main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do the Midichlorians have Any Motive for Concieving Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by LottDodd, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002

Without Knowledge of them... We Would have No Knowledge of the Force.

Do the Midichlorians have a motive to concieve Anakin... Assuming Qui-Gon's Theory was Correct and Shmi was telling the whole truth?

The Midichlorians would have had to Consciously decide if they were to change the laws of Nature and the Force if they were to Impregnate Shmi...

Otherwise it would make the "Virgin Birth" an Accidental Chemical Concoction... Like Shmi had a Bacterial Infection, Drank Some Blue Milk, and then massive Solar Flares from Tattoo I, Stimulated the Midichlorians into Producing the Chosen One. While this would be Exceedingly Rare... It Might be Possible to Recreate the Events that Led to This Midichlorian Cocktail.

What do Midichlorians have to gain by this Action... Do they Pay Attention to the world outside their microscopic confines? Are they Aware of the Outside Universe.... The Hopes and Dreams of the Jedi and the Sith?

Are the Midichlorians the Conduit for the Force... or the Will of the Force itself?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The midichlorians are the conduit, IMO. The Will of the Force is something else entirely.

As for why they got Shmi preggers, they were told to by the will of the Force. Because the Force needed someone to bring balance.

3. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    IMO, the midicholorians are as Boba managed - merely a transitory device. (They're based on mitochondria, actually, Lucas says.) Everyone has them, but some people have them more than others so they're more receptive to the Force. There is still a spiritual aspect to it, however, that binds the universe and is thus referred to as the Will of the Force. I believe the Will uses midicholorians to dictate its commands on a physical level, and in the case of Shmi, used her as a vessel to deliver it's Chosen One into the world to bring Balance.

4. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    Guys, no matter what you think the midi's are or are not, they were in the film for one reason and one reason only. And that is, they were used as a device to show that Anakin is the Chosen One. That's the reason why you only hear about the midi's in the first film and no where else. Guaranteed the third film will say nothing about them.

They were totally useless and should have been left out of the film entirely. I have written pages and pages as to what the midi's are and how they play into the saga but it's all for nothing because they were just an easy device and nothing more.

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Qui-Gon said that the midi-chlorians tell us the will of the Force. It's not the will of the midi-chlorians, but the will of the Force.
    Therefore, I would say that it's the Force that has a motive.
    I also believe that it's part of the natural order. There may have been other Chosen Ones and there may not have been. Either way, the situation in the movies craves a Chosen One. The Force constantly strives for balance.

Whether midi-chlorians have a bigger purpose or not remains to be seen. Their most important function is to show why Force sensitivity is inheritable, not to show that Anakin is the Chosen One. Had it been just that, Lucas would not have introduced the midis.

Xeltek, 1981-2005 - may you rest in peace @};-
    /LM

6. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    The dark side was beginning to gain control and throw the force out of balance. Therefore, the force itself created a boy who one day would end that threat and restore balance.

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    TrueJedi, whether or not you like what Lucas has done, it's there. Which means any fan extrapolation from the movies must take into consideration the existence of midichlorians when speaking of Force sensitivity and the nature of the Force itself. Even if they're nature is restricted to that of a one-movie device, they've still made their presence known in the saga. (And it's not as though the subject has been completely forgotten. Lucas has touched upon them in regards to episode III in articles that have been released, like in the recent Vanity Fair.) Part of the fun of fandom is that you can read take things deeper than face value and play with it form your own ideas.

Personally, I like the idea of the midicholorians. I think they're an interesting concept, and one I often feel is misunderstood by the fandom. They were never an attempt to scientifically explain the Force, merely to explore one physically manifested aspect of it. The Force is no less a spiritual entity to me than it was before because of their existence.

Even if it is a plot device...so what? Like we haven't seen those in Star Wars before? :p

8. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Precisely. The midi-chlorians are the physical connection between us and the Force. The mental and spiritual connections are something else.

Xeltek, 1981-2005 - rest in peace @};-
    /LM

9. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    Even if it is a plot device...so what? Like we haven't seen those in Star Wars before?

No, we haven't. :p

Midi's would never had existed if Lucas could have thought of a better way to show that Anakin is the Chosen One. This shows that midi's are a waste of screen time and should never have tainted the saga.

10. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    What this shows is that you don't understand anything about midi-chlorians. Right now, we are right and you are wrong.

Star Wars is a saga
    Watch and believe

/LM

11. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    star wars has alot of mythological and religious metaphors and themes. Maybe its supposed to be like the virgin mary giving birth to a kid who changes the world. except that i dont beleive in god or jesus so i dont think its true and cant happen.

12. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    But, since this is a saga, anything can happen.
    Watch and believe!

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

13. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    Well the thing that gets me is that Lucas states in the TPM commentary flat out that he's *always* had the idea for the midichlorians. He just never had room in the original trilogy to fit it in because larger themes regarding spirituality, morality, destiny, etc. called more significant focus. Since I find no reason to think of Lucas as a liar and since we know he had the movies originally mapped out as 12 different episodes from the start, I tend it believe it really was an idea he intended from the start. So, how would people view midichlorians had they been introduced earlier in the saga? What if Yoda had mentioned it back in ESB, would people still hate it as much as they do, or would they recognize it as an interesting and thoughtful detail to how the Force interacts with the galaxy?

IMO, there's alot the OT gets away with that people would have bashed sideways and back in the PT simply because for nostalgia reasons.

star wars has alot of mythological and religious metaphors and themes. Maybe its supposed to be like the virgin mary giving birth to a kid who changes the world. except that i dont beleive in god or jesus so i dont think its true and cant happen.

I do hope people realize that immaculate conception is hardly particular to Christianity, right? Lucas took his ideas from Campbell's compiled mythology. Trust me, virgin births are a recurring theme in alot of world religions. The fact that Mary happens to be the most famous example is just an excuse for some people to find another reason to bash Lucas.

14. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    But the Given facts of the movie doesn't imply "Virgin" Birth... it is thought that the Midichlorians might have been the father.

Did the Midichlorians intend to impregnate Shmi... or was it some sort of drunken accident?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.