main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do the Sith have a POV about the prophecy?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by r8hitman, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Since this is the last movie in the 6-part saga, Ep.3 needs to give us an explanation of the prophecy .

Personally I think that vader & sidious think that vader has fulfilled the prophecy of the chosen one already by eliminating the jedi. In ROTJ Vader tells Luke that the emperor will show him the "true" nature of the force, so the sith might believe that blocking out certain feelings (like anger, hate, aggression) is wrong and that you should, as sidious says, "learn to trust your feelings" and that their use of the force is the right way since it's more natural to have these kinds of feelings.

The reason I thought about this subject is because I was reading another thread and someone said that sidious might not believe that anakin is the chosen one, well I dont think that has to be the case at all, sidious might really think that the chosen one (vader) has brought "balance" to the force and this is probably what he tells vader in ep.3 ROTS, because if the prophecy is not really specific then it's open for different types of force users to have their own interpretations of the prophecy, just we like have different branches of Christianity all based around Christ but slightly different beliefs or ways of worship, the sith and jedi might all have their beliefs based around the Prophecy but each believes that their use of the force is the right one.
    This is why this NEEDS to be explained in this last movie.
    What do you guys think?

2. ArdOma31088

ArdOma31088 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    the prophesy is answered in both 3 and 6, he goes to the bad side then comes back, bringing the force into balance.

3. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    Well, then, I guess we can all go home now. :p

4. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    It's answered for us the viewers, but I'm talking about the way that they look at it. Remember we already know the outcome of the whole story but I want to know what the jedi and sith think about everything.

5. jakbar316

jakbar316 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    Yeah. Why would the emperor keep Anakin alive if he knows he is the chosen one ? Or maybe he doesn't know ?

6. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    :oops:
    You dont understand what I'm saying.
    What I'm saying is that the emperor might know about the prophecy and believe in it but why should he feel threatened by anakin if he feels like the prophecy is more in his favor than it is the jedi. You guys are talking like the prophecy "specifically" says the chosen one will destroy the sith. If it only says that the chosen one will balance to the force, then that can be interpreted a number of different ways.
    That's why it needs to be explained.

7. Indiana-Earl-Jones

Indiana-Earl-Jones Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    What confuses me is the whole "balance" thing. At the end of ROTJ, is the force really in balnce. Let me explain:

If you think about it, Anakin puts the force into balance in Episode III by killing all but 2 Jedi. So we have 2 Jedi (Obiwan and Yoda) and 2 Sith (Sidious and Vader).

Then in TESB, after Obiwan's death (if you call it that), Luke is sent to train. Anakin, as Luke's father, allowed him to be born. This way, Luke could bring the force back into balance by having another lightside user. Because Luke is Anakin's son, Anakin again contributed to the balancing of the force.

Then in ROTJ, Yoda dies. However, it is also in ROTJ that Leia's force powers develope and she becomes a force user. Since Vader is Leia's father, he contributed to this balancing, yet again.

What puzzles me is in the end of ROTJ. Anakin goes to the lightside again and kills Sidious, but dies himself. That means there are 2 lightside users, but no sith. This is what puzzles me. How is there balance with no sith. Now I say this speaking only of the movies. No EU about Sith developing after ROTJ.

Any ideas?

8. MILK-HANDS

MILK-HANDS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    This is brought up in another thread, no? That the Balance is something is less tangible than a one for one, and that the dark side is not part of the balanced equation.

9. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    The chosen one must walk the road through hell. This is an old theme in books and movies. Anakins destiny is what the SW Saga is all about. We are not seeing some deviation of fate that wasnt supposed to happen, although I guarantee you thats what Palpatine thinks and its his one fatal error of the entire Saga. What happens to Anakin is supposed to happen to Anakin. Destiny. Its a word thrown around alot in SW, and for a very good reason.

To quote a very cool line from a very bad movie: " I dont see coincidence, I see providence ".

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Balance comes when Vader slamdunks Palpatine down the reactor shaft.

We won't hear the entire Prophecy, but we may find out that the Jedi realize that it's only when Palpatine dies.

11. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    I wonder if George will explain the whole "Son of Suns" thing too.

In response to the original question.
    Yes Episode 3 will explain the prophecy.
    It wouldn't be good writing if one of the biggest mysteries in the series wasn't solved.

12. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Severian28, you came about the closest to saying what I'm saying when you mentioned palpatines "views" on the prophecy but I'm just curious to know does palpatine think the prophecy has been fufilled??
    Like I said the sith believe that their way is the only "true" way of the force so they probably think that the chosen one has basically "done his job" with the extermination of the jedi knights. It just depends on how vague the prophecy is. And we dont need a complete explanation in ROTS but this needs to be mentioned by sidious and/or yoda so we can hear what both sides really think about this chosen one thing after the **** hits the fan.

13. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    I believe that Palpatine being able to turn Anakin leads him to believe that he somehow cheated his own fate and thus lulls him into a false sense of security that ultimately spells his doom. Palpatine quite arrogantly believes that he is manipulating events and is in control of the force, when the reality is the force itself is controlling the events we see and Palpatine is just another player. The force flows. The good and wise learn to nurture the flow and allow themselves to be enlightened by its power and consequently the force brings them to higher levels of being. The arrogant and power-hungry violently try to control the force and consciously use it to bring them to higher levels of consciousness. Unnatural. The force takes you there, you not supposed to use the force to get there. Thats why it appears that the darkside is stronger, Because there is no wisdom or reverence about it. You just grab as much of the force as possible and hurl back out . " We make plans and God laughs at us ". Thats pretty much Palpatines storyline and what he thinks he's in control of and what the force has in store for him at the end of it all. Anakin Skywalker is an instrument of the force, not the other way around. In essence he is the forces' ultimate instrument. The chosen one, because no other life form before him was capable of touching that much of the force. When you look at it like this, there really is no point in arguing why Anakin becomes Vader. It couldnt have happened any other way. It is the will of the force, as is every single action in the SW Saga.

14. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Do you think that it's possible that sidious thinks that the force is "balanced" once anakin/vader destroys the jedi??

Vader always talked about a "disturbance" in the force when he was near Obi-wan in ANH, like he was basically saying the force was out of balance or something.

I think in ep.3 we'll learn that sidious has his own interpretation of the prophecy and he has vader thinking that it's been fufilled. Because like I said "WE" know what the true meaning of the prophecy is because we know the entire story, but the sith might have their own distorted veiws of it.

15. ome

ome Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2004
    i liked the expression slamdunks darth-sinister...

16. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Balance comes when Vader slamdunks Palpatine down the reactor shaft. {/i]
    And the game is over, the jedis win, the jedis win !!!

17. ome

ome Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2004
  18. Liquid_G

Liquid_G Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2004
    Well said Severian28.

19. ChestRockwell

ChestRockwell Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2004
    Sidious might not believe the whole proficy thing to begin with. Just like evil people dont believe in religious predictions and so on.

20. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    I think thats very possible Hitman, and probably likely. Palpatine most likely has a more complete definition of the prophecy, like the part where the chosen one turns to the darkside. This is where Palpatine sees his loophole, and very arrogantly goes about his buisness as if he were bigger than the force itself. The force is representive of something bigger than anyone or anything else in the SW galaxy. Its out of balance because a Sith is abusing it like a drug, causing turmoil in the very atmosphere that it ( the force ) flows through. This is stretching a bit, but did you ever notice in the OT that despite his evil, Vader is still very pious when it comes to the force and how powerful it is, and yet Palpatine acts as if the force stems from him, and never once acknowledges it as the higher power. Its a clue, if you will, of the spiritual symbolism of the force. Of how spirituality is raped by religion and I believe that this is the " force ghost " phenomena. Only ones who have completely surrendered to the will of the force can join the ranks of the celestial force ghosts. Believe it or not I think Lucas will borrow from a SW rip-off called " Starchaser: The Legend of Orin " for this tricky part of the story. In that movie it clearly depicts how the chosen one becomes a " luminous being ", although it doesnt verbally explain it. Try to find that movie, you wont be disappointed, and it may have some answers. Its a bit difficult to obtain, but E-bay or the likes should have it.

21. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    I think some people want ROTS to be GL giving a Power Point presentation with graphs and charts.

-Otis

22. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    No, actually it could be quickly cleared up with a couple of sentences in less than ten seconds. I think people understimate how little is actually needed to give resonance to the prophecy plot line, and thats why you see the anxiety that you see concerning it on the boards.

23. The1Neo

The1Neo Jedi Master star 6

Jan 20, 2004
    sinister OWNS!

24. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    severian28, so what you're saying is that you think sidious has something like a "God complex" like he's above the force??

25. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    Isn't it explained enough? The force is out of balance with the Sith rising and beginning to take their revenge starting with TPM. Anakin is created to fix that and he messes up along the way but eventually brings balance by killing off the Sith(Palpaltine since he reverts back to the light side before death) leaving only the Jedi(Luke). I don't see how it is so confusing to people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.