main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do people ever talk about how good this little touch in Revenge of the Sith is?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Lantern, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    When Padme confronts Anakin near the end of Revenge of the Sith, as the two of them talk the screen briefly cuts to Padme's ship and we see Obi-wan staring down at Anakin (it's a super brief shot) with a look of utter disappointment and disapproval unlike any look we've ever seen from Obi-wan before. It's just awesome.

Really great little touch.

The shot then quickly cuts back to Padme and Anakin talking then once Anakin has seen Obi-wan and yells "liar" we see Obi-wan beginning to come out of the ship to confront him.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Everything Ewan McGregor does in that movie is awesome I think....but yeah this whole sequence and really the end of this movie is one of my favorite parts of the entire saga.

3. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    Yeah Ewan was great. He deserves a spin-off movie

candymove, Tanjint, DBPirate and 9 others like this.
  4. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    The nuaces of facial expression and body language in the scene you described and many others are why I so adore McGregor as Obi-Wan.
    My favorite is when he Force open the doors on Kamino.

5. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    ROTS is my third favorite star wars film and Ewan McGregor is one of those reasons. :)

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Yes -- I think it's a great moment.

You'll notice, which you seem to have, that Obi-Wan kind of assumes a "Superman" pose in that shot, with an aura of, "What have we got here, then?"

This sort of visual disapproval goes back to AOTC, where Obi-Wan is, at several points, framed looking down at a kind of "chaos" or "madness" happening below. Here are a few examples:

- A moment during the speeder chase when Obi-Wan is flying low, and, seeming to spot Anakin running wildly after Zam, pops the gear stick, preparing to make a quick landing.
    - Drawn to a strange sound of rhythmic churning, Obi-Wan spies a droid factory on Geonosis, leaning over the edge for a high-up view, with a vague look of confusion or disapproval washing over his face.
    - In the same sequence, Obi-Wan comes upon a secret meeting and listens to Dooku and gathered dignitaries from the rafters, which forms part of a wipe to Anakin, who is also looking down from a high height, unconsciously planning to commit mass murder.

I remember one person on here once observing that Obi-Wan is like the "human being" interrupting the "demi-gods", Anakin and Padme, failing to comprehend their struggles, and being drawn into a gruesome conflict -------------> a conflict that he inflames.

It's more complicated, this prequel trilogy, than a first viewing can possibly suggest.

IMO, anyway.

7. JohnnyAmato

JohnnyAmato Jedi Padawan

Nov 19, 2013
    That quick visual of Obi-Wan standing there is one of my favorite visuals of the entire saga. Very powerful image, the timing is impeccable. Full of emotion, everything comes full-circle at that moment. His stance alone says everything.

Amazing.

I also love how he pats a frantic 3PO on the shoulder as he is getting on board. Nice play on his character.

8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's more complicated than any number of viewings would suggest, Cryo

9. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    A great scene indeed. ATOC and ROTS are as much Obi-Wan's story as Anakin's in my opinion.

10. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I love that scene. I recite it word for word all the time. The emotion there is unrivaled. None of the Sith, Palpatine, Maul, Dook or OT Vader show as much rage as Anakin shows in that scene. It's the final build-up of the negative emotions he has towards Obi-Wan that he has been keeping in for years. It's the sequel to his rage at his mothers death, but now it is unbridled by his freedom from the ways of the Jedi.

11. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    It is a great scene. However, where you see superman, I saw the disappointed and stern father that just caught his son doing something bad.

12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Oh, there's that, too.

But what is Superman if not a barrel-chested, stern, moralizing patriarch?

And let's not forget Obi-Wan's "George Reeves"-style spring-jump out of Padme's bedroom window, to fearlessly grab hold of the bug-delivery droid, in AOTC.

There is a clear symbolic link between these moments, too. "You're using her as bait?"

In a way, the prequel trilogy is an elaborate deconstruction of superheroes and masculine power.

Andy Wylde and mikeximus like this.
  13. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

I was never into the super hero/comics as a kid. So my experiences with that are limited at best.

I just saw it as continuing the theme of the Father/Son relationship between Obi Wan and Anakin.

Andy Wylde and Cryogenic like this.
  14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it's awesome, there's a lot of awesomeness in that movie.

haleyorgana likes this.
  15. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Ewan was just basically perfection in the PT. He couldn't save the movies, but he did his very best.

This shot is actually one of my favourites, it shows just how serious Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi is about takin' care of business. Makes the heart rush, cause you know things are about to get right serious.

Darth Dementor and haleyorgana like this.
  16. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    The actors in the PT were great. Everyone was pretty perfect in their role. I think there were tons of "little moments" - but then I love the PT so...

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Eh, I didn't like the "disappointment" expression on Obi-Wan's face. Disappointment is not the proper emotion to display there...the proper emotion should be absolute horror at what Anakin's done. When Obi-Wan last spoke to Anakin he basically says, "you've become a fine Jedi, and I'm proud of you". You don't go from a statement like that to being merely "disappointed" with somebody.

18. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I sure hope they give him a spin off.

19. M'lady Padme Skywalker

M'lady Padme Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2014
    He was definitely the heart and soul of ROTS

20. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    Even though the Prequel Trilogy is ultimately Anakin's story (and behind the scenes Palpatine's story of his rise to power), ironically the real hero of these Prequels is Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan goes through the more traditional hero's journey as he is also tempted by evil, in this case while in capture under Count Dooku in Attack of the Clones ("Join me, and together we can destroy the Sith!"), yet he does not succumb to temptation of power. Obi-Wan remains true to his ideals, even when the temptation of power is thrown at him while under duress.

It may miss most people, but Obi-Wan is actually the real hero of the Prequel Trilogy.

Inanna, dagenspear, DBPirate and 4 others like this.
  21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    That moment was fabulous. Just another example of the excellent and subtle acting from Ewan.

And it is because of Obi-Wan's heroism that I can enjoy the PT. Another vote up for at least one spin off film. Ewan was fantastic.

Ananta Chetan and Palpatine77 like this.
  22. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    What I really liked about that scene is how Obi Wan was still calm and he then walked down with the intent to bring Anakin to the right side of things knowing exactly what Anakin has done to get himself right there. Obi Wan was still willing to help Anakin. This is just one more example of how Obi Wan viewed Anakin. As a friend. It seems that Obi Wan thru the years had some of Anakin's ways rubbing off on him, more so than the other way around. Like when Obi Wan watches as Anakin put on to the council without being a master. It looked as if Obi Wan knew that Anakin was sort of right in a way, because Obi Wan knew Anakin's skills better than anyone else there. If Anakin wasn't so close to the chancellor he would have made a master while being put on the council.

Iron_lord and Darth Zannah like this.
  23. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Sorry double post

24. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Indeed, I love that shot. I love everything Ewan did with Obi-wan. He was the best part of the prequels, and he's one of my favorite actors ever.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    He was horrified. Don't forget:

"I must know the truth, Master....... It can't be. It can't be!"

From there, he went to stern disapproval because he had to steel himself in order to do his duty and confront the man he considered a brother.