main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Do Luke and the other Rebellion pilots get paid?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi of Baker Street, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I was wondering yesterday if Han's reward was ever explained in the Expanded Universe. I guess I could post a topic on that or look it up.

2. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    It is likely a Dune reference where mind altering spice is very valuable, required for space travel, and only found on the titled desert planet which is full of giant worms that attack miners.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Slicer87

That's undoubtedly where the inspiration came for, but did the also use spice in the Dune novels as a form of payment?

4. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013

Not that I can remember off hand, but there are spice smugglers. One of the major characters escapes being killed in a large attack by joining up with spice smugglers. Moreover, there is a lot of history as well as Dune in Star Wars.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    G-canon EU:

Star Wars Radio Dramatization

Leia: Captain Solo may have no morals whatsoever, Commander, but he's right. Both Luke and I promised him payment for his and Chewbacca's help in this matter.
    Willard: Very well, I see I misjudged you, Solo.
    Han: I'll cry later. Right now, I'll settle for cash. In small, used notes if you've got 'em.
    Willard: But this is a Rebel camp! We're hunted people, with very little Imperial currency among us!
    Han: Oh. Well, your tech facilities must have stocks of precious metals.
    Willard: Yes...
    Han: They'll do.
    Willard: But those are critical matériel! We need those metals for repairs, to keep our weapons and equipment functioning!

A New Hope: Junior novelization

Stepping down to the hangar floor, Luke found Han and Chewbacca loading small boxes onto an armored military speeder. The boxes contained precious metals, the only form of currency that Han would accept from the Alliance. Han had insisted on the payment, even though the Rebels desperately needed the materials for repairing starships and equipment. Han appeared to be completely ignoring the activity of the Rebel flight crews and pilots.

Newcanon:

A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel and the Farm Boy

“We don’t keep that sort of money lying around,” Commander Willard said. “And this is…we need every cent to keep up our operations.”
    “I’m willing to accept the amount in precious metals if you don’t have the credits on hand,” Han said, crossing his arms over his chest. “Come on, pal, you don’t want word to get around that the Rebellion can’t honor their debts, do you? No one would be willing to do business with you.”
    “Give him whatever he wants,” Leia said stiffly. The look she shot Han could have incinerated half the Death Star. “The sooner he gets it, the sooner he’s gone.”

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  6. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    Well that explains the cases.

7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Gotta love Leia.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2017
    I read a book called 'Salt: A World History' by Mark Kurlansky (sp) years ago, it was mostly about food. Roman soldiers were indeed paid in salt, which was quite valuable in the ancient world. That's where the phrase 'worth his salt' comes from believe it or not.

Spice was definitely a Dune reference as has been said, GL had all kinds of things he pilfered in early drafts for The Star Wars (such as a piece of dialogue from Tolkien).

9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    "Right now, I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."
    "I know what you mean."

10. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013

In which case, the empire could spread around fake rebel dept securities to bankrupt them.

11. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I'm sure they get pretty good wages.