main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do Star Wars fans complain to much?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by WhiskeyGold, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YOU_CANNOT_SPELL

YOU_CANNOT_SPELL Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2004
    Do Star Wars fans complain too much?

Absolutely. Usually in inarticulate, semi-literate, whiny, nitpicking, trivial ways.
    The typical post goes like this: "If you freeze-frame, zoom in on each, individual, pixel on the DVD/video/whatever on the movie I don`t like but I have seen many times and I have bought it on every format each time it has been released you will see..."
    Some complaints are valid, most reinforce the nerd stereotype to the rest of society.

2. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    "Do Star Wars fans complain too much?"

YES

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It is getting ridiculous. I just wonder what movies they are watching that allow them to call the SW films sub par.

Maybe I could see where they were coming from if there were better movies like this out there, but as it stands, it seems like they are comparing these movies to movies that don't exist called : The way movies 'should' be.

All the movies I have seen have flaws, because they were made by human beings. The ones I love have more right than wrong in them, and that's as good as I've personally seen.

So that's why I personally don't complain when movies get as much right as the SW films have, because at least movies have gotten -this- good.

4. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    I think sometimes we dont' realize how good we have it. Of all large movie or fiction fanbases, we probably have the most high esteemed, quality story and it consists of soon to be 6 strong installments. And even though I don't care for the EU, its more for the star wars fans who choose to recognize and enjoy it, and even though I think theres some stupid things Lucasfilm does take good care of it.
    The regular public loves star wars and its actually quite repsected. Its considered more cool and less "nerdy" than some other franchises.
    We're also privelleged to be able to turn on the tv or walk into a store and have star wars there, and I think it always will be. Generations talk about it, and love it and that will continue. In a way I think some other fanbases wish they were star wars on some level, and I'm proud to be a star wars fan.

5. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    Do Star Wars fans complain to much?

Yes.

6. -Darth_Pozo-

-Darth_Pozo- Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2004
    "Do Star Wars fans complain to much?"
    Not the young ones (less than 25 y/o), ALL the 30+ complains soooo much that it gets really annoying...

7. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    ^^^ That's maybe because the 30+ fans are old enough to vividly remember the films as they were before Lucas started cutting them to bits and adding random CGI to them.

8. grav1mage

grav1mage Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2004
    Do Star Wars fans complain too much?
    no.
    Just look at what complaining has accomplished already:
    Because Star Wars fans complained N'Sync was edited out of AoTC.

9. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Yes. Far too much.

10. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    Do Star Wars fans complain too much? Definitely not. In fact, I say they don't complain enough.

Star Wars is simply much more than a saga of films. Just look at where Star Wars is today. It started out as a single movie, now it's literally A galaxy that stands on it's own. I almost wouldn't be surprised to find out if this galaxy existed! LOL

This kind of thing is rare and actually, Star Wars stands on it's own when it comes to something like this. Thus, people definitely have very high expectations. Why? Because Star Wars has set high expectations! This isn't something where the fans directed the path of Star Wars, this is where Lucas and Star Wars set it's own path. Thus, people expect a lot and have a right to expect a lot. So if Lucas or anybody else at Star Wars feels the fans are overbearing, tough luck. They brought this upon themselves, and they should actually be happy since they pretty much own our lives!

Lately, it seems like Lucas feels like the fans have begun a hostile take-over through things like the EU, for example, and he has struck back with films like Episode I and II...

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    The idea that someone thinks it's even -possible- to complain more about the SW films just settles it.

A lot of us are over-complainers.

12. boyergw

boyergw Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2004
    Sad but true.

I am a die-hard fan of the whole Saga, but I think some fans wanted a year-2000 version of the OT.

13. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Picture if you will, everyone, content and in an undisputable bliss. All of us here, as well as around the globe. The entire STAR WARS fan universe-In Love with every drop of STAR WARS without a single and utter complaint to its perfection. We all sit, smile, and agree, like one big galactic tea-party. A wonderful world.

Straight-jackets included.

14. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    A world after massive lobotomies. Scary thought there, Neo. :p

15. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    We all sit, smile, and agree, like one big galactic tea-party. A wonderful world.

Not really. Those are for the Trekkies. [face_devil]

16. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    As a STAR WARS fan, I hate to see it go in that direction. I was once a roomy with a Trekkie. It was like bloods and crips in that apartment.

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I prefer to live in a world where things can please me. I accept flaws in man made things because they are man made things.

I only complain when there is more than an acceptable amount of flaw myself, because perfection ain't gonna happen.

I guess I am just being more realistic about it.

18. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Star Wars fan complain way to much about the prequels. It is like they love to hate them. It's ridiculous.

19. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    "I only complain when there is more than an acceptable amount of flaw myself, because perfection ain't gonna happen."

Yes. What you may see as flawless may be viewed as a flaw to another and viceversa. The degree of percieved flaw or absence of it is purely up to the individual. Hence-different numbers of comlplaints.

"I guess I am just being more realistic about it."

You said "I only complain when there is more than an acceptable amount of flaw". We ALL do that. So what makes you "more realistic" about it? Because you have little to no complaints?

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Because there really isn't that much to complain about in the star wars films. Even though they are flawed, they are better overall than most of the crap that gets shoveled out of Hollywood.

21. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    "Because there really isn't that much to complain about in the star wars films."

You can only speak for yourself. There isnt much for you personally to complain about in the films. Some have complaints as with anything. It would be unhealthy if it were any other way. And a bit strange as iv stated before.

For years, complaint, has been a basis for change and anti-complacancy. When you feel it used for no good reason, view it as harmless. Sometime its heard sometimes its not. But it is not a negative but a passionate trait no matter what the subject. I dont think people complain for the hell of it here. I believe they complain because they are fans and want, like you, to like most things about STAR WARS. In the end, complaint, is a component of discussion as is debate, disagreement, and agreement (this is a discussion board). Iv had changed outlooks on things based on peoples complaints as well as views.

Perhaps you should point out some complaints that you feel are petty or unwarrented and we can start from there.

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    The complaints about the writing, the direction, the acting, and the use of cutting edge special effects.

23. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    some folks are just easier to please. that's why there is so much mediocrity out there.

24. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    "The complaints about the writing, the direction, the acting, and the use of cutting edge special effects."

Lucas is a special-effects guy. He pretty much pioneered special-effects and I would expect him to use his resourses in this area heavily. I dont believe in the the "too much fx/CGI" thing, or ask why the PT technology is better than the OTs technology. There is a storywise explaination for that as well as one made of pure common sense. One of the weakest arguments ever formed on these boards is the comparison of the OTs effects against the PTs. The films are over 20 years old and effects have evolved, hello? Evolved from the ground-breaking effects from 77 to what it is today. Trying to bash the OTs effects in praise of the Pts effects are like putting down mankind because we used to walk around naked and hunched over. ILM has evolved.

And far as the complaints about the writting, the direction, and the acting-those are pretty much the components of a movie. To find fault in complaints about these aspects would be to say that there should be no complaining about movies. If not the writting, directing, and acting, what would be a "reasonable" aspect of a movie to complain about?

Once again. If no one had complaints about STAR WARS writting, direction, and acting, it would prove to be quite strange. Complaint, at all levels, is to be expected. Cause like you said, NOTHING is PERFECT. And this goes for STAR WARS, hence, complaints. The degree and basis of complaints apparently differ within the context of the two trilogies. As if they are two sepertae entities.

25. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I am just saying, when Lucas makes the best films in the genre, you just enjoy them for what they are -without- complaining.

Have you ever tried watching a movie without complaining about it?

Just saying to yourself that it's better than most of the crap out there, and it is what it is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.