main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do people like Padme?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by CarbonKnight, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I have nothing against Natalie Portman, and she has had a couple of good scenes...I just find her character very boring and dull, and it takes many minutes away from more interesting characters.

She is no Princess Leia thats for sure.

2. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    I love Padmé. Next to Leia, she's my favorite female SW character. :)

3. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    Padme's one of my favorite characters in the whole saga. :)

*SB*

4. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    I'm not big on Padme, the queen/senator/gunslinger/pacifist/droid finishing/temptress, Gl is trying to hard to make her character to many things and in the end she's not much of anything.

Padme should not of been a queen or a senator, she should've been the Han solo of the prequels, and the important dignatary who needs protecting should have been Bail Organa.

Padme is dull (but admitly nice to look at)

5. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I like her.

6. JediDugan

JediDugan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2001
    I like Padme.

Alot.

But seriously...

I think the CHARACTER of Padme is very well thought out, and unique to the Star Wars saga.

It's important, for Anakin's downfall, that she not be your conventional damsel in distress/2D heroine. The relationship is complex so the characters need to be.

7. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    I like her. The mother of Luke and Leia had to be in the Prequals, so I don't mind her character at all. :)

Tayschrenn

8. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Leia is lame. I never liked her. Padme is better. Leia is a itch and Padme is actually smart.

9. QuiGonJinn84

QuiGonJinn84 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 1999
    Padme is Anakin's constant, his guiding light in the prequels. She does a great job of being his guardian angel and that is her character.

She may not have the 'spunk' of Leia, but she is really supposed to be a vessel of love, pure and simple. For that the character comes across wonderfully and I like her.

She may be involved in Anakin's turn, but she also prevents it and holds it off. Had she not been with him when Shmi died he probably would have turned then and there. Anakin needs love. There are two women he unconditionally loves - Padme and Shmi. He loses both for ten years, then gains both back in a week. One dies, if the other wasnt there to stay with him it would have been too much. Padme saves him, but when he loses her somehow it will throw him over the edge.

The difference between Luke and Anakin is that Anakin's fate is overseen by an evil force (Palpatine). Lukes is overseen by a good force (Yoda and Obi-Wan). Everything that happens to Anakin happens to Luke - but it happens to Luke in a way that inspires him to do good, what happens to Anakin happens in a way that makes it so easy to choose evil. Padme is the one thing that keeps Anakin from allowing the evil to consume him completely, even when he turns to the dark side. Why would he want Luke so badly? Because he sees Padme in him. He has more compassion for the fact that he cant destroy Padme's child, then the compassion for the fact that he cant destory his own child. Well thats what I think anyway :)

10. Darth_Pseudomorph

Darth_Pseudomorph Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    I have two hunches (that are based on some other parts I have seen her in). She is a VERY talented actress, not to mention very attractive.

But the script just doesn't do her justice. With lines like that, you've got to be Dustin Hoffman to pull it off. She also seems just....bored stiff with the movie.

Remember her in The Professional...an excellent start at acting, I thought!

11. Dayda_Amidala

Dayda_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    Well, she's my favorite character

12. NORTHSTAR

NORTHSTAR Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    CarbonKnight - You rock for bring this topic up.

For me Natalie Portman has RUINED Star Wars. She was OK in TPM, but after seeing AOTC, I think she is the worst actress in the world and I think her performance was dreadful!

I was so embarrassed I could hardly watch the screen. How do you compare her to Carrie Fisher? And now George is going to add her to the DVD ROTJ. I swear I would rather watch Jar Jar than watch her struggle to read her lines off of cue cards.

Your right Natalie Portman is a Beautiful young women (and probably a decent actress in other movies), but she doesn't belong in Star Wars in my opinion.

Thanks for asking you made my day.

13. CarbonKnight

CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Now while I'm not extreme in my dislike for Natalie Portman (I admit I had a slight crush on her when Episode 1 came out), I don't think she is star material. I've seen her on 3 notable magazine covers this month alone, all this from an actress whose only memorable role with the mainstream is in Star Wars. She's a pretty face, I have no doubts, but her acting in Episode 1 and 2 was awful at best... she is under the impression that she will be a star regardless of her acting... which is true unfortunately. While I liked Hayden for the role, I won't deny the fact that some of the time he came off flat. I got the impression that whilst filming the Confession he knew full well that this would make or break his career...

