main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do we want canonical stories between I and II ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rax, May 16, 2015.

1. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I basically thought you weren't respecting the fact that I refered to canon thus me thinking that you said my opinion wasn't good/didn't matter. I didn't know it was a simple suggestion. Well well. 76 posts later :/

So anyway, what other suggestions for a I-II story?

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Going with the premise the current PT will stand I would say Anakin's training by Obi-Wan is a critical story.

3. ChickenDroid

ChickenDroid Jedi Padawan

May 2, 2015
    A new film every year, you can bet if there is a story to be told between films then it would be fair game. The second film that Disney will release is already going to be between III an IV. And you can also bet on Novels and Comics to support those new movies. Disney is in it for the long haul, and as long as they can turn a profit, they will be exploring every nook and cranny accept maybe overdone TCW era.

4. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Don't worry, it won't be a reboot, hehe. Let's not be paranoid :3

5. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Yes, Padme served as Queen for 2 terms = 8 years. Shortly after she stepped down she took the new Queen's offer and became the new Senator of Naboo. So Padme had been Senator for 2 years before AOTC.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I want Luceno to tackle the whole "neutrality" issue from the Separatist perspective! It can be in the guise of a Dooku novel or a Sep novel or... dare to dream... a "Tales of the Separatist Council"-type anthology.

And if it were an anthology we would get a bunch of authors!!! JJM and Luceno and maybe Wallace and/or Fry and maybe even Windham and IT WOULD BE AWESOME!

...although the point is they have to reasonably explain the neutrality issue for us nerds to finally accept it. :-B

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If Padme was a Senator on Coruscant for 2 years before AOTC, how did she not run into Anakin and or Obi-Wan at least once?

8. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Busy with jedi missions? :p

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The entire 2 years?

10. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Probably. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan stayed on Mandalore for a year in a mission before TPM.

mes520 likes this.
  11. mes520

Nov 3, 2012

Anakin and Obi-Wan were probably away on business and missions a lot. Padme too was probably off world from time to time. Also there were thousands of Senator and Jedi during the PT.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't see why the dialogue in AOTC matters at all. Anakin could have just been wrong about how long it had been since he had seen Padme, or he could have been lying, or he could have been exaggerating, or it could have been ten years "from a certain point of view". Who cares what the movies say anyway, right? There are ways around dialogue.

If they were to do a cartoon in between TPM and AOTC, there's no reason they can't have Anakin and Padme together a couple times per season. In fact, they should have Anakin and Padme together in between TPM and AOTC, because reasons.

13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Lucas may not care about fidelity to the dialogue, but Leland sure does. That's why Yoda never went to Dagobah before Episode III, because the script said his surroundings were unfamiliar.

In fact I'm coining WWLD now, and having Anakin and Padme meet again between I and II is totally something Lucas would do.

14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Read the Vanity Fair article (pg-92-104 and 145) and you will see that the prequels had there day. heck, we are lucky that they released the Darth Maul: Sons of Dathomir comic series, the two story reels from TCW and the new novel dark Disciple cause from reading the article, Kasdan, Kennedy and others wanted to move away from ......the prequels. Get set for stories told in the sequel trilogy. Ever wonder why we are getting so many different OT releases? Comic books remastered, new novel interpretations, golden books ( though those will have episode 1-3), the cd OT books that was released last month, and those yard looking things (OT series)? Its because its now mostly all about the OT and their connections to the ST.

15. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    man I'm really missing out on all the potential PT to ST connections

damn Lawrence Kasdan and his agenda to minimize the PT! I bet the PT could have more connections to the ST than the OT were it not for that!

16. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    Even though Legends is non-canon, I doubt they will rush to re-hash events and characters already told in Legends. It just doesn't make sense.

17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Especially since Luceno recanonized the events in general of a handful of them. If you don't obsess over trying to reconcile every reference or detail, the general events of the books Cloak of Deception, Darth Plagueis and Dark Lord canonically occurred. The books themselves are not canon, but the general stories recounted in them now are.

18. mes520

Nov 3, 2012

Actually there is or they are.

Right now they're focused on the post ANH in the comics. Well some of Dark Horse's last comics called Star Wars (also known as Star Wood) were covering that exact same time.

Also the droid 11-4D from the novel, Darth Plagueis made his way into the novel Tarkin.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I really wish AotC had established that Anakin and Padme had remained in frequent contact and their love story involved him getting out of the "he's like my little brother"-zone.

"Anakin we can't, blah blah, senator and Jedi. Besides, we've been as close as siblings for ten years!"
    "Siblings don't kiss like that."

Trololol.

20. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I'm so torn. Part of me wants more more MORE canon, but the self-defeatist part of me says "they've done that already, its non-canon, now we have to do it all over again."

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    On my end, I really don't care about canon. Been there, done that. Just give me stories. The truth will become apparent.

22. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Regarding rehashing stories that have already been told - I think we are looking for the stories that haven't. This sub-era of the prequels has been very thin with existing stories.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  23. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014

Thing is, it might as well just be canon. It's not contradicting anything so just say it happened.

ok?

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah.

Lots of people have fallen foul of 'reading between lines' when often there's nothing there to be read, but they convince their self that there must be something, that it cannot be so simple, can it?

Radical idea: Just read what's written in a post and only that, intent of it should be fairly clear in the majority of cases.

25. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Anakin's children would beg to differ... [face_whistling]

What I'm uncertain with, though, is how much they should milk the OT before diversifying the publishing mix, as the last thing I want them to do is make people suffer OT fatigue and us never see another Darth Vader story again for the next ten years. It's why I prefer Marvel's approach, where you'll get a film about one superhero, then a film about a different superhero, then maybe a sequel to the first again, oh hey, let's do a totally different one next, and then let's throw in a crossover, etc.

That's something the EU never really did particularly well, with Del Rey just overdoing one thing (Warlord of the Month, Vong Vong Vong, Sith of the Month, etc) and beating the horse to death until they moved on to mill the next idea... and that's something I personally want Disney to get away from, and to mix up things more frequently, moving on to different stories more quickly before they enter the fatigue stage. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Rebels has another couple of good series, but I imagine for the casual fan they'll suffer burnout fairly soon after that, which is why I'd rather they not drag it out forever, but move on, and allow themselves to revisit the Dark Times later down the line.

Something I do kinda like the prospect of with new "PT Era" stuff is that people like Max von Sydow are old enough to potentially have been around during the Clone Wars, so they could easily do some ST tie-ins that connect the whole saga, not just the OT and ST, but the PT and OT and ST all into one big whole-- and that has the added plus of being able to tell some stories set in the PT era but which had a much more mainstream OT and ST "feel" to them.