main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do JC groups have the right to keep posters from posting in their thread?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by farraday, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    But that doesn't cut both ways does it?

Do they have to know anything about me? No, because my ability to post is secondary to their ability to do whatever they want.

It seems while everybody talks a good game about equality very few want to practice it.

You know what? They don't care who you are they just care if you'll conform. Do whatever they want and you're acceptable be different and you get the mods sicced on you.

It's amazing all the nerds, geeks, iconoclasts and introverts here and the first thing we do is set up groups so we can exclude other people.

2. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Hmm.. although I haven't seen it recently, and I won't mention specific groups (although, for the record, it hasn't been any of the "social groups" mentioned thus far in this thread - if anyone wants to know specifically what group(s) I'm referring to, PM me), I HAVE seen social threads in the past where, at least from my perspective (not being a member of the group(s) in question) it looked like the posts in the thread were "spam".
    But when a non-member of the group would post in the thread(s) in question to ask what the heck was going on and what people were talking about (and often times, the user was a newbie who didn't know about the various social threads or groups and such), the "members" of the group would tell the newbie to go away, not to post there, that their message (of inquiry as to what the thread was about) was spam, and generally be rude.
    Like I said, I've not seen it happen recently (but then again, I don't look too hard - I learned to avoid "group-specific" threads... mainly due to a few bad experiences very similar to the one described above), but stuff like that is stuff I feel shouldn't be tolerated. Telling someone to go away simply because they're not a member of the group isn't right. Casting someone away when they have a legitemate inquiry about a thread's purpose because they actually have no idea what's going on, and the thread doesn't make any sense unless you're actually a part of the group, is wrong.

That's just my 2 credits on the issue, speaking from some personal experience.

3. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    When you see behavior towards a new poster in an existing social thread reflect a not-so-nice tone and you suspect mods didn't see it, you also share the responsibility of passing it on to someone who can help. If you can provide us with a specific thread, user, and time, we will do our best to assist in alleviating the problem.

4. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    The BYS is allowed to insult each other to their hearts content, because they all 'know' they're joking.

A lot of us have spent time together in real life and some of us are very close. That makes a HUGE difference in how things are taken.

However if an outsider comes in are they treated equally? No.

Yes they are treated as equals until they show otherwise. Past encounters also play a role in how we treat people in our thread.

Any joking insult is flaming.

We don't know you. You don't know us. Insults are unacceptable.

So yes you have the right to post anywhere in theory, in practice though you have to conform to whatever thread you join because they can get you banned not for violating the rules but for being an outsider acting like an equal.

Nobody has ever been banned because they weren't "equals". Once again, it would help to actually get to know people before making a wide ranging accusation. One final note, it's not hard to pick out people that are disingenuous or posting to make a point.

And we pretend cliques aren't the right words for these groups.

Clique IS the right word for it, and I have no problem saying that.

Do they have to know anything about me? No, because my ability to post is secondary to their ability to do whatever they want.

Knowing the REAL you would help. It does make a difference.

It seems while everybody talks a good game about equality very few want to practice it.

I haven't pulled any punches at all.

You know what? They don't care who you are they just care if you'll conform. Do whatever they want and you're acceptable be different and you get the mods sicced on you.

We do care who people are. The point of having groups is to surround yourself with people that are very similar to you. It's not a matter of conforming. It's a matter of respecting the way the group does things and the realization that people in certain groups are very similar for the most part.

Salty

5. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    It depends on what said post was doing. If and this has been said a few times before said poster was trolling, flaming, and or spamming. Well then that poster will be delt with by ether being told not to post in said thread or by a banning.

For example I will welcome new posters in some of the group thread I'm a part of. As long said post is not flaming, trolling, spamming.

If you are posting and fallowing the TOS there is no problem. ;)

6. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    When you see behavior towards a new poster in an existing social thread reflect a not-so-nice tone and you suspect mods didn't see it, you also share the responsibility of passing it on to someone who can help. If you can provide us with a specific thread, user, and time, we will do our best to assist in alleviating the problem.

Well, the first two times it happened (or I saw it happen), I did PM the Mods, and they said they'd "take care of it", so I kinda left it alone. The third and fourth times I saw it happen, I pretty much ignored it, because I assumed that after seeing it four times, it must be "acceptable behavior". (and again, this was not recently at all). And that's probably the reason why farraday made this thread, because it's happened in the past, nothing was done, and it has come to look like "acceptable behavior".

7. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    - Which thread was it in?
    - Who made the thread feel as if others couldn't post in it?
    - Did the mods get back to you or respond to users in the thread? This may not be known if it was done via PM.
    - Please give me examples.

Thanks. :)

8. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    A lot of us have spent time together in real life and some of us are very close. That makes a HUGE difference in how things are taken.

Except the mods have banned users flaming themselves with a sock.

Obviously then the fact the target and the poster are close is no excuse. What you are encouraging is quite planely a double standard besed not on the rules of the forums but some ambiguous "We're friends" standard that can't even be subject to independent verification.

And then of course if in the future you piss each other off and stop being friends, the exact same comment offends you and should be considered trolling.

It's moderating completely based on what the reader thinks of the post and that is something the Mods have said in the past they're not going to do.

Except, apaprently, when they want to.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I happen to agree with farraday, but then again I'm always for equal application of rules.

My example would be thus:

A newbie walks into a social thread (ouch!), and you have the following...

UserX: UserY, you're such a dumbass!
    UserY: That's "dumas," you dumbass!
    Newbie (thinking "Hey, that looks like fun!"): No, it's ahs-wee-pay, you're both dumbasses.

And the Newbie gets banned, while Users X and Y do not.

Much like Moderators should not have to know every spoiler to moderate a Forum, nor should they have to know every single friend pairing or social order.

10. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Dear lord....

I disagree with the both of you 100%. Friends give each other a hard-time. Anyone and everyone knows that. It's common sense. It's something that is practiced in both real life and message board life. If you don't realize that...well...you're a hermit who has been living a sheltered life...//shrugs//

Now, in terms of message boards, when some random poster just shows-up out of nowhere and gives us ****, how do you think we would react? Or anyone in general? We don't know this person...they don't know us. It's just like if it happened in a bar or on the streets. You're sittin' at the bar with your buds...giving each other a hard-time out of jest...and then some drunk idiot (who you don't know) walks over to your table and starts giving you crap. What are ya gonna do? How are ya gonna react? You don't know this person. You have NO CLUE of their intentions. So how are ya gonna react? Huh? Exactly. Heh.

And this whole thing is stupid. Farraday never once had any intentions to come into our thread in a friendly manner (initially). He started this thread so he could get permission to come into our thread and get on our ass (over something INCREDIBLY trivial) with impunity. Plain and simple.

Now, had he come-in in a friendly manner and with friendly intentions...sure, we would have greeted and welcomed him with open-arms. Because THAT'S how we are. If you don't know that...well...then you don't know the BYS too damn well. Goodbye.

Shelby

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    so he's making a raucous in your neck of the woods eh shelby? i know what that's like... ;)

12. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    [face_laugh]

I'll bet you do... ;)

He was. But we've made peace and he posts nicely, now...I think...I hope... ;) :p

And I must say...that even though he was making a ruckus...he does stand-by his convictions. And though I totally disagree with his point on every level, that garners my respect. It's good to stand-by your convcitions. Even if they seem and come-across as overly-eccentric... ;) :)

Shelby

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I disagree with the both of you 100%. Friends give each other a hard-time. Anyone and everyone knows that. It's common sense. It's something that is practiced in both real life and message board life. If you don't realize that...well...you're a hermit who has been living a sheltered life...//shrugs//

Now, in terms of message boards, when some random poster just shows-up out of nowhere and gives us ****, how do you think we would react? Or anyone in general? We don't know this person...they don't know us. It's just like if it happened in a bar or on the streets. You're sittin' at the bar with your buds...giving each other a hard-time out of jest...and then some drunk idiot (who you don't know) walks over to your table and starts giving you crap. What are ya gonna do? How are ya gonna react? You don't know this person. You have NO CLUE of their intentions. So how are ya gonna react? Huh? Exactly. Heh.

So, you ARE saying that the Mod for a given Forum should be completely up-to-date on every friendship on the board, jsut so they can moderate the intent of every post in every group, right?

14. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    "So, you ARE saying that the Mod for a given Forum should be completely up-to-date on every friendship on the board, jsut so they can moderate the intent of every post in every group, right?"

Ummm....No....I'm not sayin' that. That's abit over-the-top. I'm just sayin' that it's common sense that in real life, friends give each other a hard-time. And when a stranger wanders-in and starts flipping them crap as well, they'll react differently. And the same thing applies to this board (or ANY board for that matter) and it's social groups. Not too difficult to understand, really. This really has nothing to do with mods, or keeping them up-to-date, or whatever. If one were to glance at our thread, It's pretty easy to see who the regulars are and who is coming-in to intentionally stir-up the **** (which...honestly...doesn't happen all that often. Not like it used-to...which would make this argument mostly moot). No need for elaborate friendship updates for the mods or anything...that's just a tad excessive, no?

