main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do we still have administrators?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Padme Bra, Jul 21, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Padme Bra, that had nothing to do with it. I was just made a mod, and I'm not PreacherBoy's girlfriend. Well, there was that one time, but that doesn't count and nobody knows about it anyway. ;)

2. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Hey! You were supposed to be quiet about that! I *told* you Lord Chewy couldn't find out! :*(

3. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    OOPS!

(Damn this 15-minute editing!)

4. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    But, seriously: If all it took was being a close friend or girlfriend of an admin, LC would have been made one long ago. It takes a lot more than that. The decision to promote her was virtually unanimous. All of the current admins were asked, and 100% of those who responded were in favor of it.

5. I'm 12 years old

I'm 12 years old Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 9, 2000
    There goes my plan to seduce BoB.

6. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i suspect they are both adopted children of GL, or at least cunning facsimilies therof

7. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Uh huh. Yyyyeah.

8. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
  9. Chyren

Chyren Manager Emeritus star 5

Sep 30, 1998
    So is Padme Bra not becoming an admin now? I'll be seriously peeved if not, because I wanted to make his life a living hell.

10. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    I'm sorry to disappoint you, Chyren. All I really had going for me was a comprehensive knowledge of the forums, free time, a few ideas for improvement, and the support of the majority of the members. I was just missing that last...ingredient. Maybe you can be creative and find another way to make my life a living hell.

11. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    What other ingredient sweetie? Charm? Tact?

:p

12. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Nah you don't need those to be an admin, in fact I think it's frowned upon :p

13. I'm 12 years old

I'm 12 years old Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 9, 2000
    Padme are you saying Lord Chewy is less qualified than you to be an admin? I don't see how you could think that. She already has experience adminning.

And just because you are the popular choice of the few people that posted in this thread, doesn't mean you deserved to be an admin. They made their decision, and it was based on their knowledge of the two candidates. I've seen you posting all over the place today, whining about this decision. Shutup, ok?

14. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    I didn't say anything of the kind and I wasn't talking to you. You can tell me to shut up all you want, I'll say what I please.

15. Lord Chewy

Lord Chewy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    I suppose I should say something. I'm sorry that you weren't promoted Padme Bra. As soon as I saw I was made Mod, I wrote the others about making you one also. (Though, mainly because the members here led you to believe that popular concensus would make you one and I really didn't want the stress of complaints on the matter...) They aren't comfortable making a person they don't know enough to trust a moderator here. I've been at the forums for over a year now and I've been with PreacherBoy for a year. I really hate the fact that I've never been able to build a reputation that stemmed beyond "The admin's girlfriend". For some reason, for people who don't know me personally and don't read the forums much, it's an invitation to mockery and ridicule. I've been involved in plenty of the JC politics. My promotion was in no way favoritism. They brought me up for admin when Chyren resigned but the admins decided that Mr K would be better, already foreseeing that making me an admin would cause controversy, despite my qualifications. I have no idea what I can do besides break up with PB to make anyone think that I deserve this based on my own merit. None of you have a right to judge me based on that. My relationships with people have nothing to do with my qualifications. I've had PreacherBoy's password for a while now and I've been doing most of the work that's under his name. I know a whole lot more about moderating and about the boards than the average member. I'm really sick of people bashing me and questioning my motivation in my relationship with PreacherBoy. Popularity has nothing to do with moderating a forum. I personally think that anyone with half a brain could do a decent job. It's not exactly rocket science here... I was promoted because half of the current moderators don't visit the forums much and the mod who did the most work here, Chyren, doesn't want that responsibility anymore though he posts here as much as he used to and he continues to act like a moderator. If you want to choose who becomes a mod, Chyren, you shouldn't have relinquished the title yourself. Members who don't have responsibility at the forums will not act as responsible as those who do have it.

16. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Everyone just lighten up. Anything I might have said I said in jest anyway. I could honestly care less about the whole thing beyond finding it all amusing. I'm sure Lord Chewy will do just fine.

17. Lord Chewy

May 14, 1999
    You seemed to be personally affected by it since you started listing your own qualifications, implying that they were more extensive than my own. If you meant to joke this off, it could have been funnier.

18. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    I'm done talking about this. Lord Chewy, congratulations again.

19. Emuboy

Emuboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 7, 1999
    All right everybody. Emuboy has something to say. No surprise there. Where the surprise is coming is that I'm going to take my head out of the asses of the admins and dissagree with some of them. My opinions are rarely controversial and probably don't matter, but here it goes.

jasman being and admin is awesome. Lord Chewy will be excellent. But that just isn't enough. I think Chyren is right. We need way more. Ever been to chickclick? They have a lot of admins and it works pretty good. I think we should have loads of admins.

