main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do the countries of the EU want United Kingdom to stay in the European community?

Discussion in 'Europe General Archive' started by Appan_Parsu, Mar 1, 2002.

?

Do the countries of the EU want United Kingdom to stay in the European community?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. UK should stay

66.7%
  2. UK should leave

25.0%
  3. UK, who are they, I really don’t care

8.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Appan_Parsu

Appan_Parsu Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2001
  2. Appan_Parsu

Aug 11, 2001
    That is my actual question, reason been is that way back when United Kingdom first applied (this is back before Major and Thatcher, to when Sir Edward Heath was PM (Prime Minister)). It was he who ?pushed? the British public to believe that it was for the best for us Briton?s to be apart of Europe, which at the time it probable was. To my knowledge it took him a couple of attempts to get the rest of Europe to agree to take in United Kingdom as a European country! After he was replaced by our ?Maggie? (Thatcher), who kept to her gun?s for the good of people in the UK, from there our PM?s went ?down hill?, no back bone to them!
    Blair himself (from were a lot of the British public can see) is out for himself, he wants nothing else but for the status of European President, he is not see to be looking out for what?s good for the British people, but would like to see Briton?s to ?fall in line?. He has used the outbreak of ?foot & mouth? this last year, by not reacting quickly enough, allowing it to destroy a good part of our Farmer?s and countryside/ Tourism. Using it as a tool to chip away at the industries that rely on the countryside. He gives the impression that he would like to see the Royal Family broke down to become non-existent! (O.K, I hold my hand up I?m a bit of a Royalist, Queen and Countryman) I know that you cannot look back at the ?good old day?s? and certainly not return to how thing?s were! But as a Briton in UK I feel that Britain should stop kidding itself about been a European country, as we are an Island not joined to any country but that of Scotland and Wales which are apart of the United Kingdom.

3. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    I can't really say that I'm expert in this matter but I think that UK is a European country and should stay as one. Isolating UK wouldn't do any good to anybody. Future conflicts can be avoided only by co-operation. I think Blair is making good job but unfortunately there's still too many conservatives who are afraid of change.

4. Gunnm_BeAngel

Gunnm_BeAngel Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2002
    Hi there, i'm from Italy.
    When i think about UK, i think to it as part of EU. But if britons don't leave apart their pride, it will not be an easy cohabitations.

PS: Sorry for my english! [face_blush]

5. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    Nicely said mr Gunnm!

6. RedLord

RedLord Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 2000
    Alas (and like uk very much) I think they should leave, because they act politically and commercially like a trojan horse for the CommonWealth and for the usa.

The way they act in afghan or iraki crisis like a servant of Usa, is to my point of view, revealing their true allegiance.

They are out of Euros, out of agricultural questions, they are always out.

It's a shame for this former powerful nation to prefer becoming a satellite of the Usa than being a respectable part of UE.

7. BattleDog

BattleDog Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2002
    The EU does not respect us. Blair does not respect us, he strangles the Farmers.

If we were non EU we could stop the Spanish from fishing us out.

I do not think however that we should be the US's lap dog!

8. Emilie

Emilie Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    Why should Uk leave? Do they want to?
    Well I sure don't.

9. akhun

akhun Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 5, 2000
    I would like the UK to stay in the EU but they will have to amend their behaviour:

First, pride is a good thing but they should give it up if the want to be accepted.. They want all the advantages of being European without the bad things. Everyone want that but we took everything and we are trying to cope with the bad points of Europe.

Second, the UK acts as if they were part of the USA. Take the Afghanistan war for example: Bush barked that he was going to eradicate terrorism and Blair acted as a super-ambassador for the USA...I do not understand why the British people did not react...
    I would myself find it offensing to see my country becoming a provincial state of a superpower.

10. Gray_Mouser

Gray_Mouser Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2002
    akhun

I for one whould like the UK to be a integral part of the European Union but I don´t see why the United Kingdom has to "amend their behavior" to fit your preconceived ideas how a European nation should be.

11. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It's not "fitting preconceived ideas", it's accepting the fact that one has to make compromises if one wants to become a part of an economic and political entity that gathers many countries, all of which are different from one another. You just can't say you want to be 100% English and 100% European at the same time without implying that the rest of Europe should be 100% English.