Shelby

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If you know the community you moderate in, along with having some common sense and a willingness to investigate if necessary, it isn't too difficult.

16. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    If you know the community you moderate in, along with having some common sense and a willingness to investigate if necessary, it isn't too difficult.

Bingo.

17. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    Yep. Most definitely. Well-said, KW. ;) :)

Shelby

18. Darth_Envy

Darth_Envy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, I think all has been said now that is necessary. I believe that the original question has been answered and this thread can now die a nice peaceful death.

19. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I'm personally not going to walk in a thread, see several posts where User X is calling User Y "you moron" and user Y says "No, you're a moron"--and go report it.

I've got better things to do.

If you come into a thread and call me a moron, in all likelihood I'm going to report your ass. But if you're insulting someone else, I'm staying out of it. It could be a joke, it might not be--either way, it isn't my problem.

Do groups have the right to keep posters from posting in their threads?

I would say if you go into the TPM Defense Force and say "TPM sucks, Lucas should have never made it, and you're an idiot if you can find anything good about it," or if you go into the Basher's Sanctuary and say "TPM is the greatest movie ever and you people don't know what good movies are," then yes--because it's trolling. Otherwise though, I don't see what reason any group would have for keeping someone out.

20. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    ^ Well said. That's what I've been sayin' this whole-time. If someone (a complete stranger to me) just turns-up and starts talking **** to either myself or the people in my social group, they're reported. Plain and simple. But if you come-in with good intentions and want to hang-out and get-along with us, we'd love to have you. Great post. You get the point. :)

"Well, I think all has been said now that is necessary. I believe that the original question has been answered and this thread can now die a nice peaceful death."

I agree. Just thought I'd address a couple of things before we let this one go by the way-side... ;) :)

Shelby

21. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I agree with KW and bingo on this issue.

22. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    KW I have no problem with investigating as long as the mods understands it means getting both sides of the story instead of just assuming the person who complains is right.

And Shelby for someone who keeps saying you have to "know" whats going, on you seem to have no problem making assumptions about other people and acting like they're true.

I created this thread just so I could get permission to annoy you? Contrary to what you seem to believe things don't revolve around the BYS.

Although it is nice to see you stooping down amoung us drama mongerers.

23. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    Well, I know that in the Role Playing Forum, a group of Role Players, The Game Masters of War of the Galaxies, have "banned" certain JCers from posting in their threads.

24. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Obviously then the fact the target and the poster are close is no excuse. What you are encouraging is quite planely a double standard besed not on the rules of the forums but some ambiguous "We're friends" standard that can't even be subject to independent verification.

So?

And then of course if in the future you piss each other off and stop being friends, the exact same comment offends you and should be considered trolling.

That's already happened. It's old news.

It's moderating completely based on what the reader thinks of the post and that is something the Mods have said in the past they're not going to do.

Except, apaprently, when they want to.

That's their perogative.

I created this thread just so I could get permission to annoy you? Contrary to what you seem to believe things don't revolve around the BYS.

Damn, somebody lied to me.

Although it is nice to see you stooping down amoung us drama mongerers.

When in the Drama Forum, do as the drama mongerers do.

25. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    I'd like to share something with everybody, especially farraday.

Extracts from first post in the BYS after i was invited to join on the basis that one of my ep3 theories was "laughable":

Hello scum of the universe.

i believe your acedemic level is still under development

It seems to me that the BYS is full of fools and scum who have nothing but negativity to add and people to hurt.

Consider me your mortal enemy.

In my opinion, that is trolling and i should have been banned but i wasn't. People would then assume that the BYS leadership would have forced me out of the thread but no they didn't.

They accepted my initial outburst and found it funny. After i relaxed a little and got to know them better i realised the thread was a means to have fun and isn't no where as serious as anyone makes out.

Now i'm a BYS master and i can tell you that we accept anybody that wishes to post in the thread. However, when that poster continuallys cause trouble, just like any other thread, we are forced to call in the mods and or ask the person to leave.

Everybody has permission to post anywhere but to cause trouble is to go against the TOS and should, in turn, grant some kind of "punishment". Quit whinging and play nice and everything will be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.