main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Do you believe in ghost/have had a paranormal experience?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Allana_Rey, Feb 4, 2013.

?

Do you believe in ghost/have had a paranormal experience?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    69.1%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't believe in life after death, so no.

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'm a Christian, so I believe on what could be described as the supernatural. As for having a paranormal experience, no, I've never had one.

However, my brother swears to this day that Nick's Grove, a tavern in my home town that has long since been torn down, was haunted. And a bar in nearby South Plainfield, NJ (Liquid Assets), is supposedly haunted, and the owners play that fact up in advertising.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Checkmate, atheists.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I remember that story. I had something similar happen to me two years ago. I'm sure it was the ghost of the old woman that had died in that same bedroom.

Haha no, I was lucid dreaming.

5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I used to have dreams like that. Someone looming over the bed, or standing in a corner of the bedroom. Sometimes big insect/spiders the size of terriers dangling over my head. Eventually I taught myself to recognize that I was dreaming instead of shaking my wife awake and yelling "WHO'S THERE," or "WHAT IS THAT????"

6. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Whoa, what kind of drugs were you on? Those are pretty terrifying dreams.

As per the OP, I believe in ghosts and the supernatural only in that we don't know everything about the universe. Maybe it is perfectly "natural" for a spirit to attach to something, and we just don't know it yet. Strange, unexplained things happen. Instead of attacking those who see it as the work of the divine or whatnot, I prefer to celebrate that someone has found meaning in it. Western Science (all hail the almighty Method) is only one way of knowing, and there are others that are also valid.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    But do you believe in life after love?

8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Sleep paralysis is linked to lucid dreaming, and sleep paralysis usually features extremely terrifying visions, usually "visitors". It's pretty rational to pine on it most cases of ghost visitations, succubi assaults and alien abduction. And Jesus.

jp-30 and DarkSapiens like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    On this planet? Yes. :p

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    my old pastor had similar instances where he woke up and saw a "spirit" at the foot of his bed, was pinned to the bed etc. he said this was a demon, obviously. he also reckoned he went to heaven. like, actually went to heaven. and he preached about all of this in church. he was basically a lunatic.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I had zero issues with my experience, but I told my best friend about it and he had trouble sleeping for the next two nights. :)

12. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I had a time in my life for about 2 1/2 years when it got really bad: an endless parade of night visitors, not ever doing anything specific other than being vaguely threatening. This was pre-internet, so I couldn't just Google what was going on. Teaching myself to talk the dream down without actually waking up took about 3 or 4 months. Now I have one of these dreams maybe once a year. For a while though the anxiety about having them was feeding into me actually having more of them, a self-reinforcing amplification of the dreaming.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I woke up the other day and saw a bunch of spirits at the foot of my bed:
    [​IMG]

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I Are The Internets : Those are the best kind. ;) Except for that stuff in front on the right. [face_sick]

15. DarkSapiens

DarkSapiens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2005
    At one point I decided to write down the scientific reasons that make me not believe in the existence of a soul (or even a mind as an entity separated from the body) because I found it was gonna be easier just to link to it than to try to explain those reasons over and over in discussions such as this… http://darksapiens-en.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/physics-and-metaphysics-brain-and-soul.html

And BTW, at some point in the thread someone mentioned Dark Matter as being 'fringe sience'… As an astrophysicist I can confirm that dark matter and dark energy are part of the standard model (i.e. the most supported by evidence) in Cosmology right now…

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The cost of said stuff is the most terrifying aspect. 30 bucks? [face_nail_biting]

17. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    In its broadest interpretation, I consider myself a yes to he question, in the sense that the set of phenomena that are usually called ghosts do include a subset of real and confusing events that I don't have a good answer on how one would explain. I don't, however, think that means those experiences are beyond the scope of scientific understanding and certainly don't link it to the presumption of souls or anything of that sort. But I do think of it as a class of phenomenon that need greater understanding.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  18. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I have experiences I don't believe that science CANT explain them. Even the Dali Lama has found science...

19. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Yes but only insofar as I hope for my own ghost retrieval system and containment unit to be developed so they may be appropriately busted.

Sauntaero likes this.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I believe in the existence of souls. I believe in an afterlife. I don't really believe in ghosts though. I've never had a paranormal experience and I honestly don't think the supernatural reaches into our world very often, at least not in any kind of concrete, special ways.

21. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That part was because the title specifically says paranormal experience, and I consider them to be experiences that are normal, but insufficiently understood. It's just a not understood piece, and I somewhat broadly reject the idea that such poorly understood phenomena can be used as the basis for some of the far reaching claims people make based upon them.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I've had these dreams many times where IT tries to grab my leg and I wake up having lifted my leg into the air. Scary stuff but just dreams.

23. DarkSapiens

Oct 2, 2005
    The thing is, all the descriptions of supernatural phenomena fit well with what was mentioned before about hallucinations, sleep paralysis, lucid dreams, the imperfection of our eyesight and hearing, all kinds of cognitive biases, or even conscious tricks made by a third person to fool the one claiming to have had that experience, and there's no evidence that would rule out these explanations in favor of some explanation that is actually supernatural.

Leaving aside the fact that if something interacts with the physical world in any way then it is automatically measurable and part of the "natural" rather than supernatural, of course…

MrZAP and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  24. DarkSapiens

Oct 2, 2005
    "IT" as in… this "It"?

[​IMG]

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    lmao. Never a scary clown but IT as in some evil demon shadowy leg lifting thing. OMG, perhaps it's some evil aerobics instructor ghost trying to give me a 6-pack again!