main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do we know for sure if Quermians have 4 arms?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RogueWompRat, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Yareal Poof's species, the Quermians, are said to have 4 arms like the species they are related to (the Xexto, Gasgano's species). Note only two of Poof's arms were visible in the Phantom Menace, thusly, EU sources assumed he kept them under his cloak. However, we have never seen Poof or any other Quermians that use their second set of arms, Poof certainly didnt use them in the Zam Wessel one shot, where they would be an advantage. So do the Quermians have 4 arms? I know it says the Arkanians were responsible for transplanting a group of Xexto to Quermia, but heres my theory; both the Xexto and Quermians are geneticly altered offshoots on the Kaminoans, perhaps one of their early experiments in the "freaky sciences"? What do you think?

2. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    this bothered me as well for a long time -- i think for some reason i though that yareal was a xexto, but then later re-read and recognized that he was not, but a quermian instead. i didn't know about any connection between the two species until you mentioned it -- what source did you pull that from?

perhaps just as the inhabitants of Ando had two subspecies of Aqualish - the web-handed Quara and the claw handed Aquala, there is a difference between the source material xexto and the daughter material quermians...

the main difference could be that the quermians have a second set of arms but they are useless and vestigial, and so are kept hidden under clothes since they dont serve as functional limbs.

3. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    The OS says so ;)

4. RogueWompRat

Feb 15, 2003
    Thats a good explanation. Oh, and I believe the Quermians being related to the Xexto came from the Alien Anthology. Aparantly, the Arkanians (Master Arca's species) transplanted a population of Xexto's from Troiken to Quermia. Where as on Troiken, the Xexto's need those extra arms to rapidly clibm trees and avoid challat-eaters. However, Quermia is described as a paradise, so perhaps not needing the extra arms, they became vestigal. Oh yeah, and Quermians seem to be taller then Xextos.

5. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    tree climbing creatures tend to be smaller than their land-dwelling kin... like chimps and great apes.

size matters not.

6. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    Read my sig...

7. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Really, how does one "develop" extra arms? I mean it's a little far-fetched...

Developing ultra-strong or longer arms fine; but another set? I know im inciting an evolution talk, but really what would prompt a fish to crawl up onto land? If enough did it and died, did moma fish decide "I oughta pop one out with legs so he won't die!"

Or was it more likely a fish with a mutation who just did spectacurally good and all the female fish wanted to have his little fishlings?

¤Night

8. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    You certainly are enciting an evolution talk! ;)

My limited understanding on the "fish out of water" issue is that it is believed that the fish in question, the one that survived on land, had a mutation in its respiratory system (gills & lungs) that allowed it to breathe air. Further fortuidous mutations bred a survivability rate that favored the mutant over the "normal". Err... I'm the fish out of water here... any help?

9. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Really, how does one "develop" extra arms? I mean it's a little far-fetched..."

Insects, 6 appendages.

Arachnids, 8 appendages.

Trilobites(extinct) many appendages.

Centipede, 100 appendages.

Millipede, 1000 appendages.

Yep there are things in the wild with more than 4 appendages.

10. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I think he's asking, how could a creature with two arms "develop" four arms, unless it took like... millions of years of breeding and evolution.

11. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I guess I could see the whole "Mutant fish with stubby "arms" bred with fish, and slowly longer arms were bred, but i really guess i meant like out pops baby fish and momma fish is confused cause it's got like 4 fins instead of 2.

¤Night

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    ""Mutant fish with stubby "arms" bred with fish, and slowly longer arms were bred"

With the way genetics work, It is either have long arms, or short arms(no in-betweens). Having chromosomes from both doesn't mean "medium" arms, as which ever is the dominate trait will be in effect blocking out the other. If there are medium arms, its likely cause there is a "medium gene". Course as to which is more dominate, long arms or short arms, beats me...

13. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    Has anyone thought that maybe the Arkanians knew they'd need those extra arms so they created a mutation amongst the gene pool that spread to all members of their colony?

Think about it...

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I've just been dying to say this for so long.

May I ask why he was given that surname, when it has strong conotations of something else? I don't understand.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Who? Poof? Simple.

One minute he's there, then, poof! He's gone! [face_batting]

16. RogueWompRat

Feb 15, 2003
    Poof was removed from the council in AOTC cuz GL thougt that people would confuse him with the Kaminoans. So how much u wanna bet GL's gonna replace him with Sifo-Dyas in the TPM special edition?

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    2nd Quest, that's one way of imagining the surname Poof. What I had in mind was another . . . and with that in mind, just why it was still allowed . . .

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Honestly, I can't figure out what the other connotation of the word is, and I thought I had a pretty vivid imagination... [face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.