main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Do you believe in ghost/have had a paranormal experience?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Allana_Rey, Feb 4, 2013.

?

Do you believe in ghost/have had a paranormal experience?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    69.1%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    like I stated above, things concerning the brain means they are governed by the rules of quantum mechanics and Schrödinger's wave equations as well.

also this includes The particle-wave duality, the uncertainty principle, and of course, entanglement.

just like you stated

2. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

yo could break everything down to information, and that information is never gone..

Leonard Suskind will disagree with you

3. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    when I call someone an idiot I hope you call me out on it, until than I said glossed over it, so don't stretch what happened in this reality..

thanks now play again

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    That's not how it works at all.

Edit: Stop pretending to know what Leonard Susskind would think of everyone in this thread.

5. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    As far as I remember when I had a interest in this stuff. "Energy" is not a proper term because there is no such thing as energy.
    You have to define what "energy" is. I seem to remember alot of people calling the stuff everything is made up of as information
    or bits.

But gain , even if I'm a little coy here I don't assume I have the only answer or right answer. I think I remember a few seeing
    "energy"in this way. "Energy" exists in quantum processes , systems.

6. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    well than add something to ths convo already...

I understand what Susskind said, especially his papers on black holes...

see the problem youre having is that you think I believe in the paranormal. I never said I believe in it. what I said was if your consciousness is energy no one knows for sure what happens to it once you die..

but if you factor in quantum mechanics its never goes away, the data is always stored.

7. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    there are many names for it and youre correct in what you said.

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    My response on the topic of paranormal was in response to yodathegreenwhatever, not you, so no, that's not my problem at all.

Your problem is that you believe there is some energy the brain releases that is stored somewhere when there is no evidence for it.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Luckily, some of us can read between the lines.

10. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    of course there is evidence for it, I posted it earlier but you choose to completely ignore it...

if brain activity and thought is electrical energy than it falls under the constraints of quantum mechanics and Scrodeingers theories.

11. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    thank god youre here for that...

12. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    And what part of quantum mechanics involves it heading off to other dimensions, as was your allegation at some point?

13. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    Ghosts and most other super natural things that supposedly happen are just a theory at BEST. I acknowledge that completely. There are PHDS who are pretty intelligent who study these things but they don't claim to have ideas that alter the entire way we perceive reality. Quantum entanglement, the measurement problem...all old things...all very old things...

I entertain their research and that's all I have to say. ^ String Theory
    Multiverse theory ...things like that if you want to entertain them...

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    You mean a hypothesis at best. Theory IS the best. And it's not there at all.

15. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

how does particle physics work on the subatomic level... under quantum mechanics these particles appear and reappear through the dimensions of reality.

is that not true???

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Such constraints, incidentally, are why it can't actually propagate outside of the mind to the extent you are arguing. People like to make the generalization that a wave is completely unbounded because of QM, but that's not actually true in a practical sense.

"Waves" "propagate" (I dislike both of those terms because lol math) according to probabilistic distributions. A ludicrously high percentage of that distribution is confined to an unbelievably small area - the odds of it being found outside that area are so low, most theorists take them as naught. You actually normalize with a constraint that requires you to go to zero very rapidly (Behaving like x raised to a very large power outside of that range) outside of that very small area. Because of this, while our brain "waves" do "propagate" in a QM manner, they are basically confined to the brain. And those electromagnetic impulses essentially do vanish upon death, having long since been converted into a more usable form by the various chemical reactions in the human mind. That's the other thing most of these theories fail to take into account - yes, energy can neither be created or destroyed, but it can be converted into another form, and in this case, it's changed to chemical energy to facilitate those reactions I just mentioned. It's then stored in the molecular bonds of those chemicals. So when you're dead you're essentially this big, solid mass of assorted atomic goo, not really being used, but slowly, over time, those bonds break down and the energy dissipates as heat. That heat could go on to affect a whole host of other processes, so in that sense, you really are always going to be there as an unrecognizable mess of radiation. But in its recognizable form, your brain is gone. And that's okay, because in the end it's just a brain, and that is nothing compared to radiation.

It is not at all true - that's one explanation proposed for certain QM phenomena but it is neither the most widespread nor the most widely accepted; indeed, it's mostly bosh. QM is a manner of describing probability distributions for superstates wholly constrained to our own "reality" - nothing more, nothing less.

DarkSapiens likes this.
  17. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    first thing we see eye to eye on...

a theory in scientific world is the best..

18. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    alright but that information is stored though... is it not.... the data will always be out there and theoretically it could be put back together. theoretically.

19. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    No.
    Individual particles do not appear and disappear and then come back. Particles are indistinguishable. So, for example, there is no way to actually distinguish between one neutron and another, if you're talking about the neutrons themselves and not their configurations. It seems like you're trying to go somewhere with vacuum pressure and the like, but no part of that is "they go somewhere else then come back", it's that functionally new particles are appearing. It has nothing to do with other dimensions.

20. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    I got you to agree on something! HAHA sure whatever. Like I said I have bias , I've had experiences. I can't prove that I have had them. All I can do is keep an open mind. I do acknowledge that in lucid states of consciousness we can hallucinate , imagine almost anything to be true. But that doesn't convince me that I've had ordinary experiences. I know the brain is complicated, mostly not understood yet. I know that what I've experienced could be explained with basic psychology. I could hallucinate the results of a scientific experiment just as easily haha. It's all about recorded data . I don't have any...

Then it's interpreting the data. Most people want something that is experimentally proven or provable. All I can do is keep an open mind , and there are alot of experiments out there. Double Slit experiment though very basic is a interesting one to look at. It's all very interesting but I admit we just need more information. We wouldn't call it research if we knew what we were doing. (xd another one of Albert's, I consider him a philosopher)

It might be a goose chase, I don't know. But I try to validate it all just the same. I admit that there are set backs because of personal bias from the scientists and a lack of scientific discipline on my behalf.

But I feel privileged to know or at least believe that there is still alot to learn because of what I've experienced.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Particle Physics works under quantum field theory and using the dirac equation, not the schrodinger equation which you keep bringing up. They don't appear and reappear through dimensions of reality.

22. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    proponents of string theory says that's what happens.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm not familiar with whether proponents of string theory say exactly that. But let's say they do:

1) We already discussed how string theory is not established science.
    2) You said under particle physics and quantum mechanics they appear and reappear. Those aren't string theory.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  24. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Vivec is two for two on this point.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  25. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    but string theory and quantum mechanics go hand in hand