main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do the Sith have a POV about the prophecy?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by r8hitman, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    " A balanced meal has all of the major four food groups and is healthy and nutritional. "

Thats a bad example since the FDA just endorsed the low-carb diet ( of course after Dr. Atkins died ), consequently destroying the long time foundation of the " balanced food pyramid ". The foundation being the carbohydrates ( bread and grains ).

The force needs both the dark and the light. The " unbalance " comes from Sith using it like a drug creating a sort of physical damage to the force, which I believe is another reason that midichlorians are introduced, to give sort of a physicallity to the force. As Sidious is doing his thing through the years, even before TPM, the force slowly is becoming damaged and unbalanced. The true force ( both the light and dark together ) represent the higher power of the SW Universe. As this unbalance gets worse, the force overtakes Shmi ( like Mary ) and conceives Anakin in her womb, making the strongest force vessel ever, whose destiny is to eradicate the Sith, who incorrectly use the force.

2. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Has JG or any other source put any new info up about this prophecy thing lately?

This will answer a couple of questions that I see on these boards, Why did sidious keep anakin around and can anybody else defeat sidious

3. please_work

please_work Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2004
    the prophecy was misread by the jedi

4. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Misread how?

5. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    the prophecy needs further explanation. that much is clear. nothing has really been said about it other than that a chosen one will bring balance to the force. here are some predictions:

the jedi council know more about the prophecy than we as viewers know. i'm sure they have som archives explaining the role of the chosen one to a lesser or greater extent. they are at the time being cautios because they want to make sure that anakin really is the chosen one.

btw, does anyone know how old the prophecy is? the sith are famous for their patience, and they could have been the ones who created the prophecy in the first place -patiently awaiting for a potential chosen one to appear and use it to their advantage.

what they didn't plan on, however, was the ironic twist that the prophecy in the end would turn out to be correct and bite them in their sorry evil a**es.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    According to Pablo, we'll never hear the entire prophecy. But I'm betting that we'll hear how balance to the Force will be achieved.

7. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Maybe it's what Yoda is discussing with Obi-Wan in the photo where it looks like Obi has just finished his fight with anakin.

8. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Ep.3 needs to at least explain why Yoda/Obi-Wan believe that Luke can handle Sidious AND Vader alone.

Maybe they believe he's the chosen one instead of Anakin, because it seems to me that Obi and Yoda have given up on Vader/Anakin turning back, so they must think Luke's the chosen one or just think VERY highly of Luke.

Hopefully it will be mentioned/explained in ROTS.

9. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    No. Yoda and Obi-Wan KNOW Anakin is the chosen one. If you read the novel MACE explains the Jedi's mistake in the prophecy quite nicely. But don't forget... THE DARKSIDE CLOUDS EVERYTHING.

Anakin IS the chosen one. Nothing will change that. AND like Yoda and Obi-Wan said, Luke wasn't ready to face Vader the first time. THAT's why they didn't want him to go after him. But they do the second time.

Rememeber Yoda wants him to FACE the emporer and Vader. NOT to actually defeat them. He knew something was up.

I'm stating everyting on the Qui-Gon factor here

10. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    "Only a fully trained jedi knight, with the force as his ally, can conquer Vader and his Emperor."

I don't know. Mace almost fullfilled the prophecy I guess.

11. WeaveSP03

WeaveSP03 Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2005
    Doesn't Palpatine tell Anakin that Anakin is the chosen one because Palpatine has chosen him? I remember reading that in the novel.

12. starwarsofthesouth

starwarsofthesouth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2005

Look I believe that a lot of people are totally missing the meaning of "balance". There are several meanings to the word balance. Balance could actually mean "to keep a steady position or condtion. By kiling the Sith(rotj), Anakin brings the force into a steady position.

13. starwarsofthesouth

Mar 25, 2005
    It is intersting though that love may have been the root of Anakin turning to the dark side. But it was love that turned Anakin back to the good guys.

14. -Master_Yoda-

-Master_Yoda- Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2005
    I always thought this whole bringing balance thing was something George had shot himself in the foot over.

How can it be balanced if at the end of Episode VI, you have one light side force-user?

