Do movie reviews determine whether or not you'll see a movie?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Kyptastic, Feb 7, 2007.

?

Do movie reviews determine whether you'll see a movie or not

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
Yes 6 vote(s) 7.5%
Sometimes 36 vote(s) 45.0%
No, never 18 vote(s) 22.5%
Depends on the Reviewer 13 vote(s) 16.3%
I'd like to get a review of this poll before I vote 7 vote(s) 8.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 5
    Well, it depends on the reviewer. If I've agreed in the past, then I'll probably agree with them again.

I actually watch movies based on trailers. And many bad movies have good trailers, sadly. I Heart Huckabees was alright, but the trailer made me think, "Hey! A Comedy Movie!" It was not.

Other movies have had bad trailers, but end up as good movies.

And all reviews of Constantine were negative. That was a good movie!

2. Jensaarai1219 Force Ghost

star 4
    I was going to say no but then I realized I had to pick "I'd like to get a review of this poll before I vote" because I almost always read through all of the comments before voting, and sometimes check them again before posting a reply.
  3. ZekksGoddess Force Ghost

star 4
    Eh, sometimes. My opinions on movies are usually so in-depth and twisted that I look at it from 50 different sides.
  4. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    To be fair, I'd like to get a review of this poll before I vote.
  5. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
  6. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
  7. morrison85 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well I actually do first read or look a preview before watching a fiilm
  8. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Sometimes.

If I really want to see a movie, I don't care about the reviews. But if there's a movie out that I sort of want to see, I'll see if the reviews are good or not.
  9. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Sometimes - Usually only if a movie that I wouldn't otherwise see gets a good review, I'm more inclined to see it.
  10. The_Crow Jedi Master

star 4
  11. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    sometimes, if i read them at all. but sometimes the review only serves to amplify my desire to see the film.
  12. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    For me, a resounding yes. I check Metacritic on a weekly basis. If a film scores above a 90, I will definitely see it. High scores (above a 70) mean I'll look into a film, even if I know little about it - these scores help me find films I otherwise might not discover. If I'm already interested in a film, scores might be the decisive factor - if two films come out that I'm interested in, I'll probably see the one that scores higher. If a film I'm interested in scores poorly, I'll reconsider.

I used to doubt the critics. But over time I've found that (as long as one examines what the critics say and looks beyond the score to the actual text of the review) 99% of the time, the general consensus of the critics is a pretty good one. A lot of people believe the critics are pompous tools who disdain films such as action and fantasy films. This is a lie.

Sure, I disagree with the critics on small things. However, I find critical reviews to be a very good indicator of whether or not a film is worth my time and money.
  13. Jada Chapter Rep Charlotte, NC

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    It depends on the reviewer.
  14. Darth_Chuckles Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, but usually I do the opposite. If reviewers can't stand a movie, there is a good chance I'll like it.
  15. Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sometimes. But for the most time I like to find out myself if the movie is good or not.
  16. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Always **** I'm much more picky about what I want to spend my time and money watching. I need to know a movie is worth it before I watch it and reviews are the best way to go.
  17. sweetcaroline Jedi Master

star 4
  18. KissMeImARebel Force Ghost

star 4
    Eh, it depends. If it's a movie I'm on the fence about, I'll check out the reviews and see what they say. If it is something I really want to see (or don't) I'll decide for myself.
  19. crash_slayer Jedi Knight

star 3
    Never, i don't even check the reviews. Everybody has their own taste in movies and i don't feel somebody i don't even know can rightfully tell me that i wont like a movie. [face_peace]
  20. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I generally check Rottentomatoes before going to see a film. It doesn't always sway me, but it often holds weight. Not always the score, but if I see that many reviewers are saying something that would make me not want to spend money I take it into consideration. Likewise if something looks kind of interesting and it gets outstanding reviews I'll be more likely to go see it than if it has a 13% fresh rating.
  21. CaptSparrow Jedi Master

star 4
    No, never. If I'm excited about a movie, I'll go see it.
  22. Eleventh_Guard Force Ghost

star 5
    Generally not, but if the reviews are overwhelmingly bad and there's information in them to suggest that the film contains stuff I personally wouldn't like (stuff not obvious from the trailers/posters/etc.) then I might skip it.
  23. Alpha-02 Jedi Master

star 4
    Pretty much never, I'd much rather watch a movie myself and form my own opinions. Films I've liked have been panned, films have been highly praised which I've hated and everything else in between.
  24. piratedreamer Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sometimes. If I'm unsure about the movie, then a horrible review will most likely steer me away...unless I really, REALLY want to see it.
  25. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    Sometimes. They didn't keep me from seeing "Spider-Man 3", but they did keep me from seeing "Ghost Rider". Just for an example.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.