main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Do our icons have to be limited to Star Wars?"...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by big_boss_nass, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    I've noticed alot of people have been talking about how they like their new Halloween icons so much. So instead of limiting icons to only holidays as proposed in this thread, I think we should have a vote on different kinds of icons, that expand outside of Star Wars.

We could have voting on different catagories such as Horror, Comedy, ect... I'm sure most people would love to see a Mini Me icon here, or a Hannibal Lecter icon there. I'm not saying we have to delete all the Star Wars icons, because if there is a change in mind over the icon situation, there's almost a 100% chance icons will be deleted.

Or there's another way to settle things, which don't think will work at all, you can add a feature, like at gonkdroid.com which allows members to upload their own icons.

Just an idea.

2. Moan_of_the_Moons

Moan_of_the_Moons Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2002
    Well, this is a SW board primarily. I think we should have a few icons that are not SW-related but still related to Lucasfilm, like an Indiana Jones icon or a Willow icon. But nothing outside of that except for the holidays.

3. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    I do understand that it is a Star Wars board, that's why we keep half the icons if not 75% of them Star Wars. I say we have people vote on what they like best. after all it is called Your Jedi Council Community.

4. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Well that is true, arguably this forum's most popular, and active board, doesn't contain Star Wars discussion.

SOME non-Star Wars icons might be appropriate.

5. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Where you see Your Jedi Council Community, I see Your Jedi Council Community. Basically, I see that this site revolves around Star Wars, and that there isn't really a reason to have non Star Wars icons.

I suppose I don't really care, as long as they don't delete my icon. :p

6. Ghouled-Scarlacc

Ghouled-Scarlacc Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    * takes YodaJeff's icon and throws into a pool of hot "mag-ma". *

7. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    personally i think it's cooler to only get them occasionally than to have them year round. that way the novelty doesn't wear out.

8. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    personally i think it's cooler to only get them occasionally than to have them year round. that way the novelty doesn't wear out.

True, but we wouldn't have Halloween icons year round, just non-sw icons.

But,I do think that these boards cannot continue to exist without a Kevin Spacey icon.

9. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    i'm not talking about the halloween ones, i'm talking about the non-SW ones :p

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    See, once we start allowing non-SW icons, there will be too many requests for an icon that only one or two people would use (*cough* Kevin Spacey *cough*). Everyone would want their own icon, and it would be hard to decide which ones would be used.

11. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    That's true, but the lack of Lord of the Rings icons, until this Halloween update, is shocking. LOTR is probably the second most discussed work of fiction on these boards.

There should be some exceptions.

12. HAl-9000

HAl-9000 Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2002
    like an Indiana Jones icon or a Willow icon. But nothing outside of that except for the holidays.

What about LucasArts game icons that are non-Star Wars.... could some possibly be uploaded too?

13. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I don't know, I had a feeling that the massive Halloween icon upload might open up a can of worms so it is probably best to keep it where it's at. But I wouldn't mind seeing a few non-SW icons, to be honest.

GO 'CLONES!

14. Moan_of_the_Moons

Oct 1, 2002
    "What about LucasArts game icons that are non-Star Wars.... could some possibly be uploaded too?"

I'll have to ask Ghouled-Sarlacc for confirmation, but I believe we are keeping the non-SW LucasArts icons that were uploaded for Halloween.

15. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    There should be some exceptions.

That statement is fraught with problems. To say that there should be "some" exceptions implies that some non-SW icons could be allowed while others aren't.

It would quickly lead to cries of favoritism when some members request and receive a special icon that they like and another member is denied his/her choice of icon.

Plus there's the logistical nightmare of potentially thousands of members each requesting a personal icon.

It's so much simpler to stick to SW icons except for special occasions and save the headache.

16. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I say we stick to SW-only icons except for special occasions. (As much as I LOVE the Halloween icons.)

I realize that LOTR icons are a popular idea, so here are my suggestions:

(1) Upload my Christopher-Lee-as-Saruman icon on my site here--sorry for the shameless plug. After all, Mr. Lee fits under "real people" involved in SW.

(2) Have someone make some cute little icons of Jedi hobbits or Yoda as a dwarf or something

(3) Treat the release of T2T in theaters as a special event and have some special LOTR icons for that week

Rick McCallum loves you!

17. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    Personally, I [face_love] my Mary Jane icon, and it would be a shame to only get to use it once a year, but in the end, people would request icons that only they would use. (For example, Kevin Spacey, no offese, Solojones) I think it would just get too complicated. Maybe if we just kept it limited to movies? That way we could have LotR, Spidey, and maybe even Kevin Spacey. ;)

18. Moan_of_the_Moons

Oct 1, 2002
    "Treat the release of T2T in theaters as a special event and have some special LOTR icons for that week"

As much as I would love to see that happen, I'm afraid we'd be too busy with our Christmas plans to devote any time to that.

19. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Okay, then put Gandalf in a Santa hat.

EDIT: Originally this was meant a joke, but actually, it seems oddly fitting. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

20. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I really like these new icons but I don't think they should stay around after Halloween. I agree with the notion that they will lose their appeal if we have them all the time. It stays fresh if it's only a special occasion. I don't think we should open up the additional can of worms by allowing non-SW icons to be uploaded. There are just too many of us for that to happen. I say keep it the way it is and keep doing icon turnover when better ones are submitted.

21. Ghouled-Scarlacc

Ghouled-Scarlacc Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    All the Halloween icons will be removed on Saturday night except for the Games-related ones.

22. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I really hope you guys keep the "JC Ghost" icon too. That works just as well as the "JC Sock".

23. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Does that mean we get to keep the Purple Tentacle icon?

If so, then I suggest creating Benard, Laverne, Oggie, Green Tentacle, and Dr. Ed.

Heck, why not just create a DOTT icon category!

:p

24. MyHalloweenSock

MyHalloweenSock Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2002
    I second that motion, eclipse.

25. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I think an LA Games section should be created, if one doesn't exist already. I want my Sam & Max icon! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.