main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do droids have feelings?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by captainnorth, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainnorth

captainnorth Jedi Master star 1

May 22, 2005
    The reason why is because in ROTJ there is a droid being tortured in Jabba's palace and it's screaming! But how can that be if it's a robot? The same goes for in ESB when R2-D2 is repairing C3-PO's foot at the end? He starts moaning too. What's it all about? it's bending me mind! Any assistance?

2. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    It's not impossible they can sense pain. The bionic limbs used to replace ones that are cut off in saberfights certainly do so, and they're mechanical, just like the droids. They feel sensations, but I'm not sure if they have feelings, meaning emotions.

3. captainnorth

May 22, 2005
    yeah but the droids i'm talking about aren't gonna have bionic limbs like General Grievous in ROTS.
    I'm talking about ones that have have been build just to aid and assist people like C3-PO and that one in ROTJ which is being tortured (which resembles a wheelie bin like we have in England for putting rubbish in and look hilarious!). Also C3-PO has no bionic limbs so he can't feel pain yet starts crying when R2-D2 is mending his shoe. What's all that about?

4. Bananakin

Bananakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2003
    Well, the reason we have pain (as humans) is to cause aversion to doing things that hurt us and are stupid (ie, jumping off of tall buildings, sawing off limbs, etc.) One could imagine that it serves the same purpose in droids: those with low cognitive abilities could be programmed to "feel" pain if something was causing them damage; thus, causing them to not want to do whatever it is they were doing.

5. captainnorth

May 22, 2005
    humans feel pain cos of nerve endings. droids (robots) only need to be programmed to do tasks. they either do it or they don't. why do they need to feel pain. also as for the one being tortured at jabba's house, why didn't jabba just turn the droid off?

6. Bananakin

Bananakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2003
    I was speaking in evolutionary terms; that is, the reason that humans have nerve endings in the first place is because those who had an aversion to things that hurt them were more likely to survive.

Anyway, yes, droids are just programmed to do tasks...but as we saw in the movies, without proper memory wipes, personality quirks can develop. And so, a curious little droid might reach out and touch something quite hot. To prevent further damage, and to keep the droid from doing it again, programmers might make the droid think it's feeling pain, so it will remove it's hand. Or at least, that's my explanation.

7. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    the droids in jabbas palace have been fitted with circuits to cause distress such that they CAN be tortured. they didnt have them originally. they've been added....

8. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    ^ PPOR :)

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    lol this reminds me of KOTOR, in Davik's estate...when you walk into that interrogation room. Inside the room there's these two torture droids, but when I first read the description "torture droid" I thought it was talking about some dark-side Force power that let you torture droids =D

10. JohnWayne

JohnWayne Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2005
    c3po does for sure.]-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.