main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do JJ Abrams, Lucasfilm or Disney no longer consider the PT canon or part of the Star Wars universe?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SW Saga Fan, Jul 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I'd most want to have Obi-Wan. I think he has a bit more of a personal connection to Luke, introducing him to the Force and all. Yoda would be nice to see too though.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  2. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Abrams didn't really have much of an impact on "Lost". After being one of the original creators and directing the series' pilot, he left the series in the hands of Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. I don't know about his impact on "Alias".

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Why would it be controversial? People are forgiving recasting when it is a necessity. Most people are going to want Ewan in there if Obi-wan were to appear, since he's next best and most logical choice. Only the angry fanboy would dislike it and they can just...

[​IMG]

4. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I agree with the idea of Force ghosts having run their course in the OT. Luke should pretty much be THE MAN in the ST, so I don't see him reaching out for guidance from a dead Yoda or Obi Wan. *Luke* should be the one doling out advice, etc. So yeah, I don't really expect to see anyone at this point. And that's fine with me.

And while I'm not a big prequel fan (understatement), I agree that Ewan was quite brilliant in his role, and wouldn't mind seeing him play Obi Wan again. Hopefully in an anthology film.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Way too overstate yourself, DS. :p

There are reasons beyond 'angry fannishness' that some would prefer Sir Alec's Ben be left in his established place as Ghost Obi.

6. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
  7. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    So Luke isn't going to teach anyone the force ghost trick? Well, um, ok...I guess.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hardly the most important aspect of Star Wars.

JediMasterSven and Yanksfan like this.
  9. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

Ok...but pretty darn significant...

Darkslayer and Andy Wylde like this.
  10. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Is that something we really need to *see*? Obi Wan obviously learned how to do it, but we didn't get a scene with him sitting down and getting instruction from Qui Gon about it. Which is just fine.

11. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

Yeah, but the situation has changed. There was no Quigon originally. It turns out that the ability to extend one's life after death isn't commonplace for a Jedi...which I kind of had assumed it was up until the PT. There's untapped plot potential there. We're never told what the full extent of a force ghost's abilities are. Obi claimed it would make him "more powerful" than Vader could've "possibly imagined". Ok, well, let's see it new trilogy.

Andy Wylde and DARTH_BELO like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We already saw that in ANH. Vader was shocked when Obi-Wan disappeared.

That's "more powerful than [Vader] could possibly imagine" already.

An entire movie about the mythology of Force-ghosting sounds like a snoozer.

13. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    How about an Anthology movie about a house haunted by an ancient Force ghost. Hilarity ensues when a team of zany supernatural "experts" have to go in & exorcise the house.

14. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    How about some pesky kids go in and discover that the ghost is in fact the carnival owner, played by Ewan McGregor, covered in luminous paint?

15. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    I hope they dont abandon force ghosts. Luke is trying to rebuild the jedi order, why wouldnt he want advice from Obiwan or Anakin?

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Considering he hated the role and would care less about it, I'd say that putting Ewan in would be reasonable.

Andy Wylde and mes520 like this.
  17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Who say's?

Luke could be killed off in the ST and come back as a force ghost?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Before we get too emotionally involved in the great Force ghost debate, let's take a moment to remember two things:
    1. TFA has already been written and filmed.
    2. Noone in here is likely to have much, if any, influence on the making of EpVIII and EpIX.

Now: What I'm hoping for is a trilogy that's actually connected to the previous two in a deep, meaningful way. As the other two are connected to eachother, I mean.
    From the little I've seen of TFA, it certainly looks like a natural continuation. I'm also confident that the returning actors will make us feel right at home.
    I just hope that the movie has substance to match that of GL's movies, that it delves into the mystical side of the Star Wars mythos as well as the political side, masterfully weaving them into one captivating whole.
    For the trilogy to feel truly relevant to its predecessors, some fundamental plot threads also have to be identified, picked up and developed further. I hope that that's what they did when they wrote the script.

...but on the other hand, I could see this trilogy as the beginning of a new cycle. It could be that the Palpatine/Galactic Empire/Chosen One arc is a completely self-contained adventure and that this new adventure is only loosely connected to it. I mean, spiritually, it'll obviously be a continuation, but plot-wise, it may be a totally new thing.
    If even more trilogies are made, I won't have a problem with that at all.

What a lovely thought, though: One story arc that runs through nine episodes, forming a perfect trilogy of trilogies!