I thought it would have simpler to say that the prophecy was the one who would destroy the Sith or something to that effect.

The only way that there can be balance, for me, is if the Force is inherently good, and the Sith have brought it out of balance by their dark ways.

But then, surely the meaning of balance is a balance between dark and light.8-}

If it's addressed in Episode III, it will take some good ideas for it to make sense. In truth, it's something I've not thought too hard about as I've never understood what was really meant.:p

15. starwarsofthesouth

Mar 25, 2005
    Well to me it is not too hard to understand. You talk about George shooting himself in the foot. But remember the story of Anakin was written before the story of Luke. Like I said before the force was "out of whack" with the sith, and by killing the sith, Anakin brought it back to balance, or steadibility. But maybe I am missing the point, I dont know.

16. -Master_Yoda-

-Master_Yoda- Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2005
    ^
    I know I said shooting in the foot, but I mean in the sense that überfans will always over-analyse. Like I said it could be explained in Episode III and I'll be happy.

It just seemed like something that hasn't really been addressed at the minute.

17. Darth_IRS

Darth_IRS Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    No, but Yoda picks up a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Prophecy" on the way to Dagobah.

18. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, we all know about the line from Yoda that goes: "a prophecy that, misread could have been" (or something like that) but that's towards the beginning of the movie, so by the end of the movie it's very possible that they might have a whole new perspective on the prophecy, and might even believe Luke to be the chosen one.

What do you guys think?

(and yes we all know it's Anakin but I'm talking about THEIR views about the prophecy after Anakin has turned)

19. Darth_Sesshu

Darth_Sesshu Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    Well ive talked about this before in other threads, Vaders turn to the darkside is just a stepping stone into fulfilling the prophecy. The Jedi Order doesnt see this, but they know that its not over from there. The only way to get rid of the emperor is that you have to be dark to destroy him. Example, in the Dark Horse comic when Luke finds out that the Emperor that his father killed was actually a clone. So for Luke to get close to the real emperor he must turn to the darkside a bit to be able to confront the emperor and destroy him.

Lukes birth is also a stepping stone for the prophecy, for without Luke, he wouldnt have been able to turn his Father back to the the lightside of the Force to destroy the emperor, because Luke wouldnt been able to destroy the emperor the first time around.

20. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Well unless ep.3 says otherwise, I've always been under the impression that the jedi (obi&yoda) have given up on Anakin.

I dont even think they think joining the darkside is a stepping stone, they might think it's the end or that Luke is the one.

21. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I think it's intended to be left ambiguous and up to the personal interpretation of the viewer. We get a small bit of introduction to it in Episode 1 then it's highlighted in Episode 2 and seemingly incorrect or failed in Episode 3. Then we get Episode 6 where the tide turns and all that was theorised becomes fact; and yet ironically not by a conscious decision to fulfill it by either Anakin or some Jedi institution but by a simple act of self sacrifice to save a father's son.

In the real world, our myths or religious fundamentals aren't a testament to proof but of faith.

The idea of the chosen one is better left as an enigma to better reflect the way we as human beings relate to our own real world belief systems.

22. Jedidude22

Jedidude22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    does anyone else find it annoying how we already have the comic book, novel, script, over 200 screen shots, almost 20 minuets of footage, soundtrack, and all sorts of reviews but people still come out and ask stupid questions or put forth stupid theories?

23. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Well I just always thought this was an important subject to George Lucas and would be mentioned in this movie...not just thrown on the shelf alongside the midichlorines idea.

Yeah some things ARE best left up to the imagination but with this particular subject I would like to know the jedi's opinion on it.

24. Thrawn_Ownz

Thrawn_Ownz Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    i gotta get to work, so don't have time to read previous posts on this, my apologies if this has been written.
    my belief is that balance is brought by anakin. at the end you have two jedi and two sith...can't get more balanced than that. i'll go 1 step further saying that luke ties up all the loose ends. luke is there when obi, yoda, palps, and vader all die.
    cheers!

25. Jedi_Master_Grover

Jedi_Master_Grover Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    I don't think George Lucas even knows what the prophecy is. He just mentioned a prophecy to give Anakin some kind of supposed special significance other than becomming Darth Vader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.