main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do JC groups have the right to keep posters from posting in their thread?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by farraday, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    There are a plethora of groups here who take themselves seriously. However do they have the right to say who can and can not post in their thread?

Presuming, of course, that the user isn't violating the rules of the JC, can regular users keep another poster from posting there?

Well realistically they can not force a user to leave, but should they be able to have a mod remove that poster.

Do groups have any special right to membership exclusive of the rest of the JC?

2. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    As I see it, as long as a user isn't offending anyone or violating the TOS, they are free to post in whatever thread they wish.

This is open to interpretation however, since some users may constitute some unwelcome user posting in their thread against their own wishes as "offensive".

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    For me it depends on the person who posts and their history in a particular group's thread and it depends on what the person has to say.

4. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Isn't that basically the same as saying the group gets to decide who is allowed to post there? Since they can throw out any poster based on a subjective unrecognized standard?

5. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    There was a discussion similar in structure to this regarding the TPM Basher's Sanctuary and the Defense Forces in the AC.

The general consensus there was that individual forum mods had the right to forbid individual users from posting in particular threads, but this action shouldn't be taken unless it was the result of repeated baiting, trolling, flaming and subsequent bans. In other words, just cause was required in that case.

Of course that falls under what Dashy just said about violating the TOS.

Personally, I feel that only in extreme cases should a particular user be banned from posting in a particular thread.

EDIT: Me spell bad.

6. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Isn't that basically the same as saying the group gets to decide who is allowed to post there? Since they can throw out any poster based on a subjective unrecognized standard?

Yep

7. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Then Master Salty does this privledge extend to other threads?

Why do social groups have a unique right to decide who can post there, and does having a mod as a member of that group indicate a lack of impartiality?

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't think a social group can create an exclusive zone. So long as a member posts respectfully and responsibly, they may post in a JC thread. That's part of the reason for off-site extensions of groups, isn't it?

9. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I think that shows a reasonable attitude, obviously you're going to be demoted soon.

:p

Any other comments from mods and users?

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Then Master Salty does this privledge extend to other threads?

I think it does if people have a known history of causing problems when they post in a thread.

Why do social groups have a unique right to decide who can post there, and does having a mod as a member of that group indicate a lack of impartiality?

I can't comment on the Mod part because we don't have a Mod in the BYS but I don't think this is limited to any particular group. I think it should extend to every thread. Granted, if the claims are unfounded then the people who are regulars in the thread will just have to get over it.

11. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    does having a mod as a member of that group indicate a lack of impartiality?

If nothing else, it gives appearances of bias, whether it actually exists or not. Sometimes, that can be a ticklish thing to deal with, even if no such bias exists.

I don't think it would be a problem if the mod interacted with the social group as "one of the guys/gals" and didn't exercise his or her mod "powers" within the context of the thread.

12. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I think people should be able to post where they want (as long as they're not trolling ;) :)) I head of the obi-wan fan club right now.and I'm always glad to have anybody posting there :)

13. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    Instead of a post, I was granted this:

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

Sorry [face_blush]

14. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Do JC groups have the right to keep posters from posting in their thread?

Absolutely not. It's a message board, man! People are going to want to post in the threads! :)

I understand and respect the specialized threads for certain groups and cliques, however, that does not mean I cannot post in your thread if I am not "part of your group".

Now, if I post in your thread and I am being aggravating to the members there and causing trouble (baiting, trolling, spamming), then I get spanked - and maybe even told to to stay away from the thread from now on to avoid getting my own self into trouble again. But that would be done with the effort of trying to look out for me, keeping me from getting in more trouble, but not denying me all rights to post in the thread.

No user should be told "You can't post here. Sorry."

15. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I agree, G-S. If your posts aren't causing trouble, or you don't have a history of flaming a group or its members, there's no reason to keep you from posting in a thread.

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Ahh. Memories of the Games Forum's "Force Boat" thread.

While it is indeed true that in theory people in a social thread cannot 'prevent' people from posting in it, there are situatations where someone posting in a social thread (or any other thread for that matter) could be seen as derailing it or spamming it.

So while members of a (usually social) thread don't have the right to tell someone to "get the hell off the boat... err thread", people who enter that thread and do not wish to partake in the threads primary purpose (ie. they're there to troll / derail) can have action taken against them.

I guess it all comes down to intent.

17. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    As far as I'm concerned, anyone can post in any social thread.

However, if the group that 'owns' the social thread (you know what I mean...BYS if its a BYS thread, Dark Lords if its a Dark Lord thread) sees the others posting in their thread, and considers their actions disruptive, they can contact the forum mods about it.

The mods will look into it, and make a decision on whether the 'intruders' are being disruptive/troublemaking, or are posting in a decent manner. If its the former, they might be asked to leave. If its the latter, they will be allowed to continue.

But the decision is for the mods, and the mods alone, to make. The thread 'owners' can only alert the mods. Anything more, any vigilante action, will get those involved into trouble.

18. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    That sounds good to me.

19. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    In my experience, the only time the members of a social group will ask someone not to post in their thread is if the said member is causing a problem (breaking TOS). In such a case, then yes, that poster should be removed (given the forum mod sees and agrees with problem), as would be the case with any other thread. Otherwise, it appears to me that most social groups are more than happy to welcome new folks into their threads.

20. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    Otherwise, it appears to me that most social groups are more than happy to welcome new folks into their threads.

I'd hope the same standard applies to the "home" posters and how they react to "outsiders."

If an outsider comes in to post in a thread, the TOS should apply to the "home posters" just as much as the outsider. Insults and flames towards the outsider by home posters should be dealt with equally as swift and harsh as those from the outsider.

21. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
  22. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    So for instance, if a user wished to communicate with a group to say...I don't know, ask for a sig to be changed from a bait or parody, they would be able to do so as long as aforementioned communication was done politely and didn't contravene the TOS.

They wouldn't be asked to leave, nor would they have their posts modified. Oh, and I don't think we'd be able to stipulate an exclusivity to any given thread, especially social threads.

Of course, that is only my common sense perspective. I may not be away of any other policy on the matter, and would refer to KW's post of the same ilk (his being an Administrator) for a more clarified stance on behalf of the MS.

23. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    How hypothetical, PoT.

24. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I have zero issues with anyone who wants to posting in the TPMDF thread, so long as they realize the purpose of the thread. Outright bashing is not considered on topic. Yet lots of people who are not members of the DF come in all the time and post. I would not dream of telling them "you can't post here."

I think this applies everywher else and the Moderators of whatever forum the social thread is in need to be VERY careful about when they ask someone be excluded from a thread. To do so casually or with little thought would be to open a huge can of worms.

25. PadmesHairstylist

PadmesHairstylist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Do groups have any special right to membership exclusive of the rest of the JC?

Of course not.

Do members of such groups have the right to talk about matters or even regular conversation with members of their respective group? Absolutely....it is only natural to feel that way. Would they prefer it? Probably so. That is their right.

Does that mean others cannot not post there? No....

Those that are truly innocent in wanting to post in these threads are totally welcome to do so. In most of these cases, they are interested in joining. That's why they are probably posting there in the first place, right?

What is not the "home" poster's right is to chase away non-members. To treat them wrongly because they are not members should not be tolerated.

I agree with the essence of this thread. It will, of course, come down to the decision of the Moderator whenever it becomes an issue/problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.