14. BobaFett128

BobaFett128 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    I think Natalie's a good actress, but not in Star Wars. I didn't like her acting in AOTC really at all, but it was still better than TPM. :p

15. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I disagree.

I already cared for this character before TPM came out and it was a privilege to see the face, name, and person of Padme who will already become Anakin's wife and Luke & Leia's mother.

16. CarbonKnight

CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    What was it about Padme's character in TPM that made you like her? I honestly can't think of one good reason... I don't know, the cliched "Strong female leader?"

17. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    As Anakin would put it, she's an angel.

18. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Padme is a wonderful character who is played by a talented actress.

19. Autumn_Skywalker

Autumn_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    I didn't like her or dislike her. I don't think anything about her.

**wait, is that redundant? it's late. you know what I mean.

20. darth_pooh

darth_pooh Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    I don't get the same presence from her than I do from the old actors. She's not a real moving force. I don't think she's laughing enough at what she's doing...she's taking it too seriously!

But I don't get much of a "presence" from a lot of things nowadays...like the mailman the other day..drifted off into being and nothingness...

21. skillmatic

skillmatic Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2002
    i'll echo what i said in an earlier post. we're two movies into it and we still don't know anything about padme. she spent the first movie speaking in monotone with no facial expression in what was the worst "plot twist" i've ever seen. and in AOTC she doesn't do much more. she laughs once or twice, yells never. i can't get a feel for her personality at all. does she even have one? she's been so cold and serious throughout both movies.

the first hints of a "character" don't come until she's sitting in the naboo field with anakin discussing politics. at that point you get the sense that she's intelligent and has a playful side. and you get that impression again at dinner. but then in the fireplace scene she goes back to being the cold, serious politician. it's like, what is this girl about? personally, i think she's the most poorly written character of any in the SW universe.

22. Silthe

Silthe Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    I hated the character of Padme. I find it impossible to care about her. I understand she represses her emotions but there's not even a flicker of an interesting personality.

Natalie's voice jarred me out of many scenes. Padme sounds like a 14 year old girl, not a 24 year old adult and powerful senator.

23. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Oh excuse me Sdj (otherwise known as Classic Trilogy basher extrodinaire :p ) But Leia is NOT lame.

Let's have a look shall we?

Hmmm in ANH

Leia stands up to Darth Vader AND Tarkin. As much as I like Padme she would have just mumbled something in that much too soft voice.

You mention that Leia doesn't really react to Alderaan blowing up? Hmmmm I don't know but I think that may have to do with the DIRECTOR CUTTING AWAY TO LUKE AFTER IT EXPLODES! Her reaction BEFORE of disbelief and bracing herself was done well.
    The next time we see her she is a bit too busy trying to escape and get DS plans to the alliance to break down and cry.

Which brings me to the point that she is KICKASS in getting off the deathstar. Yelling at her rescuers for having a bad rescue plan....taking matters into her OWN hands.

Let's see in ESB she nearly dies staying in the command center at the battle of Hoth. She is quite the fiesty character in this film, interacting with Han and everyone else.

I think her feelings for Han are quite well expressed through not only words but actions and emoting. Her acting in the Carbon Freezing scene are some of the best in the saga. The most impressive of it being that she doesn't say much and still conveys great emotion.

In ROTJ..."lame Leia" risks her life by dressing as a bounty hunter so she can release the man she loves from carbonite.

Now quick...what is Padme supposed to do when she loses the man she loves?(I'm hoping this isn't true but it seems it might be) Oh that's right...she crawls in a hole and dies. Leaving her kids to fend for themselves.

Might I remind you of her heroics in the Endor battle? How AFTER BEING SHOT she is able to take out a stormtrooper?

Lame my FOOT!

I don't think Padme is lame. I just can't get how people think she is better than Leia or say that "Leia is lame."

Yeah I guess if you are judging this on looks...Leia is pretty but not QUITE as "hot" as Padme :p

I guess that is what some of you (whether you admit it or not) are basing this on.

24. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Leia is not lame.

25. StormChewieJedi

StormChewieJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2002
    Okay, not only is she HELLA BANGIN', but she's such an important part of the movie, and I know that Natalie Portman may need a few acting lessons, but c'mon, you can't stay mad at her forever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.