main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do people ever talk about how good this little touch in Revenge of the Sith is?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Lantern, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Yes. He was still dealing with the shock of it; suppressing emotion in order to "get the job done".

Which, as a bookish, dedicated-to-the-cause Jedi, is very in-keeping with the kind of character Obi-Wan was/is.

Always that bit square and conservative, in spite of personal growth across the films... putting duty ahead of attachments and people (somewhat opposite to Anakin).

If Obi-Wan seems a little aloof to what happened, that's sort of the point. He had a mission to carry out, and despite briefly objecting, he felt he had no choice but to carry it out for the greater good.

Which you can view as heroic and slightly villainous -- or at least tragic -- at the same time. The beauty of the PT.

JMO.

2. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    That scene is so good.

3. fives_is_alive

fives_is_alive Jedi Knight

Jun 13, 2014
    Everyone here is spot on. Ewan Mcgregor made Obi-Wan one of my favorite Star Wars characters ever. The way he portrayed his character brought such personality. I can't think of anyone else who could have done Obi-Wan justice.

4. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I also love the symbolism there. You have Obi-Wan awash in the light of heaven, and then there's Vader, standing in darkness and surrounded by the fires of hell.

ShaneP likes this.
  5. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    It gets even better when you visualize it.

[​IMG]

"You disappoint me. Time for a little correction" [face_shame_on_you]

MJ

jakobitis89 and mes520 like this.
  6. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    When you see that, before they even speak to each other, well before they ever draw lightsabers and get down to duelling, Obi-Wan is going to END THIS. One way or the other. Or that's how I feel anyway!

7. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucas really doesn't get enough credit for what a genius he is when it comes to visual storytelling. Most movies these days, you pretty much have to hear the dialogue and the music if you want to have any hope of knowing what's going on. But with Star Wars, all you need is a single frame, and you can just feel the story and the emotion being captured in that moment. There are very few "throwaway" shots in Lucas's films.

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Also Anakin was staring towards the same light (the sun), just before Padme arrives. This shows to me that at that point, he still thinks he's doing the right thing. However, he starts cying, and turns away from the light to go visit Padme, so his desire for power is still stronger than his conscience.

I hope that makes sense anyway. I'm not that great at the symbolism thing. :p

KaminoPalomino and mes520 like this.
  9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

[​IMG]

Well, the sun is in the process of being blacked out by an eclipse. Anakin is sad because he can see his bright future slipping away right before his eyes, and there's nothing he can do to stop it. That's why he's crying. He's having one small moment of self-awareness.

That's another great thing about the series of shots I put up in my last post. When only Obi-Wan is in the shot, it looks as if the sun might yet emerge from its eclipse. There's a chance Obi-Wan can reach Anakin and turn back the encroaching darkness. But then we get a shot of Anakin's turned back, surrounded by the boiling fires of Hell. Then the next shot in the sequence is this:

[​IMG]

There is nothing but anger and hatred on Anakin's face. Obi-Wan has failed to reach him. As a result, the light of the sun has once again been blotted out, for good this time.

Or so it seems:

[​IMG]

Defensor, jaex, QuangoFett and 8 others like this.
  10. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    To reply to the OP:

I agree. That's easily one of the best moments of the film and of the saga.

Alienware likes this.
  11. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I've always loved that moment before the fight ensues. Kenobi looks so badass in that moment.

Jedi_Lantern likes this.
  12. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001

Lucas was very inspired by the silent movies. Star Wars is a great example of telling a story primarily through visuals and music, maybe the best since the 1960s. Even if I wish he got some help with dialogue to match those visuals - but oh well, no one is perfect. And it's not as if there're lot of blockbusters these days with top-notch acting and screenplay.

13. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    McGregor is just awesome period. He's easily one of the best actors in the saga. All the subtle stuff is what makes Star Wars so great in the end.

Wow, awesome catch, The_Phantom_Calamari. That's so cool!

Jedi_Lantern likes this.
  14. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001

Looks like a religions painting, doesn't it? You can easily imagine a restored Jedi Temple featuring the whole scene in frescoes.

Dagobah_Dude likes this.
  15. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    He really is awesome. I really want to see him again somewhere in the new movies. The most common idea for that is having Ewan play Obi-Wan in one of the spin-off movies set before ANH. And there is a ton of potential there for an awesome movie. But you could also revisit the prequel era and have an Obi-Wan movie set during the CW. That idea is less likely, but I don't think anyone figured the first spin-off SW movie would be about capturing Death Star plans so who knows?

Obi-Wan is my fav SW character largely due to Ewan's stuff with that role

16. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    This and when he says so brokenly later on during their fight, "I have failed you, Anakin." Right in the feels!

17. Jedi of Mandalore

Jedi of Mandalore Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    I've seen the Star Wars saga countless times but it never ceases to amaze me how I constantly discover new things.

Evening Star and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Ewan was terrific in the prequels. In a way he got better as he went through the films as the character grew from Padawan to Knight to Master. He was also completely how Obi-Wan would have been in his younger years based on Sir Alec. It's all the little touches, "Hello there!", the beard stroking, all spot on.

Evening Star likes this.
  19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Dammit The_Phantom_Calamari, you've made me find newfound respect for these scenes.

I really wish George had followed through on his Silent Edition of the PT.

Jedi_Lantern likes this.
  20. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016

Ewan doesn't get enough respect for mind. His performance was a standout in ROTS!

Jedi_Lantern likes this.
  21. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    What is this?

22. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    Just had to comment to say I love this thread. So many interesting insights.

Sith is a movie that truly gets better for me every single time. I never fully appreciated until a few years ago just how truly operatic it is -- as in, akin to an actual opera, and that that was probably a not-insignificant reason why I've always liked it so much. I have watched and listened to a lot of opera in my lifetime. This movie is right at home alongside many of them, except that, INSANELY, this movie is happening in a Fake Crazy Universe where people have MAGIC POWERS and special laser swords. Also there's space battles. And aliens. I mean, what the hell? God, Lucas is a nutcase and I just love him for it.

Sepra and Evening Star like this.
  23. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I think Ewan is absolutely fantastic in the PT. He IS Obi Wan. But.. I'll be the naysayer here: Obi Wan messed up badly by showing himself in the less appropriate moment. I was always wonder what would happen if Obi Wan has appeared few minutes later. What would Padme do? What would Anakin do? I'm sure he didn't choke her at all.
    But the good baddies as Obi made big mistakes also.

24. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

Do you feel that Window jumping scene was more in character for Anakin to do instead of Obi?

25. haterofnone

haterofnone Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    But
    bur according to interviews he hated the "all blue screen" sets and the prequels.