main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do these deleted scenes feel like the original films?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Voldemort, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    I don't know how other fans feel about these, but I've always felt that these three particular deleted scenes have a sort of 'atmosphere' of the original films and serve as a role model to what the settings in the prequels should have been like:

whostheBossk and cwustudent like this.
  2. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    If other members would like to discuss other deleted scenes, we can discuss them later, right now I'd prefer it if we stuck to discussing these three scenes and if they should/could be used as a model setting for any possibility of a prequel remake. I find it hard to consider the newer films as "prequels" to the original trilogy, but if I were shown these three scenes before viewing them, i would be convinced they were prequels.

It's not just the presence of some original actors, it's the atmosphere. What do you fellows think?

By the way I'm a new member here and it's my first few posts. I'm also not a Harry Potter fan, I just picked the name cause the villain in it reminds me of a Sith lord, both in name & appearance. Nice to meet you all :)

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Welcome to the boards!

To answer your question: No, they feel exactly the same as the PT, which feels exactly the same as the OT

Talk of a PT remake is rather premature considering that the OT is more than 20 years older, don't you think?

Dig the username, btw

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Welcome to the forums DV.

I've always liked those scenes. They help show the first seeds of rebellion we watched in the OT.

Id like to see them incorporated back into the existing film at some point.

5. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome. Well the main purpose of discussing these scenes were not to propose a remake of the prequels but to get a fan opinion on whether there is a bit of the spirit of the originals in these scenes. To be honest if this is how the prequels would have turned out, I would have encouraged Lucas cancel them and publish these three scenes instead to serve as a back story and leave it at that LOL.

To me they feel very much like the originals.

6. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome Shane. I agree they do show a good back story. They were actually incorporated into a fan edit of Revenge of the Sith called "Dark Force Rising." While it was better than Lucas's cut, it still failed as all versions of the prequels ultimately do.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    As I said, they all feel the same to me anyway. This is of course up to interpretation

Not trying to play mod, but you're double posting, which is of course discouraged. You have an hour's window of time to edit your post, at least in the PT section. It's only 30 minutes elsewhere

EDIT: Just to show this off. I beg your reasoning - how is it that films that made billions of dollars and scored higher than the OT in their time of release are failures in every aspect?

8. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I'd have liked for this kind of thing to be kept to be honest (though I feel like Jimmy Smit's acting in the first one is a bit iffy).

On the one had I can sort of see why they were cut - they're not particularly dynamic and do amount to basically more of the 'sitting around and talking' scenes that permeate the middle of ROTS.

On the other hand that movie criminally wastes Padme as a character, especially when she could have been used to show the political turmoil that the Republic was in from an internal perspective.

9. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't feel these have any more or less "atmosphere of the original films" than the other scenes. What's "OT atmosphere" anyway? Is it the Dagobah scenes, the scenes on the first Death Star or Jabba's palace? They're all vastly different.

That said, I still really, really miss the third of these deleted scenes.
    I don't think we need the first two. They're nice political background information and interesting, but ROTS had a strong focus on Anakin and not as much on politics in general. The third scene, however, fits in perfectly because it does focus on Anakin while still giving interesting background to many, many things and more action to Padmé. Let's see:

- builds up on Padmé's conversation with Anakin about being on "the wrong side" and Anakin's response to "make a motion in the Senate" etc.
    - it shows a more ruthless side of "Palpatine the politician". In TPM and AOTC, Palpatine was always a nice politician who "loved democracy" and agreed to emergency powers with "great reluctance". In this scene, though, he cuts any democatic opposition off and ignores their wishes completely. He even displays a bit of intimidation, which would have helped to give background to him announcing the Empire later in the film and the applause (intimidated opposition).
    - it provides background to Anakin's "doubts" about Padmé and her loyality
    - it makes Anakin question his "Jedi insights" even more
    - Ian McDiarmid is perfect in this one, much like in the "Opera scene"
    - "Some see instabilty as an opportunity" - love that line.

I would have loved to see that third Rebellion scene in the film (also for future releases), but I don't think there is a special "OT atmosphere" or anything like that.

10. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011

They don't feel especially more like the OT, though their subject matter obviously leads directly to the OT. That doesn't distinguish them from various other parts of ROTS.

In other aspects, they are perfectly in line with the PT, even if the distinction between it and the OT is sometimes overstated. These scenes depict the origins of the Rebel Alliance - which later exists on the beaten down fringe of the Galaxy - in the high society world of Coruscant politics. They are a continuation of the political plots from AOTC and TPM.

All three of them are worth including in later re-releases in my view. Together with various deleted scenes in AOTC, they give Padme a stronger character arc.

11. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I would have liked to see all three scenes left in. I think they provide an additional tie to the original trilogy, and make fringe characters more than just fringe characters in the original trilogy, even if their roles in episodes IV, V, and VI, are minimal or non-existent. Also, with the onset of the Rebels series, those scenes would have added more depth to the overall struggle of the rebellion to gain what little of a foothold they had at the time Rebels takes place.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Those scenes should have been left in, barring the unnecessary cut to Lucas' daughter. They are pretty good and its nice to see a tie to the OT, thats not altering the OT to fit the PT.

cwustudent and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  13. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I can totally understand why they were cut (length reasons (giggity)), but it would have been nice to see tem ncluded in the blu ray release. They tie the PT and OT that much closer together!

14. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I've said it many times before. The deleted scenes have to make it back into the extended cuts. Unfortunately that is unlikely to happen anytime soon, which is a real shame.

I get why they cut them out of theatrical releases, most of these scenes are slowing down the progression of the story. But extended cuts are a totally different ballpark. There are no running time constraints and I don't care if they are 4 hours long. As long as we get more dialogue and insight into the story, I'm all for bringing those scenes back.

Of course some people would be very much against more of the political scenes. I, for one, really like the political aspect of the PT.

15. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I like the scenes and think that the subplot within them would enhance ROTS. However, they aren't necessary to the central focus of the film, and GL probably removed them since they might slow things down in an otherwise quickly-paced film.

I don't think they feel particularly like the OT, though.

cwustudent and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wish those were integrated in.

17. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    Never seen the third scene before. Baffled they didn't include it.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, the Delegation of 2000 petition scene is the best. The other two are sort of redundant and give us the same info basically.

19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  20. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i don't think they feel more or less like the OT than the rest of the PT.
    personally i would have liked the first scene put in, the second wasn't really needed, and the third the underlying thing of Palpatine causing Anakin not to trust Padme didn't really go along with trying to save her later, so it didn't work for me.

21. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I dunno if they "feel" like the OT. So many people have different ideas of what "feels"like the OT. Some think it's certain characters, some think it's music, some think it's re-making scenes etc etc.

However, I would have loved for these to be kept in the movie. It would give us more to talk about with what happens as the "Alliance" grows from the delegation of 2000.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    Thanks for the welcomes and responses guys. And I will read the thread on double posts. I guess these scenes feel like the originals because of the music, the setting (a bit like cloud city), less CGI, etc. but other than even I can't explain to myself why they feel more like the OT films.

I feel like if any clone troopers were there, thy would stand out, but if I put in the original Beru or Lars they wouldn't stand out.

To define atmosphere, if you watch the films Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980), they have the same atmosphere: music, settings, characters etc.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone else noticed that about these scenes. Guess not. But who knows...

23. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I tell ya this: Whoevery got the role of young Mon Mothma nailed the part. Too bad she was cut.

cwustudent likes this.
  24. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't find those deleted scenes particularly feel like the OT. I mean in terms of mood, sets, lines etc...

I too would have liked to see the first two included in the final cut, yeah, to help tie the 2 series more and have a reference to the Rebellion.

Not the third one, because of Padme's haircut...:D

25. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    the first two seem OT-ish to me, mainly ESB Bespin territory.

I don't like the third scene, it should be obvious to even Anakin that the dude is a slimeball and not to be trusted.

Ian Mcdiarmid is an awesome actor and one of my favourites, but he didn't act with his usual subtlety in that scene ,"I can see..it..in..her..eyes" for example. Must have been an off day.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.