main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do extra-terrestrial beings exist?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by General Kenobi , Jun 14, 2003.

?

Do extra-terrestrial beings exist?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes. It's only a matter of time before we start traveling to other galaxies, too.

45.8%
  2. Maybe. They may exist, but there is no reliable evidence that they've ever visited us.

43.5%
  3. No. They don't exist at all. There is no evidence to support their existence.

10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I think to believe that we're the only beings in our galaxy is a little naive. They have found microscopic life, water..etc anything is possible.

Do I think there's Greys flying around our skies? Maybe... though it appears they may have passed us up after seeing all the murder and mayhem going on here.

2. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I think they exist, the universe is a big place and if we could randomly be created then I have to believe that another planet could and does support life.

I don't believe for one minute that extra-terrestrials have visited earth though.

3. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I went with maybe. I mean, as vast a sthe universe is, surely there is something out there with intellegent life besides us.

4. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Maybe. They may exist, but there is no reliable evidence that they've ever visited us.

5. The_Crow

The_Crow Jedi Master star 4

Jan 10, 2006
  6. crash_slayer

crash_slayer Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2005
    I voted yes, but i doubt that we will be traveling the galaxy. if the other life isn't intelligent then we'll have ntohing to do with them, and if they are intelligent then they'll have nothing to do with us [face_plain]

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Only in Hollywood :D

8. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Yes, but that does not mean that we will eventually meet them. It is a big galaxy after all. Overall, I think that life is common in the universe, but that intelligent life and especially spacefaring civilizations are rare.

9. jedikitty19

jedikitty19 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 23, 2006
    No. They don't exist at all. There is no evidence to support their existence.

10. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
    Yes. Not sure where or how many, but we aren't alone.

11. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    Maybe. They may exist, but there is no reliable evidence that they've ever visited us.

I'm pretty darn sure that they indeed do exist, but not that they have visited Earth.

12. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Yes. It's only a matter of time before we start traveling to other galaxies, too
    I'm not sure we'd travel to other galaxies :p but i do believe they exist.

13. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    We can always use the Stargate to cross galaxies.

But seriously, with the recent announcement that they discovered a planet that is 1.5 times larger than earth, in the 'Goldilocks zone' of it's system, a approx temperature of 0 degress C to 45 degress and traces of water. Then there is a good possibility that there is also live there.

Not to mention most of the Milkyway is uncharted, who know's what we will find out there or what will find us.

14. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Yeah, sure. Why not?

15. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
  16. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    Imagine, for a moment, that every star is a di.

With nearly a quadrillion "dice" orbiting our Galaxy, and countless trillions upon trillions of similar sized-or-larger galaxies beyond that, each with their own near-quadrillion dice, all with a least a miniscule chance of landing on "Life"...The odds fall in favor of Yes.

Yes and then some, actually.

The trick is, assuming we find life (unlikely), and assuming that life is complex (highly unlikely), and assuming that complex life is intelligent (astronomically unlikely), and assuming they are advanced enough to communicate with us (Act-of-God-level unlikely)...

...how would we even hope to begin talking to them? Hell, simply sending an image of a human, smiling and waving, could be enough to incite them to war. And we'd never know why. Or vice versa. Remember: the first human-made images ever sent into space was a broadcast of the Olympic games that Hitler spoke at. No alien lifeform would understand the significance of that, outside of the fact that it's associated with us, and would likely tack it onto any response they try to send us. Think about that.

17. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Trick question right?

Of course extra-terrestrials exist.

18. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Maybe. Maybe not.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    how would we even hope to begin talking to them? Hell, simply sending an image of a human, smiling and waving, could be enough to incite them to war. And we'd never know why. Or vice versa. Remember: the first human-made images ever sent into space was a broadcast of the Olympic games that Hitler spoke at. No alien lifeform would understand the significance of that, outside of the fact that it's associated with us, and would likely tack it onto any response they try to send us. Think about that.

Math is universal.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    No.

21. Glove_of_Darth_Vader

Glove_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2008
  22. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I voted Maybe. I don't really believe that they've visited Earth, but I think it's incredibly arrogant to assume we're alone.

23. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    Do angels count? :p

I think that if extra-terrestrials don't exist yet, they will.

24. Fel_Freak228

Fel_Freak228 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2007
    No way...they don't exist. Unless you're talking about angels like MarasFire mentioned or God.:D :p

25. packerfansam

packerfansam Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2007
    Yes. It just seems so unlikely that with all the endless space out there that not one single planet or solar system would have some form of life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.