main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do-It-Yourself PC Suggestion Corner

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The_Chim, Nov 15, 2011.

1. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    So stupid question I know because ON-BOARD GRAPHICS IS THE DEVIL! but should I avoid a motherboard with on-board as an option? Obviously I am getting a dedicated graphics card and have no intentions of using the on-board ports, I only ask because as far as I can tell it has the same features as a more expensive motherboard but saves me $50. Can I assume it would be a hassle and give me problems when I try and use the discrete card?

Motherboard One vs Motherboard Two

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Onboard graphics won't ever give you trouble, no - but I don't know what the difference is between Intel Z68 and Intel Z68 Express (the Express being the cheaper one with onboard graphics). Possibly one is an older chipset?

3. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    They're both listed as Z68 Express in the product description...

Intel's site only includes references to the Z68 Express chipset, so perhaps it's one in the same?

4. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Huh. I suppose that means there's no difference, save the onboard graphics.

5. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Flare you said you have the same liquid cooler in your machine right, well how many fan connectors did it take? I am looking at the slots for fans on my mother board and wondering if I'll need an adapter molex or something because I have a bunch of fans for this.

6. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    It plugs into your 3 pin mobo processor fan slot and into your 3 pin mobo back fan slot. It IS a 120mm fan for the back for the case

If you find a 3 pin fan -> drive power source adapter, link it

"Future Proofing" is frustrating. They do new processor slot types every couple of years, so you will never be able to update that. And then there is going to be DD4,5,6. Because **** you that's why

However, like in my case I sunk a lot of money into my initial build. My computer is 8 years old and I can run Skyrim fine. I have done upgrades piecemeal, like more ram, better hard drive. Those are $100 pops, which is very affordable. Never had to do it from the mobo/processor up

On Board graphics: Current BIOS autosmurfally disables it when it detects another graphics card plugged in. That ONBOARD GRAPHICS IS THE DEVIL thing is outdated, if it was ever true.

HOWEVER, when it inventively doesn't start, or fails in the future, you're going to have to take it apart and troubleshoot. The first thing that comes out is the graphics card. So it's nice to have an onboard so you can actually see things. Or at least a basic graphic card you can use.

7. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Well the two 120mm fans take two slots and the pump itself that is mounted to the CPU has another 3pin connector on it also. Does that mean it uses three slots total? Because I have two more 200mm chassis fans that need connected still.

I suppose I will just have to get the board in my hands and look at it to determine how many fan spots it supports, though everything I have read says it has five total. 1 x CPU, 2 x Chassis, 2 x Power Fan.

8. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
  9. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeah when it comes to PCs, "future proofing" just means "will not have to upgrade for several years". Some hardware is backwards-compatible (USB 1/2/3 use the same plugs, and so does SATA2/3, etc) but that's not possible with CPU sockets, I guess.

That's a compelling argument for getting a mobo with onboard graphics, though.

10. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Considering the PC I am using now uses an AGP graphics card ANYTHING is going to be an upgrading and not need replacing for quite some time.

11. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Two. CPU -> mobo fan connector and back fan -> mobo fan connector

On the mobo you linked to, you are going to be short one mobo fan connector. CPU + Back fan = taken by the cooler. Front = whatever fan you buy

I'm in the same boat. Need one more fan. There's gotta be a fan pin -> outdated hard drive 4 pin adapter. Find it, Marcus

12. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    oops missed that, thanks. You need one of those for the amount of fans you are considering.

HOWEVER, as my little sidekick, I have to wonder why you are using three 200m fans?

As I said before (that you probably didn't read) what is important is airflow, not just blowing fans. I do it as fans blowing IN the front and fans blowing OUT the back. Input -> exhaust.

Cases with fans blowing in the side is just going to blow around sucktarded air

Rather, I'd use a drive bay fan for the front, and a back fan bay slot

Actually, to be honest because and I are best friends. Get the front fan, your back fan is covered. Put it together and check the temps and ask us (me).

13. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
  14. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    After a good year at work I've taken the plunge and have begun to build a new machine myself.

