main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do future Star Wars filmakers know the SWU?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by QuiWanKenJin, Dec 24, 2015.

1. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    For some reason I don't have privileges to post in the New Films forum. I don't why. So here we go, if Force Awakens is an indication of what is to come, then I think we should take stock of the changes. GL, was a visionary filmmaker, with an ingenious imagination. His six films, really drew you into the world you were seeing. There was a lot of world building and exposition in his films. Not only were these elements missing in TFA, but it showed us the same kind of worlds, put together in very confusing ways. For example, this is not Tatooine, this is Jakku, but we will put Jawa "looking" creatures that are not Jawas, as an homage? And because this is a space movie, there will be aliens, but not any of the aliens you have seen in this universe. Probably gone are the days, of the pacing of the plot of GL's films. GL's Star Wars were dramas with action scenes to tell the story. It seems to me that future films, will be seen by producers as simply in your face, SCI-FI action movies designed to blow you away from beginning to end. The plus is we get better directing and better script writing, but not the depth of the universe you are seeing. For a film, where the plot runs at a fever pitch there is no time for world building and explaining how things work. If future filmmakers are not required to be familiar with the Universe GL created, then I think gone are the days of things like the Huttesse language, Star Wars aliens, (as any aliens will do) "after all its just another space film," or the portraying of a galaxy with a complex mythological history to draw from, or culture, languages or Aurebesh. What is lacking: imagination and creativity. Furthermore, because of the misguided judgment of the prequels, "that they employed too much CGI." Could it be that future films, will pendulum swing in the extreme opposite and not take creative risks, which CGI is needed to employ them? Cloud City, would not have looked as impressive without CGI, Mos Eisely, would not have looked as impressive without it, etc, etc. So what do you think? Do you think future producers will put much thought into this rich universe, or just slap together stories and listen to focus groups and corporate pencil pushers?

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I have to disagree as I don't think there was not a lot of exposition and world building in the OT, they were character driven much like TFA. Also, I don't understand your argument here....you're upset they kind of rehashed some of the planets because you wanted something new but also upset they introduced us to new alien species because you want rehashes of what we have already seen? As it is, there have been new aliens introduced in every SW film and old ones used in all of them as well, this includes TFA. As for explaining how things work I have to disagree strongly with this statement, there is a lot more exposition in the PT compared to the OT but even those movies leave a lot up to the viewer to figure out, and in the case of TFA I think a lot of the answers will come in the next installment. Also, the lyrics of the songs playing in Maz's place are in Huttese and I think one of the characters Finn talked to spoke in Huttese (not 100% on this one) so they are clearly using established languages and such. I guess the CGI thing is just an opinion, but I think things like Mos Eisely worked better without CGI (Cloud City I think did look better in the SE) because it was supposed to be a worn down desert spaceport. A mix of them like TFA did is exactly the way I would go, even though I actually felt a couple of the CGI things didn't work as well (the rathtars).

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I agree with QuiWan's comments on TFA compared to the other six films, however, as the future films are all getting their own directors, I don't see the way that TFA was laid out, as a blueprint for future films.

JJ Abrams and Disney probably prioritised that this first film under their tenure, had to make a massive impact to bring back SW fans that had left over the intervening years, and to inspire a brand new generation of fans; whereas The Phantom Menace was ultimately more to do with the first chapter of the Star Wars Saga, than dealing with the real life sixteen year gap between films, and the amount of longing that caused amongst the fandom that lived on the memory of the OT all that time.

4. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    QuiWanKenJin

I moved your thread to New Films as it belongs here and not in the Star Wars Community. Anyway; carry on with your discussion.

5. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    QuiWanKenJin, just wanted to let you know you have to ask for permission in this thread.

In response to your question, I think that it takes a special person to actually understand the Star Wars universe. Both the nuances and the more obvious layers. It is probably going to be very hit and miss for the fans from now on out, because it's no longer going to have that genuine George Lucas feeling. I can hope they'll find the best balance they can with all the films, but I don't know if they ever will. I think it it a unique thing entirely that GL has created, and I think his methods are very unique and unmatchable by anyone, personally.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  6. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for Episode VII that they needed to meet their 2015 quota by rushing out a rehashed bore of a film.

Next time I hope they expand the universe by offering better character motivations, storyline, planets and villains to the mix.

I really don't think JJ understands Star Wars on anything more than a superficial level, this film hit the OT notes to get those crowd pleasing moments but it really felt shallow to me.

7. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Well, Rian Johnson is on record saying that he enjoyed the prequels. I enjoyed Looper, and I know he is a Saga fan. I trust that what he will do will fit inside of the universe that I hold dear.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just like with the book and comic authors, all movie director's will be given a free pass on their first movie. Watch or read a 2nd story to be sure about them.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As someone who thoroughly enjoyed TFA, I have some concerns about all the hope placed in Rian Johnson to 'change things up' with Haute Arte or something.

I have not seen any of his films, but I did enjoy Breaking Bad, so there's that.

What I want from future films? A solid fight between the "good guys" and the "bad guys", plus good action and witty dialogue. Multidimensional characters are great, but it is not necessary to play the "b...bu...but maybe the bad guys are really good and the good guys are really bad!" mental-gymnastics games in order to give us good complex characterizations.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    For better or worse, TFA is E7. E8 and E9 can't go off the deep end here.

11. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I totally agree with this 100%. TFA was a good movie, but it certainly wasn't a George Lucas film. Everything going forward after ROTJ will be just directors playing in his sandbox. GL created the whole thing from top to bottom, and not to many directors out there have done something like this, not to mention having a huge influence not only culturally, but he changed a lot on how movies are made. Like him or not, he made a huge impact with SW, his creation.