main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do JJ Abrams, Lucasfilm or Disney no longer consider the PT canon or part of the Star Wars universe?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SW Saga Fan, Jul 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    In the other thread "A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)", Prisic Duskleap has posted this article:

Link: http://heroicuniverse.com/j-j-abrams-gives-the-star-wars-prequels-the-cold-shoulder/

I don't know what to think but I take this article with a grain of salt since the author of this article turned Abram's phrase by saying to everyone that Abrams do not consider the prequels as canon or part of the Star Wars universe, while in reality when he says:

He said "especially", not "only".

So does JJ Abrams, Disney or Lucasfilm no longer consider the Prequel Trilogy to be part of canon or part of the Star Wars universe? Or is this article just journalism bullsh***t?

V-2 and Andy Wylde like this.
  2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Lucasfilm and Disney do... Now JJ I'm not so sure about.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think either's the case. I think some are simply jumping the gun looking to be upset.

4. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

Or some are just trying to upset others.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. Darth Sequel Trilogy

Darth Sequel Trilogy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 13, 2015
    I would like to welcome the PT fans in to the world of SW fandom and how it feels to get dissed by the creator of the movies. I grew up an OT fan, and Lucas gave the cold shoulder to the OOT versions in 1997 and we never saw a proper release after that. Heck, he made changes in the SE by actually digitally inserting new actors into previous scenes (Hayden as a force ghost). I believe JJ is never going to say the PT is not canon, but I firmly believe that there will not be one PT reference in TFA. He is making these movies to be watched 4,5,6,7,8,9 and the PT is EU to him as either you can take it or leave it.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I wouldn't know, I can't speak for them. I'm not, simply saying some pockets over reach often and gripe. I feel there is *already* clear PT links that some are willfully ignoring but to each their own. If one wants to be upset they will be.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  7. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Bah I rankle at the casual PT/Jedi hate the creators seem to harbour, but if they give me a good series of films following the OT I don't care. Continuity in new canon has been shot to the hells anyway.

8. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Answer me honestly. Do you sincerely believe that is was really George Lucas intentions to piss off fans?

When I mentionned above that some people were trying to upset others, I meant the person who wrote this article, not JJ, since this person turned JJ's phrase.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Most likely this, sadly. I'm hating Abrams more and more as it goes on.

10. slova

slova Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2015
    Don't worry, those people are nostalgia lunatics, they're gonna hate the new movies for the same reason they hate the prequels, not beinga carbon copy of the OT

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Did he really say that? I'm done. Not seeing the movie.

Jo Lucas and Mindless Monster like this.
  12. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

We are not sure if this article is a reliable source, that's why I ask the question if this could be true, or this article is just rubbish. I tried to find similar articles to this one with the same quote, but nothing else...

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    What are you talking about?

JJ isn't the creator of the movies.

I grew up a Star Wars fan and I still am.

6 GREAT movies so far.

Can JJ make 1 great one?

Let's hope so.

Too late!

What is there to say to that besides that simply is not the reality.

It's all Star Wars.

I am going to have such a great time with all this nonsense.

Those fans who so desperately want to pretend that they story isn't the story are just going to unfortunately going to come out of TFA very sad indeed.

Possibly or for trying to be and not being or for not trying to be or for whatever reason they want to make up at that time.

It's such a small group it's amazing they are giving them so much attention.

Rabs, Andy Wylde, Bowen and 1 other person like this.
  14. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I wonder about that. I mean it's been 32 years since ROTJ came out. Like the PT they have expectations and I'm not sure they can ever be fill filled.

15. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    The quotes in the article are correct, I am posting the panel in which he said it. His quotes are a response to a audience members question, start at the 11:45 mark.

Watch it for the full context, and make up your own mind...

For me, it is alarming. Not that he drew inspiration from 4,5, and 6 when he made TFA, that I can understand. However, the canon comment is alarming to me..

16. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Perhaps it's best to hold off on the rage until he confirms which version of the OT he considers canon.

;)

17. Billyjeanplxiv

Billyjeanplxiv Jedi Master star 1

Aug 8, 2014
    i am taken back. I do not know what to say. this is very disappointing.

18. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Did Abrams really tweet the RLM reviews?

19. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

To me, the cannon thing is not the most alarming one. The most alarming one for me, is when Lawrence Kasdan said at the same as this comment that they were still writing the scipt when shooting some scenes, from what I understood.

I don't know if it's normal or not, but a lot of people, including Mr Plinkett, were blaming Lucas for having wrote only one draft of the script of The Phantom Menace (while it has never been the case) and for having not finished the script while the designers and the model makers have already started their work for Revenge of the Sith, but haven't started shooting yet.

Andy Wylde, Samnz and mikeximus like this.
  20. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I'd really like to hear Abrams elaborate on that canon thing.

But don't read too much into this. Anyone who thinks the prequels aren't considered canon should check out starwars.com. You know, the official site? I don't see the prequels being ousted in any way.

Ewok Poet and Pensivia like this.
  21. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    That's not how I took the statement at all. ESPECIALLY 4-6 because 7-9 follows 4-6, duh? LOL. I mean you have to really be trying to see a slight there not to "get" that the movies have the same actors as 4-6 and follow 4-6, so why would they have anything to do with the prequels? Even thematically or stylistically, they shouldn't be like the prequels -- and I LOVE the prequels -- because that wouldn't make sense.

22. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    The fact that they are considered canon in theory doesn't mean that certain people officially involved with the Star Wars franchise aren't ignoring them as much as possible in practice, which is what's disturbing.

But he wasn't talking about which films TFA will have the most in common with (and I do think it makes sense for them to be more stylistically similar to the OT, though ideally they'd have themes and styles of their own), he specifically said he was talking about what he considers canon. And he specified the originals.

23. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I think this is blown out of proportion. I think he means the influences on the TFA. Style I think not canon.

A few years ago he took his Kids too Disney SW weekends and said he was a fan of TCW:

[​IMG]

24. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    I also wanna be careful of taking that article as a reliable source but after seeing how this marketing campaign is turning out so far I can't fully deny the legitimacy of it.

Andy Wylde and Darkslayer like this.
  25. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    No they´re still canon. JJ Abrams is just being an idiot dissmissing an important part of Star Wars saga and pissing on George Lucas´ legacy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.