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This. I've always felt the PT was building to something, with regards to Force ghosts. I would love to learn more about it as a subplot, and see that as a main part of the way the potential new Jedi order understand the nature of the Force. A Jedi order in its entirety which understands the nature of becoming one with the Force and being able to still exist in consciousness could be among the most powerful of Jedi orders in history.

People have said they want to get back to that more mystical feeling of the Force, and it doesn't get much more "mystic" than that...

20. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I would like to see the "Force Ghost" concept continue on. I'd probably be satisfied with Yoda popping for some poignant scene. I guess it would beg the question "Where's Ben & Anakin?" but Obi-Wan did say "Yoda will always be with you." So I'd like to see that come full circle and have Luke reach out to Yoda once more.

I think it's doubtful Abrams is going to go with Ewan or Hayden in this movie. I can see the pros & cons of using them, but that's why I think Yoda is the "safe" alternative.

I'm guessing the title alone indicates there is going to be little "Force-usage" on a large scale, so there may be a reason why no Force Ghosts will be included at this point.

Andy Wylde and DARTH_BELO like this.
  21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree. In past months, I really was hoping to see a ghost Anakin in TFA. But the more I learn as time goes by (which still isn't much) I doubt it now. Their constant hammering in of the point of "reviving the OT feel" and "practical effects, practical effects, practical effects," and all that-as well as knowing how JJ feels about the PT-I've kind of given up on my hope to see that.

I felt that a ghost Anakin (as seen in ROTJ blu-ray version) could be one of the most effective ways of stringing some great continuity through all three trilogies, as well as some powerful father-son moments. But at this point, I struggle to see how it could fit into the story...

Saga Explorer and Valairy Scot like this.
  22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yes, even just a few lines spoken by a ghost or two would be a great continuity tie and all without dominating the film. I can see many ways it could fit in the story.

I also seriously doubt - especially in VII - that they want that connection, be it the actor that played the part in the "reviled PT" or the character itself, so associated with the PT (as Vader no longer exists, and Vader is more OT while Anakin is more PT).

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    An interesting compromise might be to have Ewan/Hayden provide the "voice" of their character. After all, Obi-Wan spoke to Luke as a disembodied voice half the time. Then it wouldn't be as jarring as seeing Ewan in Alec's place,but still get the same input from the character.

24. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999

Exactly, that's all I'm saying. Why do people get so defensive about it? I consider myself a Coldplay fan, for instance, because I like a lot of their best songs, but I don't actually buy their CDs or really know that much about Coldplay besides the big hits. I wouldn't really tell people I'm a huge Coldplay fan, even though I would tell them Coldplay is probably one of my favorite bands. I'm just not a big music guy, as far as knowing all of the history of a band, every song, going to tons of concerts, etc.

If you think you're a Star Wars fan, you are a Star Wars fan, at least to some extent. I think we can all agree that fandom comes in many forms! I don't want to be *THAT GUY* who throws around "true fan" back and forth. All I am saying is if you only like 2 or 3 movies out of 6, you're by definition not that big of a fan of Star Wars as a whole. I mean, that's LITERALLY the definition of the word and how it is used. I can't say, "I'm a big fan of Kim Kardashian, but I really hate her TV shows and her butt is just way too big. Otherwise, though, yeah, totally! Big fan." That makes no sense and you know it. You WERE a huge fan of Star Wars, before the prequels. Now you're a Star Wars fan who is hoping that the sequels are better and that you can be a big fan of the new movies. You're still a Star Wars fan, by all means, but to say you're a huge fan doesn't quite work because then when someone says, "Oh, cool, let's go watch the prequels," and you have to say, "Well I'm really not a fan of the prequels," get it? NOT A FAN of them.

It's like... I'm not sure why this is a tough concept to grasp, really. I don't get it. There's nothing to argue about because we're talking about facts here, dictionary definitions, not opinions.

Andy Wylde and Obi-John Kenobi like this.
  25. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    Yeah, I know what you're saying. I think the bottom line is one should profess to be a "Huge OT Star Wars Fan" if they intend to dismiss three other canonical films in the line. That was my point. The term "Huge Fan" isn't really one size fits all.

Another example would be saying "I'm a HUGE fan of the Red Sox.........but only in years where they have a championship caliber team....." Are you sure you're a real Red Sox fan then?

Andy Wylde and mes520 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.