main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do current events affect your gaming habits?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by TheWampas1138, Oct 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    THe pulling of the Spider-Man helicopter scene was totally justified, no doubt about that. But Anthrax on the radio, and maybe the changing of a game (it depends) is sometimes not needed.

2. Dire_Wolf

Dire_Wolf Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    But some things were just getting assinine. I used to frequent a board for Red Alert 2. And after 9/11 some people were say how the game should be changed because it have the twin towers in it, or the first missions you take out the pentagon. I'm for me thats taking crap to far.

I dont know I just hate the super politacly correct time we live in. What got to me was what happened to Bill Mahr. He's shows name was "politiacly incorrect" and he was stating his oppinion, and it killed his show. To me the mob mentality is the real problem.

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I am affected, only slightly. I was playing Red Alert 2 on 9/10 and I delighted at destroying both the Pentagon in Soviet Mission 1 and the WTC in Soviet Mission 3. When I played again, a month or so later, I destroyed the Pentagon because it was a mission objective, but I left the WTC alone. I also stopped attempting to take a 747 off on the helicopter pad on the top of the WTC in Microsoft Flight Simulator, which always ended with me crashing. However, I was just recently playing MOHAA during the height of the sniper crisis, and I didn't hesitate to snipe. If I were playing GTA3, I would probably think twice about it though.

It's interesting, jp-30, that you mentioned games based on more recent conflicts than WW2, such as Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq. You are no doubt aware of the upcoming Black Hawk Down game, which, of course, is based on the conflict in Solamia in 1993. What are your thoughts on that?

4. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    I dont know I just hate the super politacly correct time we live in. What got to me was what happened to Bill Mahr. He's shows name was "politiacly incorrect" and he was stating his oppinion, and it killed his show. To me the mob mentality is the real problem.

That's too true. I was totally appalled when Maher was cancelled. It was so nice to see his words horribly twisted to make it seem like he said something entirely different than what was actually said. It was a total B.S. situation.

5. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    "Do you have any surviving grandparents who fought in WW2? Have they ever seen the WW2 games you play. "

I have a grandfather who flew for the Canadian Royal Air Force in WWII..

Showed him that Jane's WWII flight simulator (i forget the name of it, now! ARgh!)

His reaction was actually kind of funny: He paid no attention at all to mission objectives OR even enemy planes.. He just flew around, saying "ha, this is neat."

I think that the people who would probably have more pronounced reactions to videogames would be men who served more in the ground forces, where combat was up-close and personal..

Air combat, i think, detaches a person from the actual brutality of war..

And i'm also annoyed by the PC times that we live in..

I got mad when they pulled the Spider-man WTC add.. Pulling things like that, altering our lives when not necessary, only tells the terrorists that they won..

You should grieve for the dead, no doubts there, but you should continue living your life.. Show the terrorists that they DIDN'T have an affect on you...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.