Do extra-terrestrial beings exist?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by General Kenobi, Jun 14, 2003.

?

Do extra-terrestrial beings exist?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
Yes. It's only a matter of time before we start traveling to other galaxies, too. 154 vote(s) 45.8%
Maybe. They may exist, but there is no reliable evidence that they've ever visited us. 146 vote(s) 43.5%
No. They don't exist at all. There is no evidence to support their existence. 36 vote(s) 10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorn_zahl Force Ghost

star 4
    I think to believe that we're the only beings in our galaxy is a little naive. They have found microscopic life, water..etc anything is possible.

Do I think there's Greys flying around our skies? Maybe... though it appears they may have passed us up after seeing all the murder and mayhem going on here.

2. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    I think they exist, the universe is a big place and if we could randomly be created then I have to believe that another planet could and does support life.

I don't believe for one minute that extra-terrestrials have visited earth though.
  3. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    I went with maybe. I mean, as vast a sthe universe is, surely there is something out there with intellegent life besides us.
  4. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Maybe. They may exist, but there is no reliable evidence that they've ever visited us.
  5. The_Crow Jedi Master

star 4
  6. crash_slayer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I voted yes, but i doubt that we will be traveling the galaxy. if the other life isn't intelligent then we'll have ntohing to do with them, and if they are intelligent then they'll have nothing to do with us [face_plain]
  7. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
  8. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes, but that does not mean that we will eventually meet them. It is a big galaxy after all. Overall, I think that life is common in the universe, but that intelligent life and especially spacefaring civilizations are rare.
  9. jedikitty19 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No. They don't exist at all. There is no evidence to support their existence.
  10. _princess_leia_ Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes. Not sure where or how many, but we aren't alone.
  11. ticopuma Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Maybe. They may exist, but there is no reliable evidence that they've ever visited us.

I'm pretty darn sure that they indeed do exist, but not that they have visited Earth.
  12. Veloz Force Ghost

star 6
    Yes. It's only a matter of time before we start traveling to other galaxies, too
    I'm not sure we'd travel to other galaxies :p but i do believe they exist.
  13. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    We can always use the Stargate to cross galaxies.

But seriously, with the recent announcement that they discovered a planet that is 1.5 times larger than earth, in the 'Goldilocks zone' of it's system, a approx temperature of 0 degress C to 45 degress and traces of water. Then there is a good possibility that there is also live there.

Not to mention most of the Milkyway is uncharted, who know's what we will find out there or what will find us.
  14. JediVegeta Force Ghost

star 4
  15. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
  16. 1Yodimus_Prime Force Ghost

star 4
    Imagine, for a moment, that every star is a di.

With nearly a quadrillion "dice" orbiting our Galaxy, and countless trillions upon trillions of similar sized-or-larger galaxies beyond that, each with their own near-quadrillion dice, all with a least a miniscule chance of landing on "Life"...The odds fall in favor of Yes.

Yes and then some, actually.

The trick is, assuming we find life (unlikely), and assuming that life is complex (highly unlikely), and assuming that complex life is intelligent (astronomically unlikely), and assuming they are advanced enough to communicate with us (Act-of-God-level unlikely)...

...how would we even hope to begin talking to them? Hell, simply sending an image of a human, smiling and waving, could be enough to incite them to war. And we'd never know why. Or vice versa. Remember: the first human-made images ever sent into space was a broadcast of the Olympic games that Hitler spoke at. No alien lifeform would understand the significance of that, outside of the fact that it's associated with us, and would likely tack it onto any response they try to send us. Think about that.
  17. Star_Rocker Force Ghost

star 4
    Trick question right?

Of course extra-terrestrials exist.
  18. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
  19. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    how would we even hope to begin talking to them? Hell, simply sending an image of a human, smiling and waving, could be enough to incite them to war. And we'd never know why. Or vice versa. Remember: the first human-made images ever sent into space was a broadcast of the Olympic games that Hitler spoke at. No alien lifeform would understand the significance of that, outside of the fact that it's associated with us, and would likely tack it onto any response they try to send us. Think about that.

Math is universal.
  20. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
  21. Glove_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Master

star 1
  22. Bri_Windstar Force Ghost

star 4
    I voted Maybe. I don't really believe that they've visited Earth, but I think it's incredibly arrogant to assume we're alone.
  23. MarasFire Force Ghost

star 4
    Do angels count? :p

I think that if extra-terrestrials don't exist yet, they will.
  24. Fel_Freak228 Jedi Master

star 4
    No way...they don't exist. Unless you're talking about angels like MarasFire mentioned or God.:D :p
  25. packerfansam Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yes. It just seems so unlikely that with all the endless space out there that not one single planet or solar system would have some form of life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.