main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Do not assume anything...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Mystery Roach, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah I'm beginning to agree with you. I was trying to have my cake and eat it too in regards to being able to tell an original story while leaving the EU intact. The gap between the third and fifth generations seemed like a good place to tell a story that the EU wouldn't intrude upon, but the more I look into it the more impossible this seems. Even if you focused on the next generation removed from the Skywalker/Solo children, it would just be strange to not have their parents involved. And even more than that I'm beginning to see that the events of the NJO are too monumental to ignore, so I don't think there's really any way to work around it. But I will say that if they are going to pave over the EU, I hope they go all the way with it and start fresh with all new characters, because more than anything, when it comes down to it I just sort of detest the names Jacen and Jaina, and that whole generation has way too much baggage now anyway.

Echo-07 likes this.
  2. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm becoming more convinced that Episodes 7-9 won't take place that far into the future after all, however I'm also becoming equally convinced that Episodes 10-12 are already in the works and that they will take a significant leap forward, so maybe I was partly right anyway.

yodasbum likes this.
  3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Too much baggage?

4. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yes. Too much has happened with that generation of characters for them to appear in the movies without either resetting their stories completely or totally bogging the movies down with exposition, because I don't think you can just pick up their story where it left off and ignore everything that's happened in the books, and I think the events in those books have too many repercussions to be able to be used as back story for the new movies.

5. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Rats. Foiled again! I just watched that Iger/Lucas video again, and at the end Lucas does clearly say that 7,8 and 9 are the end of the Trilogy, so if they are already working on 10-12 then I have no idea how they're being conceived of in relation to the rest of the Saga. I do still think they will take a big leap forward in time though, so maybe 7-9 bring the current story to a definitive end, while still leaving room for other stories to be told afterwards. Like maybe you could think of 1-9 as one long movie, and then 10-12 (and beyond?) as a sequel or sequels to that movie. Actually, now that I think of it, I kind of like that idea a lot.

6. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes, I've pondered Lucas' words about "Final trilogy." It could mean the final trilogy of his involvement. I say that because what purpose would "passing on the torch to a new generation" mean if there was only 3 more films??? The Big 3 could theoretically be involved in all 3 if this is in fact the end. So I DO BELIEVE the ST is the bridge to continuing the series with new heroes, just the end for George.

7. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I was just trying to give life meaning, I guess I'll crawl in hole and die now. Nothing means anything we can't assume anything. I'm a terrible person and deserve to die, maybe...there's no way to entertain the notion it's possible I'm a good person. We can't assume that, we can't even assume that the world isn't going to end . Or even assume that it's possible or likely Luke Skywalker will be in the new films.
    Let's just make a thread about anti discussion that goes under the guise of not making assumptions about Star Wars episodes VII VIII IX but that still makes lots of assumptions about making assumptions...

Let's through out the window all the intuitive processes of creativity, research and scientific evidence out of the window in the eye of the uncertainty principle and just post about how we can't speculate on a forum with threads that are labeled speculation...

I'm going to go kill myself now.

8. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Technically he said "the end of the trilogy", and not "final trilogy". Subtle but important difference there. I do think he's involved in both of the next two trilogies, only 7-9 is the end of one story while 10-12 is the beginning of a new one.

Echo-07 likes this.
  9. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Actually that's a very good point.

If we know anything about this current process sis that words are carefully chosen and information has been closely guarded by the folks at Disney/LFL.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  10. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I apologize if I've caused you distress. That wasn't exactly my intention with this thread. I mainly just thought it was odd that everyone had accepted a consensus interpretation of information that doesn't necessarily lead to a single conclusion, and so I tried to posit an alternate scenario, but in the end I failed miserably and had to rethink the whole thing anyway.

11. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    No problem, man. No stres, no worries. Its all good speculation. ;)

My only point was that nobody was contriving any theories about the Big 3 out of thin air, just by what was being reported, which all seemed highly likely. If anything about the future episodes and future generations, George said he gave Disney enough material to keep making SW movies for the next 100 years. We could see the Skywalker saga go on for another 10 films.

12. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I never said they were pulling theories out of thin air... my only point was just to say that the scenario that had been accepted as fact might not be a foregone conclusion.

13. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    And it's still not a forgone conclusion, which i agree with you on. We still don't know for sure what role the Big 3 will play. We still don't know for sure they will appear. Nothing's been confirmed. All just rumor still. Just everything seems to be pointing in that direction.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  14. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Well, be quick about it. We haven't got all day.

15. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    And that's all I was ever trying to say. I just got a bit sidetracked by the theory I concocted to illustrate that point (And also to figure out if there was any way to please the EU fans and haters at the same time. There isn't. Oh well).

16. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    I was just joking. But isn't that kind of harsh? :confused:

Anyways I better things to do with my time than to kill myself. I'm actually quite busy but had time to make silly posts in threads. It's all good carry on gents. I just thought I'd throw some fire on this thread. I can see why it was created even if the explanation was kind of too well written for a forum post.

17. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I think I'll take that as a compliment. :p

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread took a very very dark turn quickly.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  19. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Frankly I don't believe it will even be called Episode VII. I think that is a decoy and that the new films will have nothing to do with the story Lucas told except as reference to a legend. And personally speaking, I would prefer that. I think a much stronger tale could be culled from an entirely new story line, rather than tacking something more onto the existing one; particularly because the conflict centered around Anakin Skywalker is resolved.

20. Rogue_1138

Rogue_1138 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    I wouldn't give up on your theory so quickly. While I agree that it would certainly be challenging to pull off, and that it may well be for the best if they don't attempt to do so, a writer with carte blanche can do a lot of damage in a single book (See: Vector Prime, Star by Star). I know this contradicts the title of the thread, but if you make the assumption that this plan has been in development for a number of years, then it's conceivable that Denning could have a very specific task to accomplish with Crucible in order to reconcile the EU with the ST.

Again, though, it's certainly a stretch.

21. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

It would be sad to render alot of the EU void for 1 character ( Chewbacca ) if he's not important to the story then leave him dead .

22. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

It just seems to be a bit of a coincidence the Cruicible is coming out just 2 yrs before EP7 & the book centers around the big 3...maybe Denning was told to write a book like this as a tie in to the ST.....and also it can't be a coincidence that there is a gap in the EU from 45ABY to 100ABY ! which just happens to be a perfect fit for EP 7 , 8 & 9 and also 10 , 11 & 12 .

23. Rogue_1138

Rogue_1138 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    It relies on a number of assumptions and could easily prove to be incorrect, but this is my reasoning as well.

24. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Not only should people stop assuming, but people should stop taking every little comment so seriously, jeez. Carrie Fisher was clearly just playing along with the pesky guy asking her questions in that video clip.

25. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    Carrie Fisher can't take herself seriously so perhaps we shouldn't take her seriously all the time. But yes, some of the time we should.