main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do the celebrations at all the planets at the end of ROTJ SE no longer make any sense?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    Those celebrations shown at the end of ROTJ SE (on Tatooine, Cloud City, Naboo, and Coruscant) really made it look like the war was over and done with. It was like a galaxy-wide celebration.

But in this movie, it sounds like the empire is still going pretty strong. The only celebration scenes that now make sense in ROTJ are the ones on Endor (since they destroyed the second Death Star and drove the imperials away).

But that's just me. What do you think? :)

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    A lot can happen in 30 years

3. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    No, the Empire was defeated. It really did happen. Even in Aftermath, it opens with citizens in open revolt on Coruscant against the Imperial government who still controls the planet. They lose the Battle of Jakku.

The only thing that's changed is that the context is now that they're celebrating the toppling of Vader and the Emperor instead of the fall of the Empire itself. The Battle of Endor, and Jakku a year later, are still significant victories that mark the end of the Empire's control over the entire galaxy.

4. KnightOfRen

KnightOfRen Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    They never made sense to me. I heard Jar Jar... surely he would have been dead by the events of ROTJ. It's baffling.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They are celebrating the deaths of Palpatine and Vader. The celebrations still work.

That's not Jar Jar.

Toonimator and EviL_eLF like this.
  6. KnightOfRen

Nov 12, 2015
    All the gungans are Jar Jar IMO. They're all the same... except for Boss Nass. He's green.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  7. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Did the war in Iraq end when the Saddam statue was toppled?

8. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    No, it's yet another change made to the original movies that never made sense.

9. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    I don't think that the seeming direction of the ST detracts at all from the ending of the OT. Just as how, when the Soviet Union fell, those who held the Communist ideology didn't just dissipate into thin air, but rather infiltrated the west and pushed their agenda until the left wing decimated traditional values to pave the way for the fall of democracy and the return of communism per the formula of the manifesto, the fall of Palpatine's Empire could just as easily have done the same for the proponents of the New Order.

The OT was, after all, inspired by the Nixon administration. There is great opportunity for the ST to be an allegory for the decimation of western culture by the extremist left. It would "rhyme" in the spirit of Lucas's "tone poems" if the ST went that way, and the ending of RotJ certainly sets the stage for such a political analogy.

But, alas, film and television are currently among the most guilty of pushing left-wing agendas, so I don't hold out much hope that the ST will contain such an allegory. Also, to the extent Lucas had any involvement as a consultant in the ST, I don't think he'd advocate that allegory, being as liberal as he is. But I think it would be cool if the ST did anyway.

10. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Word gets out that the Emperor and Darth Vader were killed, of course there is going to be celebration. Crowd control from the Imperials probably soon followed.

11. RobShanti

Jan 6, 2009
    Right. I think, in fact, that was the basis for one of the vignettes in Aftercash, wasn't it?

12. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    It makes Star Wars less a fairytale and more science fiction by extending the saga past ROTJ. I still don't care. I think TFA is worth making even though it takes a little of ROTJ's magic away.

SaintKenobi1322 and Dewback like this.
  13. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    It was.

14. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

They should've left in the Teddy Bear Song

Canyon D, Hanyou, Dewback and 2 others like this.
  15. KnightOfRen

Nov 12, 2015
    I really should give Aftercash a read. I haven't gotten around to it yet.

16. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Aftermath opens with the Imperials trying to reassert control during the toppling of the Emperor's statue, but the scene also ends with people throwing rocks at the Imperials and the citizens in open revolt. A metaphor for continuing conflict, but it also sends a clear message that the Imperials don't quite have the grasp that they used to.

The New Republic doesn't wind up becoming a utopia or anything following Endor, and they struggle to become the central government (and also struggle with the idea of having a standing army), and some things change pretty dramatically in that process leading into TFA which give us both the Resistance and the First Order.

That there's a galaxy where there's an opportunity for a New Republic at all is enough cause for the celebration you see at the end of ROTJ.

17. RobShanti

Jan 6, 2009
    I will say that this is a valid point.

But I'm also willing to overlook it in order to get more Star Wars. :falcon:

18. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    It's a redundant question I'm afraid. As others have said, Aftermath has answered that question.

19. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Errmmmm. Anyone wanna guess how much time we have before the level 100 Undead affliction warLOCK?

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Yub Nub.

jaqen, TX-20, EviL_eLF and 7 others like this.
  21. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    Post of the day!

22. mdtauk

mdtauk Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2015
    All it needs is a line of dialogue, to make it all make sense...

"We thought it was a Victory... We thought we were free of the Empire... We underestimated the lure of the Dark Side..."

23. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015

Ewok haters don't understand the magic of ROTJ and never will. Those little bears stole my heart at a young age. I remember ewok mania. It was real.

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It was corny, but it felt right.
    The new ending felt flat.

25. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    If by dead you mean killed by someone he annoyed maybe. But really it was only 20 years between ROTS and ANH and 4 years between ANH and ROTJ. I think Jar Jar was fairly young in TPM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.