I'm buying things in 2 processes, first part of the process is to get the stuff that is kinda statically priced like the Case / PSU and SSD (Hard dive prices have been a bit crap because of the floods and other natural disasters in the part of the world which makes them, so there probably won't be too much of a change).

I've gone for these guys:

Case > http://www.scan.co.uk/products/fractal-design-define-r3-usb-30-black-pearl-mid-tower-case-with-cable-routing-and-noise-absorbing-ma
    PSU > http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1050w-psu-corsair-pro-series-gold-hx1050-modular-88-eff-80-plus-silver-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-f
    SSD > http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb-ocz-vertex-3-max-iops-edition-25-sata-6gb-s-ssd-read-550mb-s-write-500mb-s-85k-iops

I would have gone for the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD but can't find anywhere with stock any more...

Next step is obviously mobo / cpu / ram / gfx / cooling

I'm more than likely going to go for an ASUS mobo because of UEFI, an i5-2500k, no more than 8gb of RAM.

In terms of gfx, probably an nvidia 570 gtx, but I understand AMD have unleashed a new series of cards?

The reason for my beefy PSU is so I can power a second card in the future.

Eventually I'll also obviously grab a second storage device, I just want to get something asap so that I can get TOR on there.

15. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Ok, second half purchased.

The only thing outstanding is an HDD with moving parts, they're just too pricey at the moment.

i5-2500k
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO
    8gb RAM
    MSI GTX 570 1280mb Twin Frozr III
    LG DVD writer

This build fulfils my immediate requirements of getting up and running with TOR!

16. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    All my kit arrived yesterday and I assembled it more or less problem free. The only issue was the weight of the CPU heatsink (I was worried the mobo might break in half, lol).

All I can say is seriously guys - GET AN SSD!

I installed Windows 7 and then SP1 in half an hour, it's insane.

I've got TOR installed so when I get home tonight I'll update that and test it out.

17. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I remember reading that some heavy heatsinks come with a backing stand (or whatever it's called) that goes underneath the motherboard, so the heatsink has something to latch on to. Did yours? (I just went with stock cooling when I built my PC; it doesn't get all that hot around here.)

And yeah, SSDs are brilliant, aren't they. :D

18. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Yeah it's latched on at the back, but I still didn't like the amount of flex in the mobo when I lifted it from each side. To be honest I didn't comprehend quite how large the heatsink would be so I may well do some tweaking.

The case is also so freakin quiet, even under load.

The SSD has been the single largest performance increase though, I just want a standard HDD now to stick the Sims on for the missus to play :D

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
  20. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Got the mail and found a pant load of letters for me from an address I didn't recognize figuring ti was bills. Uggh. Turns out it is four rebates totaling $90 thus far. Good stuff. Next component here I come!

21. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    UPDATE! After some unforeseen problems (was in the hospital for 3rd degree burns on my hand and arm) I wasn't working and thus not getting paid so computer was on hold. Now I am back on track and finishing the purchases this week. I am ordering my CPU, Mobo and Bluray Drive, today actually. Which brings me to my next question for the forum... can anyone recommend me some Bluray software? All the drives I am finding don't come with anything respectable except maybe this one with Cyberlink Powerdvd Suite 10.

22. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    That sucks Chim, hope you're recovering well.

As for Blu Ray software, what about Corel WinDVD?

Trial version is available if you want to give it a go.

I've had no problems with Cyberlink PowerDVD so give it a go? I haven't used any Blu Ray software though, only used them while working with DVDs.

23. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Thanks, all is well now. Bank account is back up, well was back up before I bought my goodies. I thought I only needed a few main components but I forgot I needed thermal paste, mini hdmi adapater for my secondary monitor (46" television) and the fan adapter which brings me to my next question...

Is there any real difference between these two? Molex Adapter vs Fan Y-Splitter. I would figure that plugging more fans into one outlet on the Mobo would be more taxing or risky than a straight connection to the PSU. I like the idea of the fan RPMs being monitored by my mobo though. So maybe combining both, as seen here, is the best solution. Any ideas?

Edit: Linkage