I understand the feeling that too many cooks spoil the broth and there'd be power issues. But lets face it, after six or so admins, is there really that problem anymore? I mean, is ten admins, as far as power is concerned, any different than fifteen? I don't think it would be.

I think we need a lot of people patroling. I think Padme Bra, Kyle Katarn and someone else, AT LEAST, need to be made admins. If anything, just for patroling purposes. LC said something about the other admins not "being comfortable" with someone they don't "know as well". Well, how about this: give them a shot. If they screw it up, demote them.

The administration here at the JC just doesn't take enough risks. I realize the JC isn't a democracy, but more attention needs to be paid to us. You'd be surprised how many people are telling you exactly what it takes to keep them in control.

Just not enough risks. Take a chance on some of these guys. Try a new system of administration. The worst thing that could happen is that you'd have to go back to the old way.

Sometimes, ya'll remind me of the Jedi Council from the movies. The admins are so worried about the way THEY do things and the way it SHOULD be done, that the Savior, the solution, is right under their noses. Thats how it seems sometimes at least, I reckon.

20. Lord Chewy

May 14, 1999
    I agree. I think I'm going to send out another email about this. The admins who make a more *active* role here should be able to decide. Not those who occasionally dabble here and think that they have enough info to make decisions. I want Padme Bra to be an admin. I want Kyle Katarn to be an admin. I want this place to be fun again. I don't want strict, anal admins putting down fun things just because they might upset a Few people. Everyone here takes themselves too seriously.

21. Binky

Binky Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2000
    Not everyone. Poopy.

22. Chyren

Chyren Manager Emeritus star 5

Sep 30, 1998
    On this thing about taking things too seriously - Lord Chewy - you first :)

The only thing I have a problem with is LC saying that I still act like a moderator when I'm not one and I should shut up. Well, to that I say "blow it out of your nether regions."

I will continue to state my opinions whenever I feel they are appropriate and will *not* be quiet, with all due respect.

I am not trying to be a moderator-wannabe, I am merely expressing my opinions, just as many longer-term members do here, as do all senior members as is their wont. If I see a problem on the boards, I will draw attention to it. I was like this long before I was an admin, and no doubt I will be vociferous in my outspokenness until the day my body rots and festers in the grave.

-- Whether the existing admins pay attention to me is another matter, of course, and entirely up to them. I don't expect them to jump at my every word, but they don't anyway, so there's no problem.

I also take exception to the statement that I post here just as much as I did when I was an admin. This is not accurate. I spend approximately 25% of the time here that I did when I was an admin, only a couple of hours here and there. I detect an underlying snide jab at me with such comments, and I don't like it.

Now, Lord Chewy, if these rather inconsequential remarks about you (from various quarters) are getting under your skin at *this* early stage, then I would suggest you aren't fit for the job.

Because this is nothing; you'll get much worse, believe me. I predict that at this rate you won't even last a couple of months, so please develop a thicker skin.

Don't take what people say to heart, dear girl, that is a big mistake because most of the folks here won't consider your feelings when they post things.

I was *not* suggesting that Padme Bra was a better choice than you. You must understand that there is banter going on here between the Bra & myself, & I think you greatly misinterpreted it.

23. Lord Chewy

May 14, 1999
    Thank you very much for your input.

24. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    am i right in thinking that only darthcleo and that enigma zerosleep have ultimate power here? if so, if the moderators are not able to appoint others and play with the settings then maybe we should have a few more moderators, as they are basically harmless, in a decisive way, i also think KK should be one if this expansion occurs

25. Shar Kida

Shar Kida Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

Before this breaks out even further ...

I do not think "competence" has anything to do with it. I doubt anyone questions that. However, as you yourself pointed out, Lord Chewy, there are previous associations (based at least as much upon your own previous actions and defences of others' actions as upon any relationship), and it is inevitable that, at least at first, you will be judged by some in that context. That was going to happen no matter what. The associations are even stronger in that you have been acting in this capacity for several months now through another's password. I will not lie and say that such an action does not disturb me.

It is now, however, irrelevant. The position you have been carrying out for several months has now been made official. You certainly have the experience in the JC to carry out administrative duties.

So: are you going to be hedged in by the few who bring up those associations, trapped eternally in the memory of what was; or are you going to shrug, say "Well, I can't do anything about what is past," and simply go forward and do the best job you can?

On a side note:

The colours seem to have disappeared from your name, Lord Chewy. Does this mean what it seems to mean? (And if so, _if_ you can come to terms with what has been and work past it: I think it may have been a mistake.)

Kida

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.