main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson do we want to do a toys for tots drive.. I have been contacted by them

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    we would need to organize quick.. are we up for giving this a go.. I know Dustin does.. what about the rest of us.. would take some quick organizing and finding a place.. which I can start work on immediately.. but want to know what the general opinion is of doing one before I commit to telling the toys for tots people we are having a drive for them.

2. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    anyday but the 10th not the 10th the 10th is already a nightmare for me but i'm totally down to do this yes yes yes

3. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I (like most people) are quite busy this month, depends on the day and time.

4. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Stuff the Bus is also coming up.

This Friday at the Sam Levitz Eastside and Friday the 9th at Sam Levitz Westside.

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    is the stuff the bus with toys for tots.. or something else.. I would love to get organized with something already going on. Though not sure how that would happen.

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    also sent out email request for Dustin to KRQ letting them know we are available for christmas wishes if it involves star wars.. we can't afford to buy gifts.. but we can certainly go in costume to deliver presents. Obi Wan let me know today that they will be in touch if any of the wishes involve star wars.

7. TI-525

TI-525 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2005
    i went to a toys for tots on sunday
    i got called a wierdo and a freak by this one wierdo of a kid
    it wasnt just me that got called a name
    one person in my fan force made her 11 yr old son clone gear and he got called a name right near me too so....
    other wise it was fun

8. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    people that have no life will attempt to make life miserable for others.. you just have to say a prayer that their life gets better and they no longer feel the need to belittle others in order to make themselves feel better. Such a sad thing when people have no life and no happiness.

9. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Speaking for myself, as I am not authorized to speak for anybody else, the TFT would have to be on a weekend for all day participation, or I could do it in the AM for a couple hours on a weekday.

Stuff the Bus on the 9th is a no-go for me.

10. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    The more I think about it the more it seems like we have only two weekends to do this, Dec. 3-4 and 10-11. That's IF we go with a weekend.
    It just seems like the Marines cut the TFT drive off about a week or so before Christmas, so we are rapidly running out of days.

11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I'm checking to see when the last day is that they collect for toys.

12. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Wow, sorry you had that experience. :( That is too bad people acted like that.

Let me know. Of course my problem de jeur is that I'm sick with the crud. It started in my head and went to my chest. I'm hoping by tomorrow it will be at my toes and go away. [face_clown]

13. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    a hope for all of us to get over our crud.. DSJ sounds pretty bad actually.. though he has not mentioned it.. but I know between him and the rest of us.. we aren't feeling the best this week.

14. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    How about this then? Why dont we just blitz a place? I mean gear up and notify the media outlets that we will be showing up, by surprise, somewhere where there is alot of kids, with a bunch of toys, that wat we wont have to do another marathon run int he gear, although it is getting cooler, we could just show up, pose for pics, give the kids the toys, mingle and take off.

15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    We could do that.. I can pretty much guarantee we won't be getting more media coverage given how much we have already gotten lately.. then again.. who is to say.. stranger things have happened.. I think joining a group having a drive is a good idea... but finding someone is another thing all together.. we can do our drive as late as the 18th .. that is what Douglas GySgt Martin B told me anyway.. he is the contact person for Tucson. He said he wanted to officially end on the 17th.. but that there will always be stragglers of kids in need of presents. I have calls out to two places to talk to GM's about showing up one day to help collect gifts for their boxes that they already have in position.. for Toys R Us. I will let you know what they say.

16. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Well don't bother calling Target. They don't do anything for anybody. I'm officially cutting up my Target card and boycotting them.

</political>

17. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    did something happen with Target?

18. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    yeah, they made themselves a TARGET [face_beatup]

19. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Meh, I don't want to turn this into a political thread but they will not allow Toys for Tots or the Salvation Army because they don't want to offend people who don't celebrate Christmas.

These are my personal feelings. I know I'll probably end up there for something but if at all possible I will not be shopping at Target.

20. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    jeesh that is ridiculous.. even my orthodox jewish friends give toys to toys for tots.. seems more of an offense to not participate than to participate..

I will say I am hesitant to throw us on the mercy of the media of TV again.. the more I am thinking of this the more it seems we run the risk of over saturation..if we call them every other week with an event eventually they will just tune us out.. I just think if we want the TV to always be there for us.. it might be prudent to pick and choose how often we notify them.. esp since it really is just informing the public that we did this.. if they had wanted a chance to see us they would have needed to know before we did the event.. I am thinking media wise.. right now if we do a toys for tots event we need to get it in the paper and that way it is ahead of time and we have a bigger chance at coverage that way. The radio stations are all teamed up with big corporate sponsors.. which we just arn't.. so the radio at the most will give us a few free plugs.. I am going to go to the radio station production guys after the new year and discuss having a station team up with us on something in the coming year.. I think hitting up the DJ's helps with free plugs.. but obviously we need to go to the community events folks if we expect the radio to send out a team to join us.. or so it appears from what KLPX has said to me.. he has taken the idea to his super.. but apparently it just would mean more if we were to go to the big dogs ourselves.

however.. I will support whatever ya'll all decide.. if we did this on a sunday .. who would be available and for what time?? I will add.. Bookman's will always allow us to do a fundraiser there.. I could set up with them.. but it's not near any toys.. and not sure how much good it will do us to set up where there are not toys for sale.

I would like for ya'll to give me a firm yes or no though.. if we plan it.. can you for sure be there.. or not.. no problem if you can't.. but at least this way we will know where we stand.. so far the only for sure I know of is myself and Dustin.. and I want to say.. it is no crime if you really are not up for this event.. there is an awful lot going on this month.. it won't hurt to say you really want to skip this one.. we can just take a month off from fundraising and get ready for next year.. and blow them all away :)

I just don't anyone to feel like I am forcing them to participate.. it should be fun.. not work when we do this stuff.. well.. yes.. it is work.. but you know what I mean.. no one should feel dread coming from having to spend the day outside plugging for toys.

21. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    well...
    good luck and, live long and prosp....... ah ah a haa i mean uh may the force be with you

22. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I'm really, really busy but I will make an effort to do what I can (if time permits).

That whole thing with Target is just insane, kids in need are kids in need regardless of any effiliations, getting political noncence into it just hurts the kids, IMHO

23. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Screw Target. Anways, let not do a drive, lets just get permission to do a show up, somewhere where there are going to be kids, want to see if we can get into UMC or TMC's childrens areas? I can call em, BUT I would not be crushed if we did nothing, we are bus and cash is going elsewhere. I do t hink something should be done, but maybe just a christmas visit from Vader and ChewyClause would suffice, are there any orphanages around?

24. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    dude toys r us
    com'on now
    toys r us has almost everything!
    kids love it there
    and plus the ones in san diego carry master replicas

25. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    reminds me I need to get the measurements of your helmet and of Chewie's head to make you guys Christmas hats. Jango's too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.