and the Prequels, you can still draw comparisons between the two by altering the slightest thing.

Take a Venator for example. With the Republic Crimson emblazoned across it, it has that sense of elegance and sleekness typified by the prequel designs. But once you strip it of its colors, the ship is suddenly Imperial all the way, with that soulless gunmetal grey exterior. By removing a single detail, everything changes.

So what does this have to do with Battle Droids? Well, I think we are seeing a reversal situation here. In The Phantom Menace, and Attack of the Clones especially, the Battle Droids had no markings or insignia. They were empty shells, built only for combat.

But when the Clone Wars gets into full swing, the CIS colors begin cropping up, with their blue symbol being plastered over their tanks, specialized droids getting colors like green camo or black emergency patterns. It gives the CIS much more of an identity, at least visually.

If removing the color can strip a ship of its character, can't it be argued that applying color will give something as empty as a droid character? Even if they don't speak, the visual representation that "hey, these guys are unified, they are organized, and they are proud of it" speaks volumes to how important character design is in conveying tone.

So, do you think that the use of CIS coloration on the droids helps enhance their character beyond just cannon fodder? Or am I just talking out of my ass?

Esg, Garth Maul and DM99 like this.
  2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I honestly hadn't noticed. On the larger topic of recognizing SW designs and OT vs PT designs, one thing I love about TCW is its use of environments that feel much more OT than the PT did. Whenever I see the walls that look just like the walls in the Death Star I get a little tingle.

Paparazzo likes this.
  3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Forrest Gump time, "...I think maybe it's both. Maybe both are happening at the same time.”:p

Jokes aside, I think the color adds personalization... Its really just a mimic/gimmick of what they did with clones and their helmet markings. It makes them all easier to identify with and relate to... for clone or clanker.

4. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what you're gonna get

[​IMG]

i like white chocolate.

Paparazzo likes this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

There were three types of marked battle droids, yellow for commander, red for security and blue for pilot/other. So there. :p

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    i was just about to say that

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
  8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    And now we have droids being named

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    If swords are often named in legends, why can't a glorified military robot? If a toaster can sack Rome Onderon, then perhaps it has earned a name.

Though in seriousness I do find it odd that a droid is being given a name. I am hoping that it is just a name derived from a serial number like how R2 is "Artoo." The only thing I can think of is KAL-9E. It's not an exact match, but if you say "Kal nine ee" fast enough it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to corrupt it into Kalani as it rolls off the tongue easier.

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Yeah, General Grievous has a name.

11. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    But Grievous isn't a robot, he's a cyborg.

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Jumping the shark?

I prefer droid-moron.;)

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Glorified military robot, glorified military cyborg, seems like a technical difference to me.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  14. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He had it as a name beforehand...

15. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So did the droid: Samsung Scrap Pile.

16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

17. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I haven't had my coffee yet. :p

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Darth_Zandalor: You know what would be a real headache out of all this? If Lucas were to get it into his head to stick an HRD in the show. Now that they've got Xizor clones and Blacksun, I've been getting worried...

And then Aurra Sing will find out she's a droid.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.