12. Gray_Mouser

Gray_Mouser Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2002
    I´m perfectly aware that people have to make compremises, but the English do not have to make amends, change their attitude or whatever to be a part of the European Uninon.

And saying that England has to choose
    betweeen Europe or USA or they have to accept the euro to be TRUE Europenas is just drivel. Agreeing with the rest of Europe on some issues is not a condition the English have to fulfill to be in the EU. England is a free nation and a part of the European Union. They as a free nation have the right to pursue any action they see fit whether or not the other european nations like it.

13. Appan_Parsu

Aug 11, 2001
    The biggest problem for the people of the UK, is that we do not trust our government. To this I mean that since they 'fudged over' of what it really ment to be going into the EU, lieing through their teeth, to get the ordanary 'Jo on the street' beleiving it was a good for everybody.

But each countries government has to see if it is best for their country before going total acception of been a part of the EU.

The vibe I getting, and a lot of other Brit's do too, is it is not for the country that this government is working for, as pointed out by a number of you, the 'US lap dog', boy did Mr Blair jump when September the 11th happen, that makes me wounder why, was there more to just wanting to help what other motives did he have? Maybe I'm just a very suspicious person, but I like answers!

14. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    I see Mr Blair offering so much support to the US, that it makes me wonder if the UK is now the 51st state.

The bad thing is that the rest of the EU is being dragged along, since they don't want Britain to get all the rewards. Unfortunately these rewards are awefully small (nicely illustrated in the steel incident). Even the media wondered about Mr Bush's stance to his most close ally.

I'd love to see Britain join the euro, siunce it would make exchange easier for me. If they don't want to, I have no problem. What gets me, however, is how some newspapers shout about "European tyrany" and "Britain being forced to obey the buraucrats from Brussels".

I think the British are reluctant to change their way of life and they fear change.

15. FrogSpiter

FrogSpiter Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    hum... this post is actual politic!
    SW is not made for that!

=> What a mess use of SW!!!!

=> Please Close it NOW!

===> I Mean it NOW, RIGHT NOW!

PS: Appan_Parsu from UK, are you pourd of this post? It's the wrong place for that.
    We are here to talk about StarWars. Not how much LAME for all the planet UK politic is.
    Okay? (vs how much Bright they can be)
    => Delette that post is the best choice!
    btw, think twice before post that.

16. akhun

akhun Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 5, 2000
    Eeeeek? :confused:

Surely you're joking Frogspiter ??

17. FrogSpiter

May 7, 2002
    nop akhun.

We are SW fans. Palpy politic is fine in SW Forums.
    Reality? not here please...

It's like if I would ask how much stupid is french politic system... Yeah definitevely not SW forums.

PS: This sounds fishy to me, am I the only one?

18. akhun

akhun Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 5, 2000
    I think that we are entitled to talk about whatever we want (almost anything yeah) :)

19. FrogSpiter

May 7, 2002
    akhun maybe your right.
    And I'm not in the right place.
    My fault maybe?

I thought we were talking here about EU and SW passion.
    I ain't see what does UK politic vs EU does with SW?
    There is politic forums for that.

btw, I'm not used to post msgs here. And I've leave the US part (too much messy things)

I may don't understand this TFN forum at all?
    Nop! I sharing SW passion on others posts.
    Why US and now EU are getting politic?
    Better open a CNN forum for that.

20. Nwalme Jade

Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2000
    It's tricky indeed. Maybe political discussions should be limited to the Senate Floor, but we did talk about politics a few weeks ago in FFF and it went just fine. As long as ppl are open minded and intelligent, it works.

I refuse to think we're only here to talk about SW anyway. But that's my personal opinion.

21. FrogSpiter

May 7, 2002
    So then I pack up and apologize for my previous posts.

I better pack up, otherwise I would talk about thing that makes me feel bad.
    Things that make feel in reality.
    Things that make me feel FAR FAR AWAY from StarWars...

I'm an "idealist".
    I still want to believe.
    But I doubt in that kind of limited poll, that bellong to CNN world.

And if real politic is melted with this part of Forum then I'm really sad :(

This is like asking to Mr Chirac what he think about yoda. Could be fun 1mn.
    No more.

Frogspiter off

22. feather

feather Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2002
    Blair just sucks he fancys him,self for EU president. I'm a bit of a traditional royalist myself. I don't think that we should be the US's 51st state but its getting that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.