main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do the films portray the New Republic negatively?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Mandalore the Ascendent, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    So on the one hand, people justify writing decisions by saying "it's fantasy, it doesn't have to be like real life." But on the other hand, now the justification is "well it's like real life."

Guess what, I DON'T CARE!!!! I don't care what "real life" is like, I go to see my space fantasy with wizards and mystical energy fields to ESCAPE from real life, not have it rubbed in my face constantly. "Real life" or not, it doesn't make it interesting or entertaining to watch in our FICTIONAL narrative. "Everyone is stupid and never learns anything," is not interesting, nor is making "OT-lite, but not done as well and more rushed."

It reeks of a lack of creativity and a fear to actually PROGRESS things,

2. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    In the event of a decapitation strike, governments like the US would have a chain of succession that would at least give the nation a leader of sorts during a time of crisis.

What we should have seen is the New Republic survivors regrouping and retaliating against the First Order for revenge. It is no different from the Empire Strikes Back.

The reason why the Galactic Empire fell so quickly is because Palpatine is a selfish bastard would obviously never establish a chain of succession in the event of his death. But why would New Republic emulate that?

QuangoFett likes this.
  3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

Not if the chain of succession is disrupted or their ability to respond is hampered, which can happened to any government in the event of a massive decapitation strike.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Ricardo Funes likes this.
  4. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    The New Republic is comprised of THOUSANDS of worlds and that they don’t have a contingency plan is ludicrous. It is obvious the only reason it was done like this was so that they could do ANOTHER Empire vs Rebels story, even though it makes no sense given the context. That the galaxy doesn’t rise up in retaliation against some terrorists and now recognizes them as the “legitimate” rulers is just insulting to the viewers and makes everyone look like cowards.

5. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    The US has a policy that at least one cabinet member is out of the area at all times, just in the extremely unlikely event that the rest are killed all at once. It's called the "Designated Survivor" and there's an entire TV show currently airing dedicated to exploring that idea (and it's pretty good actually). And the US military is scattered around the world in various bases, again to minimize this possibility.

So the idea that a galactic government had NO contingency plan like this at all, is absurd.

6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Except if their designated survivor was taken to another planet in the same system they would still be killed. They didn't know try had to prepare for an entire system being destroyed at once.

7. powerfulforce

Mar 16, 2005
    So out of thousands of sectors with several star systems full of planets, all members of the Senate and the Military were conveniently located in ONE star system at the same time? It just seems a bit contrived to say the least.

8. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Yes...how convenient.

9. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    No, their centralised military and leadership was in one place which I don't find all to unbelievable. Naturally their Senate would be in one place and, given they have other planetary militaries, their central military remains above the capital.

10. powerfulforce

Mar 16, 2005
    You don’t find it to be the slightest bit convenient that ALL of the leaders would be in one place at the same time as well as it’s only military fleet that handles intergalactic issues (but really doesn’t)? The New Republic was not presented in a way that can be defended or justified with how they’ve run things. The “history repeats” itself thing still doesn’t excuse their gross incompetence and the only reason so far it should be brought back is because the First Order are murderous thugs.

11. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Well yes politians often all gather in the capital. As for the military, it's basically the home guard, given the other forces out there, so I don't think it's odd they were all above the capital. If they had attacked conventionally it would have been seen as a strategic master stroke.

12. powerfulforce

Mar 16, 2005
    NEVER do ALL politicians gather in the same place for the exact reason as the Hosnian event. Home guard? The way the film presents it is as though that it is the New Republic’s only fleet. Planets may have their own defenses, but that is from them, not the Republic itself. So again how do any of the choices made by the New Republic look positive and what is the point of restoring it if it won’t take the necessary steps to protect itself?

-LordSkywalker- and Shadao like this.
  13. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I content myself that someone could write a super intense 30 year political thriller about the NR, FO and Resistance using the facts already available, and make it really good and believable. It's just I wouldn't read it (much) because politics are not really that thrilling.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Actually all office holders often gather in the same city.

If I recall correctly it might actually be Republic funding that assists planetary defence forces.

And I don't think it portrays them overly positively or negatively.

15. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Again every year the President has his state of the union address. And while most of the government is present, there's specifically always ONE cabinent member who isn't. Why you might ask, because they realize that having every single political and military leader present in one location at one time is a REALLY stupid idea. Someone has to be available to take over should the worst case scenario come to pass.

The NR, apparently was too stupid to grasp this very obvious fact.

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    It only protects it to an extent. It's designed to prevent decapitation in an event of an attack on one specific location. All the government is often still in one city.

It also doesn't protect against things thatthey don't have the imagination to prevent against (like a new superweapon).

17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Hey, remember how people would always criticize the Bantam books for having a superweapon of the week? Welp, can't complain about that anymore.

18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

Ummm, okay? Did I say that I liked the idea of a new superweapon? I'm debating whether it makes logical sense from the NRs perspective.

19. powerfulforce

Mar 16, 2005
    First off, no the Designated Survivor is NOT in the same city when a majority of the leaders are there. He or She is in a secure location in another city, close but not there.

No imagination of a superweapon? They have been in development for over fifty years and again that still doesn’t mean it was a good idea to have all of their important members and SINGLE fleet in ONE location at the same time even if they didn’t know or anticipate something like Starkiller Base.

20. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    In retrospect? Sure it was a terrible idea. But they had no idea of knowing the entire fleet could be destroyed from across the galaxy. We are talking about whether it works logically, not whether it was the best idea in retrospect knowing what the First Order was doing. Given they might have thought the First Order could attack the capital conventionally, perhaps that's why they had the fleet there.
    Yes, but they aren't flown to the other side of the country. They are nearby. Like on the next planet, perhaps. We don't even know if there wasn't a survivor.

Also I'm not sure if it extends to non-gatherings or occassions. For instance is there a designated survivor at all times when the government is sitting in the capital?

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    After the first Death Star, the Galaxy had permanently entered a phase where entire planets could be killed, and just because the DS was destroyed doesn't change things. The tech has been developed. Thanks Mr Erso. It's going to be built again.

So, you've gotta make your own weapons. You've got to develop defense strategies. The equivalent of Nuclear Bunkers.

22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Ehh, except it's on a scale far beyond nuclear weapons. People would have time to preempt it... Unless it was being built beyond known space.

23. powerfulforce

Mar 16, 2005
    Stop falling back to the Starkiller Base out of sight defense. We’ve gone over it enough times and again whether it existed or not it was highly illogical and short sighted for the New Republic to have limited their defenses so thoroughly.

-LordSkywalker- and Shadao like this.
  24. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    Here's a question that should come up in Episode IX: who would really be more likely to free the slaves? The good guys who want to restore a Republic that sat around while slavery flourished? Or the bad guy who's a grandson of a slave and who is a groupie of the guy who went to the Dark side to free slaves?

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Jakku seemed to be a "libertarian paradise".
    You could sell you kids off into slavery.
    Pay workers in inflatable bread.
    Just do whatever you want really.

The Republic didn't seem to have very strong control over things like minimum wages and so forth.

At least the First Order might send in a few troopers to keep order. The Republic don't give a damn.