main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do chistians see Atheist as bad people?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Paranorina, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkside_Spirit

Darkside_Spirit Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2001
    Perhaps they're content with not knowing much about it. And I can see the reason for that. Isn't it better to accept that you can't know what the truth is, than to invent a false one?

Regarding the original title of this thread, George Bush recently mentioned lots of different religions and then added: "...and good people of no faith at all." That shows that he considers the nonreligious to be bad by default, since it's necessary to add "good" in front of his reference to them, but such is unnecessary for his list of religions.

2. Palpazzar

Palpazzar Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Reading a bit into President Bush's statment don't you think?

But as to truth, how can anyone know that truth is unknowable if they don't seek it out?

3. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    do you have the exact quote that Bush said?

it sounds like reading into it but i'd rather have the whole quote before saying so

4. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    It wouldn't surprise me he said that as this is what his father has said in the past:

When George Bush was campaigning for the presidency, as incumbent vice president, one of his stops was in Chicago, Illinois, on August 27, 1987. At O'Hare Airport he held a formal outdoor news conference. There Robert I. Sherman, a reporter for the American Atheist news journal, fully accredited by the state of Illinois and by invitation a participating member of the press corps covering the national candidates had the following exchange with then Vice President Bush.

Sherman: What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are atheists?

Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in god is important to me.

Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Sherman (somewhat taken aback): Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?

Bush: Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.

5. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Oh....Bush SR. I was racking my brain trying to figure out when Dubya said that!

6. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    I'm sure George W. Bush is just as tolerant of other people as Clinton was (publicly inclusive, privately perhaps something else).

7. Darkside_Spirit

Sep 9, 2001
    Paine, one of the greatest patriots ever, must have been turning in his grave when Bush Snr. said that. He wasn't an atheist, but I doubt that Bush Snr. was very positive towards deists either.

Regarding the Bush quote, I don't have it to hand, though I remember it well. I'll endeavour to search out a link.

8. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    I would just like to point out that in the first post of the "Athiest and Agnostic Sanctuary Thread" the creator claims that it's a way for the small minority, who are being overwhelmed by religious people (esp. Christians) to band together. And look, it's the biggest thread in here. I would hardly call that a minority! Obviously there are a lot of you here! Not that I have a problem with that, but stop moaning and groaning about the huge overwhelming population of Christians on this board when it's obvious you outnumber us 3 to 1!

And, as a side note, I guarantee that if someone tried to set up a "Christian Sanctuary thread" or a "Muslim Sanctuary thread" we'd be blasted out of the water.

Ahem. Rant over. TJMO

9. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Wouldn't bother me. There is one already in Star Wars Miscellaneous called the Christian/ Star Wars Fans thread.

10. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    If there were a thread that said Christians Only, i would respect it. I would read it, if i had a problem with something i would PM someone, but i wouldn't get into the discussion. Don't assume you know how a group of people will act.

11. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    Well, Ender mentioned the Christian Star Wars Fans thread in the SW Miscellanious board. I am guessing how you would react by how everyone reacted on that board, which was basically "You're excluding me! This isn't fair! How dare you people with something in common band together!" Now, I didn't personally witness anyone acting that way toward the Athiest Agnostic thread, but you never know.

12. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
  13. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Actually, I just wondered why you all were allowed to mock us, when we would never get away with sitting around talking about how foolish athiets and agnostics were. That's insulting, and I haven't seen any Christians on these boards do that, except for maybe TFU. :p

I never went in and complained that you guys were being excluding though. I don't mind the fact that you guys want to come together and talk about stuff, but it's when you start the Christian-bashing that I get a little annoyed. No one likes to be "bashed", so to speak.

14. Darkside_Spirit

Sep 9, 2001
    Look at The Gatherer's poll in Census. A hair's breadth from an overall majority (49%) register as Christian.

15. Grand_Moff_Monkey

Grand_Moff_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    You're supposed to be reading, Darkside! The pile will only keep on growing.

16. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
  17. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "Actually, I just wondered why you all were allowed to mock us, when we would never get away with sitting around talking about how foolish athiets and agnostics were. That's insulting, and I haven't seen any Christians on these boards do that, except for maybe TFU."

I'd say TFU, Master Ben, InnocentIII and yourself are the most vocal Christians on the JC. Of course now, with TFU banned, InnocentIII MIA, and Ben having quieted down, you're pretty much it. ;)

18. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    :D And I'm proud of it. :D

But I don't insult others for what they believe. ;) I don't mock. I hate mockery.

19. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    Yes, but there's a difference between being vocal for your own religion and making fun of someone else's. Don't get me wrong, one can always be TOO vocal, but making fun of anyone or anything (unless they're a complete dork and deserve it...I mean...um... ;) ) is inexcusable.

20. Palpazzar

Palpazzar Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm insulted, Geist!

At least Ender would have the courtesy to include me in his list of misguided crazies :)

21. IellaWessiriNRI

IellaWessiriNRI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2001
    Hey, and what about me? ;)

j/k... although I'm sure I would be on cydonia's list :)

22. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    D'oh! By the time I remembered you both, it was too late to edit.

23. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I'm a wacko Christian also, but I'm not much of a debater so my comments are few and far between (esp compared to Jedi_Master201 & Grand_Moff_Monkey).
    As long as I'm drawing attention to myself, I would like to comment on something Ender posted recently in the Athiest Sanctuary (which I didn't wish to disturb for the reasons mentioned here): The fruit wasn't from the tree of knowledge, but the tree of knowledge of good & evil. In other words - eating it resulted in a loss of innocence.

24. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    I noticed that too. There's a huge difference.

25. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    No atheists are not bad people. Some of them will get to heaven long before the so-called christians. Think of atheists as just a bit uninformed and new territory to conquer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.